Guitars and FX you love the sound of but can't get on with

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4712
Now I love the sound of a telecaster and I love the sound of a fuzz, BUT
Hand me a tele or a fuzz and I should like shit.
And watching Anderson's Video I can see the same when watching the captain and Danish Pete.
You can tell the Captain is a strat guy a tele in his hands just does not work but in Pete's hands it does.
Watching That Pedal show and a fuzz sounds great with the ex Guitarist editor sounds great but the other guy doesn't.
What are your Guitars and effects you live just not in your hands.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    edited July 2020
    I've said this many times before, but Les Pauls.
    I love how they look, I love how they sound, but they just don't 'fit'. Had one, sold it, most likely wouldn't buy one again. I didn't like the neck angle, I didn't like how it hung on the strap, I didn't like how high the bridge was off the body.

I still GAS when I see a nice one though. This forum doesn't help with its NGD posts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Same as you - Telecasters. They're great, they just aren't me. I end up with this really abrasive tone that I just don't like. I assume it's something to do with the way I play.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4269
    Fuzz for me. Love how it sounds, can't do anything useful with it 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27880
    Fuzz and Les Pauls for me too, either alone or together. 

Give me a Rat and a Tele and I can do anything this side of metal. 

What's really odd is my CS-336 sounds a hell of a lot like a Les Paul and it works like it's part of me, but I guess it's ergonomically quite different and I've had it almost 15 years so I guess not surprising.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    Love Jazzmasters and firebirds, can't seem to get on with them though, they are physically too big and awkward for me.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14865
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    I love how they look, I love how they sound, but they just don't 'fit'. Had one, sold it, most likely wouldn't buy one again. I didn't like the neck angle, I didn't like how it hung on the strap, I didn't like how high the bridge was off the body.

I still GAS when I see a nice one though. This forum doesn't help with its NGD posts.
    tend to agree with you about LP's - If I keep my playing more simplistic then I can handle one - But the second I play something a tad more complex then an LP is not as slick for me to play as other LP derivatives like a PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    DiscoStu said:

This is me all the way.  Although I prefer the look of a Strat I still like the LP and so many of my favourite guitarists play one or they have featured on my favourite tracks - but they just don't suit me.  Once when I was visiting London I went out with the express intention of buying one - I was so disappointed.  I was struggling even to get one to play in tune.

I now have a PRS SE Chris Robertson single cut and it has taken me an age to get comfortable.  Even now it rarely gets played.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4264
    Telecasters - I love the look & sound... when others play them. I’ve yet to find one that I really get on well with though.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    edited July 2020
    Les Pauls 
    Delay Pedals 
    Chorus and most modulation 
    compressors

They all sound great until I get involved 

• TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Strats. I always make them sound like plastic toys
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 870
    +1 on the Les Paul.
    Owned a few over the last 30 years. Love the sound, but they just don’t sit right or feel right when playing them.
    Strangely though I’m loving my recent purchase - a PRS SE Zach Myers, which has very similar specs. Maybe it’s the weight that is a big part of the issue.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Humbuckers.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2254
    Strats for me. They always sound a bit lightweight and make me play in a predictable sort of way.  
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    Fender offsets.

I know they are trendy but those heavy plinky plonk machines are not for me. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73179
    Strats with standard pickups. Thin and plinky when I play them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Chorus and most modulation.

iI have an HX Stomp and a really nice Neunaber chorus. Never use the chorus on the stomp, or plug the Neunaber in.

Same with univibe. Tried most of the affordable ones on the market. No good.

I do like playing with tremolo and with a phaser, though.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    Ditto on the Les Paul, too. Although I have a PRS SE singlecut which is fine. Weight and neck angle works better for me than an LP.

Love how a good LP looks and sounds in the right hands, but I don’t gel with them.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    Yet another for the Les Paul.

As a kid the posters on my wall were Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Slash and Ace Frehley.

Imagine how disappointed I was when I got to play a few proper Gibsons and couldn't get on with them at all.

Also univibes and modulation in general. Cool for other people. Not so much for me.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10402
    ICBM said:
    I find I just can't be heard in the band mix when I use positions 2 & 4, and when I use the bridge to cut through my band tell me that I'm too brittle for them. 

I think I might change pickups. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I find I just can't be heard in the band mix when I use positions 2 & 4, and when I use the bridge to cut through my band tell me that I'm too brittle for them. 

I think I might change pickups. 

Get the tone wired to the bridge and knock it back a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom