Tone wiring for HB into a strat?

What's Hot
Im ( well not me, my guitar tech!) putting a pretty high output bridge HB into my SSS Squier Classic Vibe strat soon. 

What’s the best way for him to wire the tone control? I see people talking about wiring it so one tone is for the bridge and the other is for the middle and neck?

Is there a reason for this? Or what’s the best way to do it?

Any advice is appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    If you do it that way, you can use a 500K pot with a .022uF cap for the humbucker, and a 250K pot with a .047uF cap for the single coils, which gives more of the classic sound for each. You can also use a 500K volume pot with a 470K resistor in parallel when the single coils are selected, to give the 'correct' loading for both types of pickup. The disadvantage is that you then can't use the selector switch to auto-split the humbucker in the bridge/middle position, which gives a better 'Stratty' sound there.

Some people prefer to stick with the original neck and middle tone controls with none on the bridge pickup. If you do that and use separate tone caps for the two pickups, with each directly wired to its tone control, then you can auto-split the humbucker.

If you never use the tone control on the middle pickup (or never use the middle pickup alone) then you can have separate 500K/.022uF and 250K/.047uF tone controls for the bridge and neck pickups, *and* auto-split the humbucker.

Does any of that make sense? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Does any of that make sense? :)
    Nope! But I’m sure it will to him!
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 265
    ICBM said it as good as you'll hear/read it. Wave that in front of your tech and see what he thinks is best  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Coil-split would be important if you don't get on with the humbucker (on certain tunes if not at all). Sometimes it can be hard to get away from what you're used to. Or the option of switching back based on the song.