What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16088
Anybuddy ever tried one?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2020
    Mike Vanden's jazz guitars are awesome things but not cheap. Don't know if he still does it, but he also did a wonderful 335 style guitar. There are not too many around due the the fact that he builds to order ( that's assuming he is still doing it ).  He used to work from Strontian, Ardnamurchan. Have you come across one of his guitars ?
    edited July 2020
    Should also add that he is the guy behind the fishman rare earth pickup. I have a couple of his originals ( called mimesis when he made them )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16088
    Artie

I saw Martin taylor with the most beautiful outrageous guitar i have ever seen (sig model) that started me off on the research path, as it always does...i have also seen on his site the 335 natural with thistle inlay  *sigh*

Oh, and there has been one sitting on eBay for months....as you say not cheap but a class above methinks...lovely

tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    Artie

I saw Martin taylor with the most beautiful outrageous guitar i have ever seen (sig model) that started me off on the research path, as it always does...i have also seen on his site the 335 natural with thistle inlay  *sigh*

Oh, and there has been one sitting on eBay for months....as you say not cheap but a class above methinks...lovely

I've passed his place many a time and resisted the temptation to go and order something I really could not afford. Mind you, Martin Taylor could make anything sound good, what a player !
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16088
    You tried one Mr Bear...? .the Vandens not Martin Taylor
    tae be or not tae be
    Played a couple of arch tops over the years, probably earlier builds. Absolutely beautiful things. incredibly responsive, as much an acoustic as an electric. My jazz chops really couldn't do them justice.
    Hootsmon said:
    Artie

Wow that eBay guitar is lovely. For a handmade Jazz box the price is very good. Exactly the same as Marin Taylors Vanden.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3188
    Yes have played some Vandens and worth every penny , and have a mimesis on Mrs M’s guitar she won’t let me pinch!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hootsmon said:
    Anybuddy ever tried one?
    I have one, a solid body prs style in red sunburst tiger stripe maple front and mahogany body, with 24 frets on a rosewood board, 2 Seymore jb's, and a non trem fine tune bridge. There are only 3 made and each one was a different colour and different pick ups and bridges, the other 2 are a tobacco sunburst and a blonde front. I heard George Martin of Abbey Road fame bought one for his son but I have never seen them again. i got mine from "The Guitar Store" in Glasgow in 1991 and it sounds amazing and plays real fast. Good for all sorts of styles, the bridge pickup can also be made single coil and out of phase or in phase.
  • xemorejxemorej Frets: 14
    edited April 2021
    My Vanden
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nngj39bn8kt3cw1/AABZWgw-Si_pfZhdEuXGrab3a?dl=0
    Link not working now, new link to photos in a new post further down !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stanstan Frets: 190
    I ordered a sunburst 335 of him about 30 odd years ago. It was utter perfection. I sold it when I needed the money but it`s the only 335 i`d ever buy if I had the spare cash again. really nice guy too ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Wow - very nice instruments.  I can't see any pricing on the website - any idea on what they cost?
    chris45 said:
    Wow - very nice instruments.  I can't see any pricing on the website - any idea on what they cost?
    About £4000 I think, there was an article in Guitar Magazine on a jazz semi he made, I will see if I can upload it, I saved it from the magazine years ago !
    edited February 22
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2515
    edited April 2021

• HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 15
    emorej said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Anybuddy ever tried one?
    I have one, a solid body prs style in red sunburst tiger stripe maple front and mahogany body, with 24 frets on a rosewood board, 2 Seymore jb's, and a non trem fine tune bridge. There are only 3 made and each one was a different colour and different pick ups and bridges, the other 2 are a tobacco sunburst and a blonde front. I heard George Martin of Abbey Road fame bought one for his son but I have never seen them again. i got mine from "The Guitar Store" in Glasgow in 1991 and it sounds amazing and plays real fast. Good for all sorts of styles, the bridge pickup can also be made single coil and out of phase or in phase.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have the blonde prs style Vanden, which I bought from the same store around the same time. It's been in my brother's attic for the last 30 years and I should get a look at it fairly soon.