Boss CE-2 Chorus.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    CE-2W all the way. 3 options at the flick of a switch and excellent sounding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    robgilmo said:
    althy said:
    a ce2 mij just pop on facebook for 95 quid 
    Got a link?

pm'd
  • I'm not entirely sure the CE-2W sounds quite like the CE-2, there are definite differences. I ended up sending my Waza back a few years ago after comparing the two. YMMV of course, and I shouldn't imagine it'd be anywhere near noticeable in a mix, but it's definitely different.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited July 2020
    I have to say the CE-2 is my least favourite Boss chorus. It’s too ‘syrupy’ and sickly-sweet sounding - even though it’s very similar I much prefer the CE-3. I like the CE-5 and CH-1 too.

I did a foolish thing not long ago - I had a nice CE-3, but then I picked up an early 'long dash' CE-2 quite cheaply, so that being the 'classic', I sold the CE-3... but then I found I really didn't like the CE-2. Luckily they're worth quite a lot :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Definitely needs to be mixed in, IMO.

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I have an ‘81 CE-2 and a CE-2w. My favourite choruses by far and I’ve tried them all.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    The CE-3 is interesting: sounds very “metallic” but not in a bad way for that fusion-y thing.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited July 2020
    spirit7 said:
    The CE-3 is interesting: sounds very “metallic” but not in a bad way for that fusion-y thing.
    Mine was the just same as the ce-2 just brighter, so IMO you are just hearing what happening more clearly, but CE-2 players prefer it for that reason.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24355
    I bought my CE-2 in 1989.

Still going strong. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2020
    CE-2 is great if you're doing a covers band thing.  It absolutely nails four essential chorus sounds and is super quick to dial in.  Definitely my favourite live chorus.  I'd replaced it (before lockdown) with an MXR 117 but that's mostly a flanger, so not as chorus-y.  It can only do two decent chorus sounds. 

My favourite chorus is the DC-2.  (Not tried the Waza).  But the DC-2 is subtle.  It's the chorus that doesn't sound like a chorus.  Except when you turn it off and that's when you notice something has gone.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9642
    OK... what are the four essential chorus sounds the CE-2 nails? I can think of two, maybe three.
    I'm not entirely sure the CE-2W sounds quite like the CE-2, there are definite differences. I ended up sending my Waza back a few years ago after comparing the two. YMMV of course, and I shouldn't imagine it'd be anywhere near noticeable in a mix, but it's definitely different.

I'm pretty sure that CE-2s vary, so it's hard to pin down one specific CE-2 sound. It's a bit like original PAFs I would imagine, where, to one person's ears, one sounds great, while another sounds shit, even though they are both original 1959 PAFs
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    I love the CE-2. I’ve got two!
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    CE2 is the only pedal I regret selling.... I did get quite a bit for it though.
  • I'm not entirely sure the CE-2W sounds quite like the CE-2, there are definite differences. I ended up sending my Waza back a few years ago after comparing the two. YMMV of course, and I shouldn't imagine it'd be anywhere near noticeable in a mix, but it's definitely different.

I'm pretty sure that CE-2s vary, so it's hard to pin down one specific CE-2 sound. It's a bit like original PAFs I would imagine, where, to one person's ears, one sounds great, while another sounds shit, even though they are both original 1959 PAFs
    I can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

I'm not entirely sure the CE-2W sounds quite like the CE-2, there are definite differences. I ended up sending my Waza back a few years ago after comparing the two. YMMV of course, and I shouldn't imagine it'd be anywhere near noticeable in a mix, but it's definitely different.

I can't say I've ever noticed a difference.

I've never had an original, so I can't really say to be honest, but I remember something in one of those That Pedal Show videos about it, and the Aussie guy seems to have played a few. As for the CE 2-W, you get the bonus of the CE-1 sound too, which again isn't probably perfect, but it's very close I think. As you say, in a mix it'd be very hard to identify one over the other. Are the CE-2s still going for reasonable rates?