A 1951 Fender Esquire

What's Hot
A friend of mine has been lending me various guitars from his vintage collection to film. Needless to say he has great taste - here's his 1951 Fender Esquire in action, it was a real privilege to play/film this one, enjoy!

Alas it went home today :(
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2476
    Very well done Stuart! I enjoyed that immensely  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14865
    tFB Trader
    Your no mug with a guitar in your hand are you Stuart - Some excellent playing - And yes 1 p/up can offer a host of tonal options
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    Esquire, what a great guitar and love what they can do with less.  Nice vid fella, I laughed a little when you said alas it had to go home. Didn't think you'd want to give it up after that vid.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • stuartryanmusicstuartryanmusic Frets: 172
    edited July 2020
    Ha ha! Yes, collected this morning although a 1955 Les Paul Special is on the cards next! 

Mark @guitars4you - I remember foolishly leaving one of the best Teles I never bought at your shop about 12 years ago (sunburst relic, neck humbucker) back when a CS Tele was about £1800...those were the days! I think I bought a G&L soon after that predictably didn't stay...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9636
    What a superb sounding guitar and nice playing. There’s a sound there that modern teles just don’t get, even the best of them
  • It really does have its own tone - I compared it to my '52 Relic Custom Shop which is a great Tele but it doesn't have the 'bright yet warm' quality of this one
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Great playing and video overall, much appreciated!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2053
    Thank you for that treat - I'm not a Tele guy but love your playing (usually watch your acoustic vids :) )
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 351
    Excellent video and playing. Thanks for sharing.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    Just goes to show, you only really need that one pickup, I have a 5 way in my 62 custom esquire ( reissue), my only critique of the vid is- I wish you had looked at the neck profile, but I guess you have to keep some of the mystery there.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    Fascinating stuff.  What amp did you use?  Was it all just straight through an amp?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Ho yus
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    thebreeze said:
    Fascinating stuff.  What amp did you use?  Was it all just straight through an amp?
    Kemper
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    rze99 said:
    thebreeze said:
    Kemper
    I’ve not used one and don’t know much about profiling amps but wouldn’t that influence the tone - so that you’re hearing the dynamics and sound of a certain amp under certain conditions?  I really like the drive tone which was one of the reasons I was asking.  Would that be a different amp profile then to what is being used for the clean?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    Really good video! Nice playing, and very nicely presented.
    Tim
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9724
    Stuart, great video Sir !

For me, that's the tele sound that I have in my 'head'.

And that's how they should look too !!
  • Your playing and presentation are second to none.

A really really fine job of showcasing this wonderful guitar.

11/10. 

Thanks a lot.
  • HI Everyone, sorry for late reply and thanks for the kind words! Yes, all Kemper for those tones - it's the M Britt 1965 AC30 for the clean tones then his 72 Marshall for the drive tones. I love the Kemper and use it all the time for film/tv sessions but it's not a 'fun' device like amps and pedals are - it's very quick to get a good sound and always sounds great. You can tweak it as much as you need to but I rarely do, simply find a sound and hit record. Does it replace an amp? For practicality most definitely but you remove the fun factor of physically stacking pedals etc. I will get another amp in here at some point but at the moment if I'm just playing I put it through a Morgan cab and it's the amp in the room sound but at very low volumes if necessary. 

@Wazmeister - yes, this is "the" sound alright, instant Vince Gill etc. It has gone back now sadly!
    @andy_k - neck profile was just a standard C, they were all hand carved back then so no two will be identical but it was far from being a thick '50s Nocaster

I may do a video comparing this with my '52 spec CS Tele at some point 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom