Drop Tuning a Strat

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
in Guitar tFB Trader
Since getting my Tele the Strat is a bit unloved as between that and the DGT I'm covered for anything I could want clean to mid gain.

To that end I've just bought the Billy Corgan pickguard on the classifieds so I can use the Strat for some full on heavy tones. 
To give it a bit more versatility I'm thinking I could drop it down to D or drop C#, bur when I think about I don't recall drop tuned Strats being a thing.

I've got the trem locked down with 5 springs so that won't be an issue. 

Anything I should consider?

I've got 10s on it at the moment, but I have a set of 11s if that might be better for the lower tuning.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    Mines in drop C with 10-54 EB Skinny Top Beefy Bottom. Could maybe do with a bit more tension though but I don't really like 11s. 
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Robin Trower tunes his to D I'm sure plenty of other people do too. I keep meaning to try it but not got round to it yet.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    A modded strat tuned down to D....sounds like you’re getting ready for some Motley Crue riffs. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4269
    I had my (Squier Contemporary) Strat tuned to drop C with 10s. My guitars now are the same scale length, drop C with 10-52 and it works nicely. You won't need to do anything to the nut: intonation might need a small tweak but that's it 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27880
    You might want at least the lower strings from the 11's, in which case you'll want to check nut slots and intonation, but otherwise you should be good to go.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 67
    I had mine in open c the other day. Was fine 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27147
    I just dropped my Strat to drop-C# for a BHD recording. Just three springs (I have the trem wound right back), although I couldn't be arsed restringing from the 9-46 I usually keep on there.

Sounds just fine.
    <space for hire>
  • It’ll be fine with 10’s, just tweak the truss rod a little.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3013
    tFB Trader
    Mine's in D standard with Optiweb 11s on. They're a bit stiffer than most strings, could prob do C# standard fine.
    It sounds great. Never going back to E std with it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    Tried dropping it to D standard today with the 10s on

It doesn't choke too much and the intonation and action are still ok.

I'm not sure I like how floppy the strings are though. Feels like it has 8s in which I'm not fond of.

It certainly gets very flappy if I go to drop C so I might dig around for a set of 10 to 52 or 11s in my parts box when I restring it next.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14834
    I keep an MIM Fender Stratocaster in Eb for those Hendrix, Vaughan and Edge moments.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.