If You Could Get Back What You Paid...

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Inspired by the "justifying multiple guitars" thread, I think part of the reason I have the number I have now is because I'd rather keep it than have the money I could get for selling it. But not necessarily if I could get back what I paid. (The main reason I've always wanted to get in to buying second hand is to minimise the difference between those two values actually).

So how many guitars do you have now and how many would you have if you could swap any for the amount you paid (adjusted for inflation if you like)?

I think if that was the case I might be down to two or maybe even one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    It's hard to speculate, so if someone wants to make me a genuine offer to buy my guitars off me for the price I paid for them then I'll be able to answer for sure.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    edited July 2020
    All my expensive stuff, I bought in great condition, and used.  So I can get back what I paid. 

All my cheapies, unlikely.  

Do some of the cheapes give me as much pleasure as the expensive stuff?  Absolutely. 

I bought one of these as my daughters first electric. https://www.jhs.co.uk/vintage-v6-reissued-vibrola-tailpiece-gun-hill-blue?___SID=U

Was so impressed with it, I bought another for myself, have a riot playing it most nights.  Loads of fun.  Best Vibrola I’ve had my hands on, pickups are tremendous, and the neck is pure joy. Wider than a Gibson, suits my chubby digits perfectly. 

Interestingly, both have different necks, one feels like a 12” radius with a chunky neck (not huge, just nice), the other feels more like a 15” radius, and slimmer Gibson 60’s neck.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    Last week I was offered £9000 for a bass I paid £220 for.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27881
    None. I keep guitars because I like them, not because they "owe" me anything. And in the case of my SG I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    edited July 2020
    I wouldn’t swap any of my guitars for what I paid for them. I bought them all second hand and I reckon they’re all worth more than what I paid for them, and I don’t want to sell any of them right now anyway.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    I've only ever bought used. Never lost any money on a single one, and made a fair amount on some. Best was £700 on a Collings I bought from a guy on eBay, who was selling it to invest in Bitcoin :). I would never buy to flip, but will sell at market value when I want to change. 

My hobby is herefore effectively free, it's just money in held in the guitsr rack, instead of the bank. I can therefore have as many guitars as I want. I think I've got the best guitars right now though, so don't need to ad or sell. Instead, I'm going through an amp and pedal journey. 

I couldn't stomach the hit on buying new, I just don't see the point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    I certainly keep a couple of cheapies because they play & sound great but are worth nothing. My 339 is one I could let go as it always feels to be too nice a guitar to sit largely unused, but not for the for the "trade-in" price I was offered for it.
  • I'd sell my home finished gspbasses prs style guitar. Ash body, figured maple neck, purple heart board I think that's super smooth, big frets, nifty wiring scheme with a blend instead of a switch... 

Locking grovers, oil city pickups, pio cap and cts pots, wudtone bridge, but I just don't gel with the guitar. If I could get what I paid I'd be thrilled - in reality, if someone offered me £450 I'd take it - the pickups and bridge would make over half of that. 

Even £400 would do it frankly... But it would benefit from the pickups being re-fit as the shop did a bit of a bodge. It works and looks fine, though. Great sounding, coil taps... The neck is probably the most comfy neck I've ever played though. 

Even now I try to convince myself I love it, but I just don't bond with it. I wish it had a shorter OR longer scale length.

Funny how picky we are! 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 870
    As above, buying used means that all my gear is worth at least what I paid.
    I’ve been gigging for most of my playing life and although never earning serious money (I’ve kept a record over a few years and generally break even when you include things like fuel, rehearsal space, food, drinks, strings etc), the gig money always feels like getting a refund on a night out with your mates, so I keep it separate. It’s paid for a number of holidays, bought many guitars that have passed through my hands and been enjoyed for a while. Only a few stick around though.  I’ve never bought anything to flip, but have bought a couple of things unseen that as soon as I got them in my hands I knew weren’t for me, so they went on their way. 
    The way I look at it is my hobby costs me less than golf and if I decide to sell something, it’s cost me nothing to own it for a while. Over the years I’ve ended up with a few bloody great guitars that make me happy when I pick them up. They generally all end up being gigged, even if it’s just occasionally.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    edited July 2020
    The only guitar I’d consider selling would be my Gibson Les Paul Junior, as I rarely play it plus it’s completely stock. The two cheapest guitars I’ve got are the ones I’d probably never sell - an affinity Strat worth £100 or so back in 98 which I’ve since upgraded, new tuners, nut, trem block, pots, Oil City pickups and a JB humbucker. The guitar is 23 years old and my first so of course I’m keeping it. There isn’t a cost on the sentimental value of it.

The other is an Ltd again around £150 which is in the process of being upgraded. A mate let me have it as it was lying around gathering dust.

