I’ll never be a ‘proper’ rock star

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11445
    Never mind the effects of what you've taken, how can you not need to run off for a wee every few minutes? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10 pint bladder
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i wont even drink half pint if im gigging. i know that if i drink a pint or more it impairs my playing so even half would psycho-symatically make me suffer. however i often tell the audience that the more they drink, the better we will sound
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10606
    Danny1969 said:
    DLM said:
    I cannae play after a half or even a strong coffee. :( Even at home it's no fun unless I'm sober.

Paging Mr. StellaArtoisCaster himself, @Danny1969

Teach us, Master!
    Ha Ha ..... well all I can say is practice practice practice ...... I've been drinking and playing for so long now that the drink doesn't really affect my playing within reason. I can 6 or 7 pints and be fine guitar wise. However I do a lot more vocals these days and my tuning suffers after about 4 or 5 pints .... I listen back to stuff people put on facebook and occasionally  think ooh that's a bit flat !
    Spirits are out for me though when gigging .... wine is OK but I wouldn't touch spirits. With beer you feel the effect linearly with time, with spirits you can be fine one minute and completely wankered the next ... at least I can be. 

The bass player in my main band is a beer monster, did 13 pints at one gig - The Colonial Bar, Horndean in 2004 ish ... he's a big fella mind!

Can you post a pic of your Stella strat , I always like to see it 
    There you go mate .... seems like years since I gig'ed 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    Presumably, that guitar is your beater? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I’m not sure why it comes as a surprise that Page, Hendrix, Slash, Gallagher, Green, Clapton et al are
    A - better at playing guitar than you, and
    B - better at doing drugs than you. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4326
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    DLM said:
    I cannae play after a half or even a strong coffee. :( Even at home it's no fun unless I'm sober.

Paging Mr. StellaArtoisCaster himself, @Danny1969

Teach us, Master!
    Ha Ha ..... well all I can say is practice practice practice ...... I've been drinking and playing for so long now that the drink doesn't really affect my playing within reason. I can 6 or 7 pints and be fine guitar wise. However I do a lot more vocals these days and my tuning suffers after about 4 or 5 pints .... I listen back to stuff people put on facebook and occasionally  think ooh that's a bit flat !
    Spirits are out for me though when gigging .... wine is OK but I wouldn't touch spirits. With beer you feel the effect linearly with time, with spirits you can be fine one minute and completely wankered the next ... at least I can be. 

The bass player in my main band is a beer monster, did 13 pints at one gig - The Colonial Bar, Horndean in 2004 ish ... he's a big fella mind!

Can you post a pic of your Stella strat , I always like to see it 
    There you go mate .... seems like years since I gig'ed 

Awesome thanks. It’s a beauty . 24 frets ,Floyd is that a matching painted headstock too.
    what sort of strat is it 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10606

Thanks @hollywoodrox ;

It's custom made for me by Sims in Kent. The body is like a les Paul, Mahogany with Maple cap. The neck is also a Gibson scale length, 24 fret and made of heavily figured Maple with a Rosewood figureboard. The profile is exactly the same as an 85 Les Paul that was my main guitar before I got this. Basically the LP was taking up there and the profile copied. The tuners are locking, the trem only goes down Van Halen style. The nut is a roller nut.  Pickups are EMG 85 and 89, one volume and a kill switch. The headstock is matched and says Fender Stellacaster ... as he's licensed to do official Fender work like paint and LED for corporate advertising he was allowed to do that. 
    The fit, finish and setup is staggeringly good. The action is the lowest I've ever seen on any guitar, when I hand it to someone for a noodle they generally can't believe an action can be this low and not buzz. 

In the 12 years I've had it I've worn out the jack socket and replaced the volume pot twice over about a 1000 gigs. The finish on the guitar is still perfect though, whatever paint he used it's rock hard. 

If anyone wonders about getting a guitar made with very specific specs and how it fares over the years I can say it's been an amazing guitar and great advertising for me as a muso  ... because everyone remembers it and wants their photo taking with it. My taste has changed over the years though and so has my playing, I prefer the sound of passive pickups these days and use far less gain but I spec'ed these originally because we do so many gigs in marques, on generators, at festivals with dodgy electrics these are safe and completely noiseless. So it's still my main gig'ing guitar for rock music. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

Thanks @hollywoodrox ;

It's custom made for me by Sims in Kent. The body is like a les Paul, Mahogany with Maple cap. The neck is also a Gibson scale length, 24 fret and made of heavily figured Maple with a Rosewood figureboard. The profile is exactly the same as an 85 Les Paul that was my main guitar before I got this. Basically the LP was taking up there and the profile copied. The tuners are locking, the trem only goes down Van Halen style. The nut is a roller nut.  Pickups are EMG 85 and 89, one volume and a kill switch. The headstock is matched and says Fender Stellacaster ... as he's licensed to do official Fender work like paint and LED for corporate advertising he was allowed to do that. 
    The fit, finish and setup is staggeringly good. The action is the lowest I've ever seen on any guitar, when I hand it to someone for a noodle they generally can't believe an action can be this low and not buzz. 

In the 12 years I've had it I've worn out the jack socket and replaced the volume pot twice over about a 1000 gigs. The finish on the guitar is still perfect though, whatever paint he used it's rock hard. 

If anyone wonders about getting a guitar made with very specific specs and how it fares over the years I can say it's been an amazing guitar and great advertising for me as a muso  ... because everyone remembers it and wants their photo taking with it. My taste has changed over the years though and so has my playing, I prefer the sound of passive pickups these days and use far less gain but I spec'ed these originally because we do so many gigs in marques, on generators, at festivals with dodgy electrics these are safe and completely noiseless. So it's still my main gig'ing guitar for rock music. 

Man thanks so much for that info , sounds like the perfect guitar , the Gibson scale length is very nice ,what a treat to have that and the 24 frets, I bet the natural and pinch harmonics just leap out . Thanks again for sharing the awesome specs and story, I always admire it when I’ve seen it in pictures on a thread . Have a great day . . . Paul
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Danny1969 said:

My taste has changed over the years though
    When I read that I thought at first that you were referring to your taste in beer :-) New paint job (or new guitar) needed ...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    Nothing worse than playing gigs with people who are out of their heads on drink or drugs. It's never been anything but a horrible unpredictable experience for me.
    pigface said:
    Danny1969 said:

When I read that I thought at first that you were referring to your taste in beer :-) New paint job (or new guitar) needed ...
    Me too , I was hoping he was not going to say he had taken to drinking sherry lol :)
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1178
    pigface said:
    Danny1969 said:

Me too , I was hoping he was not going to say he had taken to drinking sherry lol :)
    He'd have to get a Harvey Bristol and put new pickups in it.