Need recommendations for lightweight playable electric guitar

What's Hot
Ohhenry97Ohhenry97 Frets: 0
edited October 2020 in Guitar
I have been playing for a few years but would by no means consider myself amazing! I have an electro-acoustic and a epiphone les paul that has been passed down. 

I want to purchase my own electric guitar which is more suited to me. I would like it to be lightweight, a slim neck, easily stay in tune and be compatible with pedals. I have read that the epiphone les paul sl cuts out the added effects of pedals. 

I don't wish to spend more than around £150-200 and despite wanting it to be compatible with pedals I'm not too fussy on the quality of the pick ups as I only intend to use it to play about and practice different things.  guitar tones

I play different types of music so not really looking for a specific sound just something that can cover all bases. 

As well as the les paul sl, I have also looked at the squier affinity strat, and the bullet strat. The reviews with them being cheaper guitars are mixed to bad but I wondered if anyone with more knowledge than me would be able to say whether those guitars would be good for what I'm looking for, or alternatively recommend me others.
Taqdeer Movie Guitar

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Yamaha Pacifica or it's derivatives Yamaha ERG121 (which is the same but with an extra humbucker).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3911
    I bought a Squier Bullet FSR Telecaster a month or so ago and I'm pleased with it. Playable out of the box, intonation spot on and works with my pedals. The neck suits me but whether that matches your idea of a slim neck only you can say.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 325
    While you are trying out a Yamaha Pacifica you could also try out some of the Ibanez guitars in your budget range as they are similarly light, have slim necks and stay in tune.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9838
    edited July 2020
    Pacifica 112V (don’t waste your time or hard-earned on the Pacifica 012 or 112J), or Squier Affinity Tele.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406

Slight work word of warning, you can't necessarily judge the weight by the brand and model - you have to know the specific weight of the actual guitar for sale and lower budget guitars may well vary dramatically because it likely won't have been selected for weight.

One of my pals recently took up the guitar again in his '50s and he bought a used Squier Affinity Strat. He took it to me to set it up for him. I was surprised just how lightweight it was and it sounded pretty good to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    A Yamaha Pacifica definitely fits the criteria. If you buy used you could even get one of the mid-range models for that budget.

Older Japanese and Korean Arias usually have slim necks too, even by comparison with other brands of the day, and usually sell in that price range (apart from some specific sought-after Japanese models).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    Another vote for Pacifica here, or possibly one of the cheaper Ibanez RG or Jackson Dinky models. They have slightly smaller bodies so they're generally quite lightweight, especially the Jacksons
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited July 2020
    The Affinity is good after a  decent set up and possibly a pickup change to alnico though the stock ceramics sound better once they are lowered . A used Squier SE  is always a good find being full size in all dimensions  and often cheap as they were a starter pack guitar .Dont let that put you off .A fine strat for about 20-60 quid on gumtree.Always needs a good set up    .If you can find a paulwonia bodied guitar your weight  issue will be solved .Often called Empress wood if you want to pay more .My cheapie to go is a Vintage Zip with a gold foil pickup stuck on it .Compact light  LP junior sized and very playable  ,neck to die for .Not to be allowed into genteel company though or those of a nervous disposition .
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Yamaha Pacifica or it's derivatives Yamaha ERG121 (which is the same but with an extra humbucker).

A Yamaha Pacifica (one of the better ones secondhand - 311) or secondhand PRS SE model.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    Pacifica as mentioned, or one of the new 'Vintage' branded guitars. I picked up a V6M24 for £150 when I wanted to start playing again and it was superb.