The more expensive guitars I’ve got have been modified too and I plan to keep them indefinitely. Nearly all have been gigged well in the last 10-15 years though now I’m retiring mostly to home playing they don’t get the wear and tear of being bashed up at shows.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2650
    I'd sell a decent chunk of my collection (7 guitars, 3 basses, 3 virtually unused amps) if anyone offered me within 5-10% of market value.  Be happy 2 sell all 3 amps, 2 basses and maybe 3 or 4 guitars.

It's the hassle of selling that always puts me off, not an unwillingness to sell.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2254
    I've never got back what I paid for any of my gear - and definitely haven't made any profits
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    From my point of view there's another factor to take into account: I've always, until just the last few years, expected all my guitars and other gear to pay for itself through gigging. They've been the tools of the trade. So my view is that everything is already paid for and any selling price is profit. That way I don't get hung up on getting market value or whatever or worrying about making a loss.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Apart from my very first guitar I’d happily sell any. 
    The first one my late dad bought me so it’s sentimental , the rest are just things that make noises and I have no real attachment to them. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited July 2020
    I tend to buy most of my expensive guitars 2nd hand. Quite a few of those I could sell for a profit but tbh I tend to sell gear because I don't gel with it rather than making a profit although I do have an eye on resale value when I buy guitars/amps. Purely due to having been through some gear and you can't always tell if you are going to get on with it and nice to not lose alot moving on and trying something else.

I have sold stuff in the past due to needing the money and have got back what I paid or a slightly bit more.

Atm I have a Gibson 339 which I don't play very often and I got used. I've been offered exactly what I paid for it a couple of years ago as a trade in. So consider that good since I haven't lost anything and had a chance to try something out. Although I do have a couple of tweaks to try on that guitar before deciding what to do with it.

I have some gear that I know I could sell on for a good profit but I don't buy it for that reason nor would want to sell. At some point in the future a big chunk of my gear will be sold and just stick to a few bits. It is nice to know you can at least get your money back or a good portion of it.

Guitars/amps IMO aren't a monetary investment. They are an emotional investment and that counts for more than monetary value IMO.

I've got guitars I've kept for a few hundred pounds and sold some for several thousands pound. Neither come down to getting back what I paid but more if I like it/gel with it.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    edited July 2020
    Out of eight electrics only two were bought without playing 'em first. And those two I was fortunate in that they were perfect for me. So I haven't had the problem of buying something and then finding out it's not my cup of tea.  All of the guitars are different enough in feel and sounds that I don't believe any of them to be superfluous. Although I only use two at a gig (depending on my mood I pick from the pool).

So although I could manage having one guitar, they are different enough to justify having them, it's not the resale factor as to why I keep them.

Having said that, I do have a large modeling amp which I'd sell if I could get a decent price for - but I figure my kids could get some value out of it when they're older and experimenting with what sounds they might like to explore..
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23807
    Almost everything I've ever sold I made a loss - sometimes a big loss - so it's not that which stops me selling guitars.  It's mostly just procrastination. 

Also in the last few years on this forum I've read so many horror stories about eBay and courier companies that I've developed a fear of using them (despite having sold dozens of guitars in the past with very few problems).

I'd like to got rid of loads of guitars and I really wouldn't be bothered about the prices, if only the selling process was a bit less of a hassle.

Ironically, many of the guitars I have now are relatively high-end things which I bought used, so I probably would make my money back if I sold them.  Although I also have a few things like PRS S2s which, I know, don't do very well in the secondhand market.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'd sell my home finished gspbasses prs style guitar. Ash body, figured maple neck, purple heart board I think that's super smooth, big frets, nifty wiring scheme with a blend instead of a switch... 

Locking grovers, oil city pickups, pio cap and cts pots, wudtone bridge, but I just don't gel with the guitar. If I could get what I paid I'd be thrilled - in reality, if someone offered me £450 I'd take it - the pickups and bridge would make over half of that. 

Even £400 would do it frankly... But it would benefit from the pickups being re-fit as the shop did a bit of a bodge. It works and looks fine, though. Great sounding, coil taps... The neck is probably the most comfy neck I've ever played though. 

Even now I try to convince myself I love it, but I just don't bond with it. I wish it had a shorter OR longer scale length.

Funny how picky we are! 
    I wouldn't mind seeing that guitar, if you have any pictures.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    It wouldn't be quite right to say I don't care about the price - that will decide if I can afford to buy something or not but their value to me isn't measured that way.   I guess if I had unexpected bills I was struggling to cover I might think about monetary value but so far when that has happened I've had other gear like effects and speakers I could move on.     I only sell guitars when they aren't right for me, if I feel attached to an instrument then it would take a big offer to get me to think of selling.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    Get back what you paid ?
    I'm tempted to regale the story of my first marriage and subsequent divorce !