Show us your all rosewood neck Teles

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Let’s see yours!

I used to think I didn’t like them. Then I saw this:

I don’t like relics much either, but it all just works for me on this particular model. I think it’s the absence of the shitty relicing that you’d see on a maple board, and the colour of those dots! 

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    I love all rosewood necks. My problem with Fender doing them is they emboss the logo into the wood but don't usually colour in the logo, so it looks like a partscaster from a distance. I like that one above specifically because the Fender logo is actually visible.

This is what I'm talking about:

Anyone who hasn't tried an all rosewood neck owes it to themselves to give it a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28044
    There's this one ...

Or there's this one ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited July 2020
    @TTony is it safe to assume your a fan then? What do you like most, is it purely the aesthetics or something else? Are they GSP builds?
    I just love the feel of rosewood.

I prefer natural wood anyway, rather than something that's been suffocated in plastic, and always oil-finish my own-build necks through choice.

My favourite used to be mahogany,  Sort of warm and soft feeling (whereas maple always felt harder) and smooth to play - though that's always helped by a simple oil finish.     But then I tried rosewood, which - to my hands - just felt nicer still.  Plus, I prefer the look, grain pattern and colouring of rosewood.

The one with the skunk strip is a Warmoth custom job.  It was pricey, but the £/$ rate was a whole lot better at the time.

The top one was made out of an old piece of Rosewood that I stumbled across at David Dyke's many years ago.  I sat on it (not literally) thinking that one day I'd trust myself enough to make a neck out of it.  But GSP makes far better necks than I ever will, so I ended up sending it to him.

I've got others, but you asked for *Telecasters*
    :)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    Iamnobody said:
    Let’s see yours!

I used to think I didn’t like them. Then I saw this:

I don’t like relics much either, but it all just works for me on this particular model. I think it’s the absence of the shitty relicing that you’d see on a maple board, and the colour of those dots! 
    I had one exactly like that but didn’t really like it. The feel of the back of the neck was lovely and smooth and satin-like. But the board was lacquered like a maple neck and that just felt wrong to me. Plus it had the typical Relic finger wear marks through the lacquer in the board like you get on a maple neck Relic, and that seemed odd too. And I thought the dark almost black look of the neck front and back just didn’t look right on a Tele. The idea of it really appealed to me and that’s why I bought one but I just didn’t really like it in the flesh. I tried to sell mine on here and couldn’t shift it, so it went to VnR in Bath and after a fair old while they sold it for me.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9618
    I had that model too. It sounded sublime. I ended up selling it because fender had lacquered the neck and the nitro was really sticky. I regret letting it go though.
    Good to hear the forums experience. I’m surprised they tried to relic the fingerboard. It sounds like the fingerboard is like a Ric. Also quite telling that 2 former owners no longer have theirs.

@ttony - yes only interested in Teles thanks although I’m sure they look equally good on Stratalikes and probably others.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112

A Rosewood neck is sublime
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Do rosewood necks make guitars sound even warmer than those with mahogany necks?
    edited July 2020
    Iamnobody said:
    Good to hear the forums experience. I’m surprised they tried to relic the fingerboard. It sounds like the fingerboard is like a Ric. Also quite telling that 2 former owners no longer have theirs.

@ttony - yes only interested in Teles thanks although I’m sure they look equally good on Stratalikes and probably others.

To be fair, I think @chris78 has probably sold more guitars than most people will ever own, so don’t draw any conclusions from him having sold his

Although anyone who lacquers a Rosewood neck needs something painful doing to them, even if their name if Fender.  Rosewood necks are meant to be felt and enjoyed “au naturel”.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9618
    TTony said:

To be fair, I think @chris78 has probably sold more guitars than most people will ever own, so don’t draw any conclusions from him having sold his

Although anyone who lacquers a Rosewood neck needs something painful doing to them, even if their name if Fender.  Rosewood necks are meant to be felt and enjoyed “au naturel”.
    Guilty as charged. There's plenty I regret too. That rosewood necked tele is definitely one though. All 3 positions were lovely, but as on any good tele, the bridge was one of the best sounding I've ever played. 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 677
     Here's mine. I used to dislike Rosewood neck's on Tele's as well, but not now! Love them, and much prefer their look over a maple neck

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    edited July 2020
     Here's mine. I used to dislike Rosewood neck's on Tele's as well, but not now! Love them, and much prefer their look over a maple neck

This thread is talking about rosewood necks, not maple necks with rosewood fingerboards.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 677
    Lebarque said:

This thread is talking about rosewood necks, not maple necks with rosewood fingerboards.
    Ah. My bad!
    Lebarque said:

Ah. My bad!
    It looks good though. I was always a fan of maple boards but I’m being turned. I think it was more a contrast with most Gibson’s. I liked that my Fender’s were completely different.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    OK, I guess I'm stretching the Tele tag a bit here, but this is my self-built powerhouse guitar 'Angel'. I didn't actually have a pic of the back of the neck so I just whipped out and took one.

I LOVE rosewood necks!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1398
    axisus said:
    OK, I guess I'm stretching the Tele tag a bit here, but this is my self-built powerhouse guitar 'Angel'. I didn't actually have a pic of the back of the neck so I just whipped out and took one.

I LOVE rosewood necks!

I bloody love that!
    How very rock and roll
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    That one is very cool 
    Always good to see Angel again!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    TTony said

Wisdom!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll