The Very First PRS in the UK.......(Chandler)

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
For those like me who had a were regulars at Chandler of Kew back in the 1990's this 1986 PRS might be familiar to you.This was the first PRS into the UK and after a brief period with Terry Britten it remained as the shop 'demo'. Crazy price, I think I offered Paula £3500 for it when they were closing down. Now for sale with TFOA who like to offer nice guitars at speculative prices.
The guitar was featured in Tony Bacon's The Ultimate Guitar and Paul Trynka's The Electric Guitar books. 

https://reverb.com/item/34555241-prs-custom-24-vintage-yellow-1986-terry-britten

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--903LWwoQ--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1594216474/w0xskd8tk29e7dxwowfw.jpg

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Holy £11.5k Batman!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    The BRZ board on that don't look like others that ive seen, its very pale. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Then it must be destroyed! We cant have a slightly pale baz board now can we! 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Huh? How dramatic.

It's just an observation pal, not a criticism. 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2020
    A very speculative price indeed. Nice to see Terry's name mentioned there. That takes me back a long long time ago, those were the days, great writer and producer.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Huh? How dramatic.

Chill your beans princess. :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547

I had a 1990 PRS Ltd Edition with a Brazilian board that was a similar colour.
    edited July 2020
    crunchman said:

It's just that i thought the trend was dark boards back then.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    My PRS Signature from the late 80's has that same Kind of board. Quite red with darker streaks. Wish I had kept that one.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4264
    crunchman said:

It's just that i thought the trend was dark boards back then.
    It varies - my '87 is nice and dark, almost black in places. I've seen a lot of 80s PRS' with the lighter boards though.

Back to OP - this is an insane price for an '86. While it's a great top, and an interesting quirk of history, I wouldn't have paid extra for it! As far as a collectors instrument goes, this one should max out at £4-5k.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11774
    tFB Trader
    i remember serving Terry when i spent a summer at Chandlers, and i remember Doug's own goldtop PRS  from '89 being rather special

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    I played the guitar many times as me and Doug thrashed out deals on his little calculator. 
    I notice its cheaper on their website today.
    @guitargeek62 ; is correct its a £4k guitar. I was tempted when they were closing purely out of nostalgia. 

https://www.tfoa.eu/en/prs-custom-24-vintage-yellow-1986-terry-britten.html

PRS Custom 24 Vintage Yellow 1986 Terry Britten

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    I laughed when I read the price. Jog on!
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2185
    I used to drool over that guitar! 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Is this the one that Guitarist mag reviewed in 86’ and said it was overrated? 
    jeztone2 said:
    Is this the one that Guitarist mag reviewed in 86’ and said it was overrated? 
    No, from memory that one had a quilt top and birds. I seem to remember its being photographed in front of an Ford Cab at the time lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31259
    I remember this too. There was also a Gold Top from the same year Doug had IIRC.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    Huh? How dramatic.

Chill your beans princess. :D

(I thought it was funny!)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    I think its often 'rose tinted glasses' with some of these '80s PRS models and the obsession over Brazilian Rosewood and being 'non' factory.

They are certainly well made guitars with nice woods, but they aren't worth this kind of money to me, even with the 'special story' and hand-written provenance that means very little to anyone, but guitar geeks like us.

Nice guitars and worth £3-4k tops in my world and even then I would want specific things for that valuation.

For me the consistency of PRS makes it hard to warrant these hyped up prices on '80s models. It isn't like PRS has ever had a Norlin or CBS takeover to destroy their QC and reputation.

If anything, they are better now then they were back then.

We could argue about older pickups, Brazilian Rosewood and Mann Made bridges. But essentially they are still very well made guitars today.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I agree, the new ones are great guitars BUT there's something quite different going on with these early ones. They have quite a 'hand-crafted' feel to them and don't feel clinical or dare I say it sterile.They have a real vintage vibe going on. Then again those T&B pickups aren't to everyone's taste. The price here is purely speculative, you can actually buy the '86 guitars for £4-5k and there's always plenty for sale. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom