What's wrong with a PRS Vela? (other than being a PRS, obvs)

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I had a green metallic ,it looked ace. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    grungebob said:

Lovely stuff! To be fair I think I like them all, which is unlike me. I don't usually go for cherry finishes but the cherry Vela is gorgeous too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Apart from the metallic blue one they do I’d be happy to own any of them. They really are to me that rare guitar that seems to handle everything you throw at it but I get what people say when they think it doesn’t have its own thing going for it. 
    They play just about as good as any guitar possibly could and they are really comfy to boot. 
    Some people may be sick of me posting about this guitar below but to me it’s very very similar to the vela but perhaps a bit darker on the bridge and a tad more expressive on the neck, otherwise I think the two could be interchangeable. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    I used to have a satin charcoal version. Cat find any pics to hand, may be all long gone but it looked like this:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I've not owned a vela yet but I really like the look,  I nearly bought a reclaimed model when they did them and wish I had., Alternatively the antique white semi hollow looks great.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Whitecat said:
    I used to have a satin charcoal version. Cat find any pics to hand, may be all long gone but it looked like this:

Black on Black is my favourite on this.  Although I am leaning towards a gloss finish.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    Philly_Q said:

The best thing they did in the S2 range was the satin finishes.  They get knackered-looking quickly and they're the very antithesis of the core range.  I've got an S2 Singlecut Standard which I really like, but I wish I'd got the satin version (and of course I wish it had a slightly bigger neck). 

If it was up to me, I'd make the entire S2 range plain mahogany, no maple tops, no birds, all satin nitro finishes.  And I'd bring the Mira and Starla back into the S2 range, satin finishes, 22 frets and big fat fuck-off necks.  That'd be me sorted.

I'm a big fan of how those S2 Singlecut Satin look. I don't really like the PRS singlecut shape, sometimes just looks a bit of a shapeless blob to me but the pickguard gives it some hard edges and definition. I love that pattern regular neck though, much nicer than their wide/fat for me.

@Whitecat that satin charcoal Vela is awesome! PRS look way better in satin.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    edited July 2020
    Seeing as we're showing them off  
    Satin charcoal. Love the how the wood grain looks . It's starting to get some natural wear which is cool. I've done less than 10 gigs with this, which is when my guitars get a proper beating, so would be interested to see how it looks after 100+ like my beat ass CU24. 
    Satanic church stickers added to counter the ever progressing militant religious views of past bands vocalist . 

http://imgur.com/a/0vxHlsf

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    Oh man those satin charcoals are amazing! Is the tort guard stock on yours, @sgosden or did you add that when you put the Bare Knuckle in?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    DiscoStu said:
    Oh man those satin charcoals are amazing! Is the tort guard stock on yours, @sgosden or did you add that when you put the Bare Knuckle in?
    At some point they changed the guard from black to tort on the satin stuff. Might be two different model years. But you can also buy new guards direct from PRS aftermarket. 
    The guard was stock, it's a 2017 model I believe 
  • people often say that prs have dreadful resale value - i am not actually convinced thats true. I bought a custom 24 brand new new at a good price and have been offered the same price i paid in trade if required. I also see a number of custom 24's sold on reverb higher than the price i paid for mine. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4786
    PRS Paul Reed Smith S2 Vela Guitar Egyptian Gold Metallic
    Best colour of the lot - don't know why I sold it .....

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlw said:

is that Egyptian gold - that is lovely
  • grungebob said:

That is the best looking one I've seen. 

There is something about this model that doesn't quite do it for me. Maybe the body isn't quite big enough? I'm not sure. But that looks lovely! 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I think they look great - always fancied one but just put off by the bridge - two saddles gives me the impression that intonation will be poor
    I think they look great - always fancied one but just put off by the bridge - two saddles gives me the impression that intonation will be poor
    I’m very sensitive to intonation issues I might not be a good musician but I can hear tuning issues easily. I never had an issue with a Vela. 
    I'd say the tuning on the Vela is very stable. It reacts a bit more dramatically than the CU24 to heat (ie getting up to stage temperature) . 
    But really I'd say even live I'd check and slightly adjust both after first song... Then 24 every 4or5 songs, Vela 3or 4. 
    ... Les Paul at least twice per song 
    grungebob said:
    I’m very sensitive to intonation issues I might not be a good musician but I can hear tuning issues easily. I never had an issue with a Vela. 
    Have you used a capo with it much? One reason I didn't get on with 3 saddles on my Tele was intonation, particularly when using a capo (which I use a lot)
    rlw said:

is that Egyptian gold - that is lovely
    That gold colour is stunning