Should I replace my grover tuners with locking tuners?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Locking tuners weigh more - if you're sensitive to tonal change in your guitar, you might find it responds a bit differently for having more weight on the headstock.

You could trial this by clipping on some coins or something. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Locking tuners weigh more - if you're sensitive to tonal change in your guitar, you might find it responds a bit differently for having more weight on the headstock.

A drop of snake oil at the base of each tuner should sort that out.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4326
    I love my gotoh sg381’s 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was asking myself the same question, then bought myself a set of cheap ones by Vanson to try the system out on one of my cheaper guitars. Haven’t looked back since. Even the low cost Vanson ones hold tuning well for me and make string changes so much easier.

I’m now working my way through the rest of my guitars and installing locking tuners into them. I’ve got a set of Kluson MLG33’s ones on the way from Thomann for my Gibson Les Paul that use a different technique (coin to tighten the string post), so we’ll see how I get on with that system as well. 
  • thegummy said:
    Locking tuners weigh more - if you're sensitive to tonal change in your guitar, you might find it responds a bit differently for having more weight on the headstock.

Give it a try, you might be surprised. You might find some of the sweet spots where notes sustain longer move or disappear, or are created (which is the goal apparently). 

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/fender-fatfinger-chrome-sustain-enhancer-guitar/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl4v4BRDaARIsAFjATPkifQ4yzBg_6TthXRm6SqrCoLnI4z-Hr008vLhzvU0mgmLSOnWxbmMaAiQ2EALw_wcB

And no, I don't recommend one ;) it's a silly invention, but it did lead me to believe that the mass of the headstock can affect the way an instrument responds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11535
    thegummy said:

Give it a try, you might be surprised. You might find some of the sweet spots where notes sustain longer move or disappear, or are created (which is the goal apparently). 

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/fender-fatfinger-chrome-sustain-enhancer-guitar/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl4v4BRDaARIsAFjATPkifQ4yzBg_6TthXRm6SqrCoLnI4z-Hr008vLhzvU0mgmLSOnWxbmMaAiQ2EALw_wcB

And no, I don't recommend one ;) it's a silly invention, but it did lead me to believe that the mass of the headstock can affect the way an instrument responds. 

Paul Reed Smith says that the mass of the headstock affects things.  That's why they changed the design of their locking tuners - to make them lighter.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The mass of the headstock affects the resonance of the neck, which is probably the most important factor in the sound of a solid electric guitar after the pickups.

It's not always a very dramatic effect, but it can sometimes be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Just as quick to do a locking wind
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    You can adjust how tight they are with the screw down the middle of the shaft. I'd try that before going any further. I've never had locking tuners but never had any problems with my non locking ones. I've got grovers on my the Paul (about 40yo) and think they're very good.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1380
    Locking tuners make string changes quicker, but I haven't found them to have any advantage in terms of tuning stability compared to non-locking.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, if there is a weight difference between the old and new tuners it will potentially have a noticeable impact on the resonance of the neck, and this may or may not be an "improvement" to your ears or it might just be different as opposed to better or worse. 

And yes, Graphtech saddles do change the tone a bit, again, this might fall into the categories of "different", "better" or "worse". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The mass of the headstock affects the resonance of the neck, which is probably the most important factor in the sound of a solid electric guitar after the pickups.

It's not always a very dramatic effect, but it can sometimes be.

I should have tried that with the Reaper I had to return because of the dead spot...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    octatonic said:
    I don't bother with locking tuners on non-trem guitars personally.
    roberty said:
    Just as quick to do a locking wind
    I agree with these two. If the guitar won’t stay in tune then locking tuners aren’t the answer. If you’re stringing up using the Martin method then locking tuners are no quicker. If you’re not doing it that way then you should be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2649
    I'm pretty sensitive about guitar weight but have never found the extra weight of locking tuners to make a noticeable difference.  Just be careful to get reasonably light ones.

As for the proposition that non-locking tuners are just as quick to restring, not remotely my experience.  I currently have 4 guitars with locking tuners, 3 with non-locking.  I use the locking wind method. the non-locking guitars are considerably more faff to change strings on.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3180
    edited July 2020
    Lockers on all my electrics  guitars and mostly Sperzels. The Gotohs lockers  referred to earlier are a pain and we’re quickly junked and never got on with the PRS winged ones
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • YearofthegoatYearofthegoat Frets: 31
    edited July 2020
    Any recommendations for replacement tuners on a MIJ (M-series '92-'93) non-Silver Series Squier Strat? They're the oval ones with a chevron shape on the back:

It doesn't seem to want to hold tuning too well. I've decked the trem, checked and graphited the nut and the saddles, plus some vaseline under the tree (there's only one) but even then doesn't seem to want to stay in tune very long.

Strings aren't at all new, and I find stretching them sends them flat, so then I tune them up and then of course they go a bit sharp. Ideally I'd like to be able to un-deck the trem, but first things first I guess.

Mr Erlewine recommends Gotoh Magnum-Lock-Trad 6 SG381s on one of his YT vids.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73119

Strings aren't at all new, and I find stretching them sends them flat, so then I tune them up and then of course they go a bit sharp.
    They're sticking in the nut.

If you've put some graphite in it already, the most likely cause is that the grooves are too tight or shaped wrongly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers ICBM, I did wonder, hence the pencil shavings.

Strings are EB Super Slinkys 9-42, no mods to the nut (although it is 28 years old now of course) - might try some more graphite and less of a down-angle perhaps.

(Sorry to the OP for the OT)

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4326
    I was asking myself the same question, then bought myself a set of cheap ones by Vanson to try the system out on one of my cheaper guitars. Haven’t looked back since. Even the low cost Vanson ones hold tuning well for me and make string changes so much easier.

I’m now working my way through the rest of my guitars and installing locking tuners into them. I’ve got a set of Kluson MLG33’s ones on the way from Thomann for my Gibson Les Paul that use a different technique (coin to tighten the string post), so we’ll see how I get on with that system as well. 
    I’ve heard good things about them, had some on a tele once ,seemed pretty damn good
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    I've only got them on one guitar, can't say they've changed my life.