Sharp fret ends

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
I was looking for some cheap(ish) substitutes for my Gretsch 6120 and old Gibson ES-130 in case I put them up for sale as I'm trying to cut down, and found these lurking on eBay in the week. Clearly, then, the way to cut down is to buy more. Berk.

They both turned up on Friday - the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and a Peavey Rockingham, both models of which I've owned previously.

I haven't done anything to either of them yet, although the Godin turned up with flatwounds and it sounded as authentic a T-Bone Walker style as anything that I've ever had. More so, in fact, so I think I'll be using flats on it.

The Rockingham's in exceptional condition and sounds and feels great, with a neck that really suits me, but it has sharp fret ends. Whether this is from shrinkage or poor workmanship I don't know, but the chap had it for getting on for fifteen years from new and didn't appear to be too lacerated, so I don't know.

Now, I'm cack-handed, to the extent of possibly being the lovechild of Frank Spencer and Mr Bean, but I quite fancy having a go at this myself. Can anyone recommend a tool or a kit that isn't massively pricey that would help?

Or should I just take it to someone that actually knows what they're doing? I certainly would if it was an expensive guitar, but I don't want to put too much money into it. Although I have been wondering about P-90's, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    DB1 said:

Or should I just take it to someone that actually knows what they're doing?
    Yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited July 2020
    Succinct!

Edit: to be fair, you've seen my trying to park my car.

Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    DB1 said:
    Succinct!

Edit: to be fair, you've seen my trying to park my car.

Ha! I'm in the same boat - absolutely no finesse when trying to do something like that. Best leave it to the pros. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    Cool looking guitars.  Makes me think I should be a bit more adventurous in my guitar useage!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    edited July 2020
    My cheapo Gear4Music bass had sharp fret ends, I sorted it with a careful application of some fine wet & dry. I did buy some proper files too, but I haven't actually used them yet. The frets are fine now though, I can play it without cutting myself 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1608
    I bought my Jaguar from Wunjo in London, who (amazingly) give you three years of set-up help.

I am nearly a year in, and thought I would ask them to look at the fret ends. They certainly made them nicer by taking the burr of the edge, but they didn’t do anything with the sides (does that make sense ?) - so if you run your finger along the length of the neck, the frets are still somewhat sharp.

I can go back later in the year, so not a problem. But if you do take yours to a tech, make sure they know exactly what you want...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    That's a sweet looking guitar mate

I am also cack handed. I've owned a couple of guitars with sharp fret ends and I don't know whether I got used to them or they smoothed out over time with play, but it never bothered me after a few months
    Thanks all. Interesting point about letting a techknow about how I want the frets. I hadn't thought of that - I'll take along one that is perfect for comparison.

Interesting video as well - I know there are tools for the job - any recommendations, just in case I go daft and try it myself?  :o
    Call me Dave.
    roberty said:
    That's a sweet looking guitar mate

I am also cack handed. I've owned a couple of guitars with sharp fret ends and I don't know whether I got used to them or they smoothed out over time with play, but it never bothered me after a few months

Cheers @roberty - tbh, I was looking for a 'travel' guitar that I could take down to France with me in a few weeks that wouldn't need an amp. I'd had a 5th Avenue before, so I started having a look around. I really liked the look of this one and the neck is fantastic on it. It's just a great jump blues, blues and jazz feel. I thought it might also take the place of my 1955 Gibson ES-130.

I then fancied another Rockingham - I've been through more than a dozen Gretsches - Chet's Cochrans, Hot Rods, Falcons, Country Clubs, etc and never quite found a neck that suits me, The Vintage Select Chet that I have currently is the nearest to it, but I'm not 100% convinced, I knew the Rockingham's of old and thought it might be quite nice to get a cheapish substitute for my 6120 and maybe sell that.

They're both very good guitars, as it happens. The frets on the Rockingham need an 'Inspired by Freddie Krueger' sticker though.
    Call me Dave.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12117
    if they really stick out, send it back, if it just needs a rough edge smoothing, get some 1000 grade sandpaper and rub it down, I did this with one guitar
    I collected this one - the rest of it was so nice, for not much money, that I thought it was worth addressing the fret issues myself. They're not really sticking out, just sharp. It's actually set up very nicely - it had a high action, but that was all. I'm tempted to give it a go. Then take it to be repaired. :)
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    edited July 2020
    Stewmac do a ‘fret end file‘ for exactly this purpose - I bought one many years ago and I think it’s a brilliant tool. I can’t put up a shelf straight but I can smooth any sharp fret ends on my guitars without damaging anything. I’m sure Stewmac aren’t the only people to do one, and if you watch a couple of videos before tackling the job what could possibly go wrong?! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    It once took me a day and a half to put a kitchen utensil rack up - upside down - so, as you say, what could possibly go wrong? =)
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    If its just sharp fret edges I used a spoon shank or a screwdriver shank and run it up and down the fret board edges making a raking noise .If the sharpness is not actual fret sprout it works well  but not if the frets are sticking out ,Then its down to files  and sandpaper or wet a dry .I have just done this to a Recording king parlour .it had unfinished fret edges but the screwdriver or what ever just takes the  edges off it and also rounds the board a mite .Worth doing on all guitars
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19460
    These are pretty affordable for a fret dressing attempt that you may or may not decide never to go ahead with   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irich-Guitar-Clean-Polish-Tools/dp/B07C1TSWCF/ref=pd_sbs_267_1/258-3914969-3310036?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C1TSWCF&pd_rd_r=5bb1d6e8-6e0e-4d41-81d3-c4758e1d625a&pd_rd_w=XZPhK&pd_rd_wg=zNWkD&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=FPP4PHYF3H3CGDF0XDQC&psc=1&refRID=FPP4PHYF3H3CGDF0XDQC

Alternatively you could try gently dressing the ends with a metal diamond/sapphire nail file.
    You can't do any real damage unless you go really crazy & you might just fix it  ;)
    Thanks all. I think I'll have a go.

Farewell, sweet Rockingham.
    Call me Dave.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Brize said:
    DB1 said:

Or should I just take it to someone that actually knows what they're doing?
    Yes.
    +1 ...  
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2045
    edited July 2020
    I'm thinking about having a go on my strat, but the frets aren't sharp - I can just feel them more than normal. It's an odd situation and one I don't want to pay a lot to correct.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8156
    My local luthier does mine. Lovely guy, does an amazing job. He did an SG for me at the weekend. Polished and levelled the frets, sorted the fret ends, intonation, cut the nut properly, cleaned and lubed the fretboard, fresh strings...and, he knew the guitar was a gift for my daughter, so he T-Cut and polished the whole guitar to a glistening shine. 

Only charged me £30. And, as always, his work is amazing. 

Every one of my guitars goes through his hands, when I’ve sold guitars here in the past, buyers have usually commented on the excellent setup. 

I know I should learn how to do all of this, but I am the most ham-fisted-butter-fingered-clumsy-gimp in the world, and each one of the steps listed above is an opportunity to really f@#k a guitar up. I’d rather pay a bit for some peace of mind, a stunning setup, and support a local businessman and friend. 

PS. the Rockingham is nice, great build quality. The original models were made by Peerless, and were made on the same production line as the Gretsch Historic Series G3131, and the Carlo Robelli CRB1955. All the models are identical save for headstock logo. I think they moved later production runs away from Korea, but still built to the same standard and design. 

If you do end up swapping the pickups (and I recommend you do), then also consider replacing the wiring loom, as it was a weak point. Would benefit from better quality wiring and pots. 

Lovely guitar, and a proper USA Bigsby B6!!