Basswood....on a strat?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Schnozz said:
    For me, the one to avoid is Sen Ash.

I think Basswood and Nato are fantastic alternatives and I quite like the tightness of Poplar - Works well for rhythm.

I'm exploring Pine at the moment.
    I've got a pine strat. Very light (mine is custom shop light... Lighter than some even) and very lively. Great for cleans and crunch, but not super focused so I'm not sure it would work well for rock and metal. 

Or... Could just be my particular body. I think it's a 1 piece, I can't remember... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Pretty sure all my Musicman Axis were basswood and they sounded fine
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19537
    Philly_Q said:
    I think the Ibanez JS1000 is basswood and they sound pretty good.

Balanced and neutral is a good description.
    I remember when the JS1 came out they made a big deal about it being American basswood. 

As opposed to, er.... non-American basswood, presumably.  Lord knows how many types of basswood there are.
    American Basswood is Tilia americana. In the UK we have Limewood, Tilia europaea
    Varieties of the genus Tilia can be described as Basswoods, so there are around 30 types.
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/science/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/basswood
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilia
    Describing something guitar related as 'Basswood' can be a bit like calling it 'Mahogany' or 'Rosewood'...
  • My Novo is basswood albeit with a maple cap.
    its quite soft, seems to ding and mark quite easily. It smells amazing though, even still after 3 years. Sounds fecking fantastic as well
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    My lockdown strat build has a basswood body. Quite weighty, sounds good..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.