NGD! Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique

What's Hot
timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2392
My brother-in-law had my PRS Singlecut Satin off me, which freed up space and funds, so yesterday this arrived!

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique in vintage sunburst. Obligatory pics first:

I spent a long time last night comparing it to my 2017 Classic once I'd given them both new strings - bloody hell non-locking tuners are a pain when you can't find your string winder anywhere - and the differences/similarities have been really interesting.

They both weigh about the same, but the Antique has a Nashville bridge as opposed to an ABR-1; I was worried I might have to raise the tailpiece to compensate for the fatter bridge but I've got it in a comfortable place.

Acoustically the Antique is much richer in the midrange and a little more resonant, which has really surprised me as I previously thought my green Classic was pretty rich and vibrant, but it sounds much brighter/toppier and a little thinner in comparison now. While both have the slim taper neck profile, the Antique does feel a little rounder on the back than my green Classic - subtle but I don't think I'm imagining it.

Part of the reason I went for this was the '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus, as I figured A2 pickups would make it stand out from the Bare Knuckle Emeralds and Mules I've got in the green Classic and my PRS Bernie. (I may have been listening to Slash when browsing eBay). I'm loving them for lead tones - sweet, buttery and a little fragile, for want of a better word - but I'm finding them wanting a little for clarity on chords across all strings, so I'll muck about with pickup heights later. Failing that, I'll consider alternatives, as it might be nice to have something splittable down the line.

Condition-wise, the Antique's in great nick, despite the name! No buckle rash, some light checking on the binding, and some light surface scratches between the strings and the knobs and around the bridge volume knob - the previous owner obviously didn't touch the neck pickup much! My only slight concern is the bridge looks like it's beginning to sag, but I've had no issue setting action or intonation, so I don't think that's going to be a pressing issue any time soon.

Overall, very happy indeed!

Tim
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Looks awesome, happy new guitar day!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    very nice, what's the main difference between an antique and a standard or traditional then?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2392
    edited July 2020
    tony99 said:
    very nice, what's the main difference between an antique and a standard or traditional then?
    As I understand it, back in 2007, there wasn't a Traditional, just Standards or Classics (I'm ignoring Studios, Customs etc - stick to "standard" LPs, as it were). Classics got a plain top, slim neck, the crazy hot 496T/500T pickups and the snot green inlays, Standards got tamer pickups and flamey tops, and I assume bigger necks, or at least the option?

The Classic Antique was a limited run for that year where they took some Classics, swapped the hot pickups for 57 Classics, gave them flamey tops, normal inlays, headstock binding and the SG headstock inlay.

Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    timmypix said:
    tony99 said:
    As I understand it, back in 2007, there wasn't a Traditional, just Standards or Classics (I'm ignoring Studios, Customs etc - stick to "standard" LPs, as it were). Classics got a plain top, slim neck, the crazy hot 496T/500T pickups and the snot green inlays, Standards got tamer pickups and flamey tops, and I assume bigger necks, or at least the option?

The Classic Antique was a limited run for that year where they took some Classics, swapped the hot pickups for 57 Classics, gave them flamey tops, normal inlays, headstock binding and the SG headstock inlay.

thanks for the info, didn't really get on with the 57 classics I had, I mean they sounded great but didn't suit me

my LP has burstbuckers in, but I do miss the 490s that I had in my special, as you say crazy hot

think you've picked a stunner there, and the headstock makes it quite unique too, good score
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Sweet Jesus, if that were a plain top Id have creamed myself.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    There's a joke in there somewhere about a sticky neck but I'll let us all acknowledge it's there and move on like the grown ups we are.
    Tim
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    The new on is lovely but the green one is top shelf!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lovely guitar congratulations mate 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    robgilmo said:

What a strange sex life you have .Still at least no ladies involved ..I hope .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah I remember seeing these come up in the Guitarist issues way back then - takes me back. Looks great; enjoy.

Btw can you please kindly share the dirt on the shy PRS in the rack? First glance thought it was a Zach Myers', but the bound neck rules that out.
    Ah I remember seeing these come up in the Guitarist issues way back then - takes me back. Looks great; enjoy.

Btw can you please kindly share the dirt on the shy PRS in the rack? First glance thought it was a Zach Myers', but the bound neck rules that out.
    It is lovely! Some more internet trawling suggests the Antiques are chambered, which explains why it's so resonant acoustically.

As for the PRS, it's a Bernie Marsden - one of the "final edition" special run they did in 2016 before deciding to bring it back again in 2018, from what I can find out; they did 250 in 6 colours, and I have to say I've only ever seen one other in Trampas Green before I bought this one, and none since.

I've put BKP Mules and a Mannmade bridge on it to class it up a bit:

Tim
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom