Beyond tone

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3693
    I bought a Tele because they are way way better than Strats.
    I bought a Gold Top because they are way way better than Strats, but not quite as good as Teles.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27147
    I bought an N4 because of the practicality of the neck joint (it was only afterwards that I became a Nuno fan).

I bought all my Jaden Rose guitars because they fit my hands like no other guitar ever has.

In fact...tone is the last thing I consider when buying a guitar. For me, it's all about how it feels and whether I can make it do what I want...tone is what I use pedals and an amp for.
    <space for hire>
  • Z28Z28 Frets: 40
    I'd say playability is just as important as tone. 
    Otherwise, looks can be important to some, if it looks nice it surely makes you want to pick it up and play it. 
    With vintage guitars I'd say the history and all the small details about them can surely also play a big role in making you want to have one. Plus, if some vintage guitars could talk... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34011
    Playability first, then tone, then looks, for me.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7226
    robgilmo said:
    I bought a Gold Top because they are way way better than Strats, but not quite as good as Teles.
    I have a gold top. I have a strat.

Guess what I'm on the look out for.?.?.?.?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    octatonic said:
    Tone is a myth.
    I've met him.
    So now I'd kinda like to see a "Wolf Tone" line of guitars.  Probably be a little more popular on the other side of the Irish Sea, but the marketing (and educational) possibilities alone make it seem worthwhile.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3693
    tony99 said:
    robgilmo said:

A Tele! You know it makes sense!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    Looks first, obviously.  :)

A close runner up is playability.

Tone is whatever you play through - amps/pedals . 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    Always on looks for me.

As long as the guitar is in the right area then feel and tone are easy to change with simple setup or pickups.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    If I bought a Suhr or Charvel Guthrie Govan model it won't be because I want to look like him .
    He might be an incredible guitarist but he reminds me of Catweazle.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5237
    I wanted an SG eay back when because of Iommi but found I preferred Les Pauls. Bought a BC Rich Warlock because i was a death metal kid. Bought an Ibanez Destroyer 2 because of Maiden. The V because of god (in his schenker phase). 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    tony99 said:
    robgilmo said:

A Rickenbacker!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    I got my Gibson Les Paul Junior In 2007 (the Billie Joe Armstrong signature) as I’m a big Green Day fan love white guitars. Knew nothing about P90 pickups or wrap around bridges. Slowly realised its a kinda one trick pony, straight up rock n roll!
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3133
    I bought my Hello Kitty strat and Spongebob guitars to give my band mates a good chuckle and to entertain my young daughters. 

The look on the bassists face when I pulled the Hello Kitty out of a gig bag for the first time was worth the money alone.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2650
    Tone is not a major consideration for me when buying guitars.  Apart from when I was starting out with cheap budget guitars, I've bought good quality mainstream guitars, either in the Fender or Gibson camp (not necessary F or G) and I'm always confident they'll sound just fine.  There's the option of pickup changes or modding the electrics for fine tuning, but I've hardly ever done that.

Playability and good looks matter far more, not because good tone isn't important but because on a good quality mainstream guitar you can pretty much take it for granted.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    I bought my Hello Kitty strat and Spongebob guitars to give my band mates a good chuckle and to entertain my young daughters. 

The look on the bassists face when I pulled the Hello Kitty out of a gig bag for the first time was worth the money alone.
    My kinda guy!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    Looks have often put me off guitars that might have sounded and played fantastic, but once a guitar has passed the ‘good looks’ test, my criteria for buying are that (1) it sounds so good that I don’t want to put it down, and (2) any playability issues are easily fixable. Works for me,