Best Courier for guitar (Updated)

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Hi, 
I've been sifting through threads looking for courier advice and can anyone send me any of the better links here on that or please recommend one/some decent couriers?

Confusion for me lies with -
Which companies actually insure musical instruments

Which companies insure for damage as well as loss and for the full price (£500 in this case)

Is a hard case always required as part of T&C

Who are the best and safest

Many thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    The best currently in terms of specific musical instrument insurance seems to be Overland Express. They are brokers like Interparcel and others so they still use the same couriers. Which courier is 'best' at present varies considerably. I've had good service from couriers who have been poor for other guys and vice versa.
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1441
    edited July 2020
    Overland Express. Not had any problems using APC and they genuinely do insure it properly, £10 per £1000. 

Unlike the other carriers which is more like ££50 per £1000 and then you find out that guitars are exempt from insurance anyway but they’re still happy to take your money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    Thanks for the great info so far :)
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 825
    Another vote for APC via Overland Express. Sent and received with them no problem.
  • Yep another vote for APC

UPS also are safe as well 

Do not use hermes or parcel force 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3862
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4342
    Ooh I’ve not tried overland express I use Interparcel ,will try them next time, thanks for the tip
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    I've used Parcelforce a lot with no problems in the past but used APC more recently (via Overland Express) for the insurance offered.  Bought another guitar this week, delivered by Parcelforce no problems in 24 hours, considering it wasn't well packed (but in the original hardcase) I was surprised! (I had no say in the courier choice, the seller sent it off then told me who with and tracking number... 
    Myself and the seller of the guitar used UPS via Overland Express.

No issues at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Yep another vote for APC

UPS also are safe as well 

Do not use hermes or parcel force 
    I used Parcelforce for the last ten items I've sent and never had a single issue.  Recently DPD smashed my amp to bits on arrival and TNT the few times I used them were beyond useless.

UPS managed to lose an amp I had returned but thankfully the shop took that up with them and refunded me regardless.  A computer I ordered that was shipped by DHL literally fell off the back of a lorry, it had a departure scan from the shipping depot but no arrival scan.  No one courier is the best as is no one courier is the worst.

The only time I'd say "I would use these guys above anybody else" is if something did go wrong and the company was to fix it quickly.  

But yeah, UPS are generally solid.  Glad to hear the item arrived safe and sound :)
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations on here.

Andy
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3927
    Let's hope UPS are OK as I have something incoming with them :)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8874
    Maybe a bit of a swerve from the true intention of the OP's post, but in a great many cases, when it's been worth that much to me I've placed my trust in myself, and met the buyer or seller halfway.  Sometimes a very long way from home.

Failing that, UPS always seem to pick up and deliver when they say, but I understand people have had horror stories with them, as with all couriers.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all the recommendations and just used Overland Express and UPS.
    No issues
  • i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
    I use ParcelForce but book through Interparcel as they provide the insurance.
    My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch