Roasted Maple neck/fingerboard brittle?

What's Hot
ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Seriously contemplating another Suhr S style now (the others are rosewood boards), does anyone know if a roasted maple fingerboard is more prone to chip out if a refret is required in future?  I know there's a lot of stories around about the timber potentially being brittle?  I know it would be a way off as they have SS frets fitted though!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited July 2020
    I have a roasted maple Fender  Strat neck and the corner of the  headstock flourish has chipped slightly .No idea how it happened as I had only fitted it a few weeks earlier and hadnt gigged, dropped it  or even knocked as far as I know so baffled .It obviously took a bash but no idea when .I was a bit surprised though.Despite years of misused and abuse none of my other Fenders ever had a mark on it .So who knows .Lovely neck though so who cares .
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Im not sure roasted maple has been around enough for many to have experienced enough refrets to say for sure... But I would approach it the same way I do ebony, as that can also be very brittle.

Might need a little more care, but I don't expect it to be a show stopper
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    If you’ve not read it already this thread has some views on the roasted maple thing ..,

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/184845/upgrading-a-mexican-fender-worth-it
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    Thanks, I've had an Ebony neck refretted before and know that the guy took a lot more time to be careful to avoid chip out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    As you will already know I detest roasted maple, but stainless steel frets make the question irrelevant since they won't need replacing within the lifetime of the neck, so don't worry about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein