Do I need a refret?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
I've got a 1992 flying v that i bought in 2003. Its been heavily gigged and toured over the years, as well as loads of rehearsals. Even after set ups it doesnt play fantastically any more. Is 28 years enough time to warrant a re fret?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Z28Z28 Frets: 40
    Hard to tell without seeing it first. I'd say there's probably a solid chance you can get away with leveling the frets if they have not been leveled before. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    A rough rule of thumb is that if there is half the original height left, you can dress the frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I’ve just had the frets levelled on an ‘88 telecaster. There were some really deep divots in some of the frets and I thought it wouldn’t be possible but it’s fine now, plenty of life in it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    A lot depends on how hard you play. Some players seem to go through frets in no time. I’ve played for over 40 years and never had even a fret dress carried out on any of my guitars (including a D28 I’ve owned for 27 years).
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    A lot depends on how hard you play. Some players seem to go through frets in no time. I’ve played for over 40 years and never had even a fret dress carried out on any of my guitars (including a D28 I’ve owned for 27 years).
    true - plus dirty strings is one of the biggest reasons that frets wear out so quickly for some players - I've also known players 'squeeze' the strings so tight, so that can accelerate fret wear - But I agree with you that a light touch and frets just appear to last so long
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Im definitely not a light touch. And usually 50+ gauge strings
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2265
    Gis some pics :-)