Epi LP. B String Creating Vibration

What's Hot
Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
The B string on my my Epiphone LP causes a vibration, I think in one of the pickups.  It's not fret buzz, it happens regardless of which fret I use or when I play the string open.

As far as I can tell the vibration is coming from one of the pickups, there's nothing loose around the bridge or saddles.

Is this a common issue with humbuckers?  It's only a quiet vibration but as a home-learner, it bugs me.

Any suggestions of what to look for? I'm thinking about taking the pickups out to investigate but this is uncharted territory for me, so I would rather be armed with helpful advice from those who understand these things. 

Thanks Guys. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    edited July 2020
    Have you got a video showing what it sounds like? 

Is it only audible when the guitars plugged into an amp, or when the guitars unplugged too? 

If its occurring when plugged in, switch between pickups, does the noise happen through neck and bridge individually? 

When did you last change the string?
    How close are the pickups to the strings?

Is it a sitar type sound? If so check your saddles or nut for any burrs. 

Does it go away if you press the pickup down with your finger?

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14834
    All sorts of parts could be resonating in sympathy with the B string.

As skunkwerx says, photographs, video or audio recordings of the problem would greatly aid remote diagnosis. 

Since the resonance occurs regardless of the fret at which the string is played, this suggests a bridge saddle issue. 

Some random thoughts;
    1. Does the Epiphone bridge have a saddle retaining wire? 
    2. Is the B string touching the back edge of the bridge on its way to the tailpiece?
    3. Do you top wrap your strings around the tailpiece?
    4. Do your humbuckers have metal covers?
    5. Is one of your humbuckers adjusted so low that the height adjustment spring is no longer compressed?
    6. What tuning is the guitar in?
    7. If you are tuned BEADF#B, which B string is creating the resonance?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 295
    Thank you Skunkwerx and Funkfingers for taking the time to reply with lots of good suggestions. 

It's definitely a mechanical vibration and occurs when the guitar is not connected to the amp. 

The strings have been on for 6 months, so are due for a change. I will work my way through the suggestions you have both made 

1. Does the Epiphone bridge have a saddle retaining wire? - No retaining wire
    2. Is the B string touching the back edge of the bridge on its way to the tailpiece? - no contact, there's a gap of 1.5 - 2mm
    3. Do you top wrap your strings around the tailpiece? - No, I use the conventional method.
    4. Do your humbuckers have metal covers? Yes - I have a feeling that it could be something rattling against one of the covers
    5. Is one of your humbuckers adjusted so low that the height adjustment spring is no longer compressed? I don't think so, but need to look closer.
    6. What tuning is the guitar in? Standard tuning - too much of a leaner to think about alternative tuning. 
    7. If you are tuned BEADF#B, which B string is creating the resonance?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the helpful responses from both of you.

Chris

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3927
    Try retuning to DADGAD; then you’ll have no B string. Problem solved :)

Sorry that was probably no help whatsoever. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    Try retuning to DADGAD; then you’ll have no B string. Problem solved :)

Sorry that was probably no help whatsoever. 

Made me laugh though   =)
    edited July 2020
    Chris.B said:
    Thank you Skunkwerx and Funkfingers for taking the time to reply with lots of good suggestions. 
    Much of what skunkwerx and I* have typed could have been avoided by the posting of photographs and/or audio. (Sorry to bang on about this but pics eliminate numerous irrelevant possibilities at a stroke.)

OTHER THINGS THAT BUZZ
    Six month old strings could have broken wraps on the wound strings.
    Damaged bridge saddle slots. (More of a neeoing than a buzz.)
    High fret at the dusty end.
    Machinehead hex nut working undone.
    Poorly fitting studs and threaded inserts.
    The pickguard and its bracket.
    The truss rod and/or its channel sleeve.
    Jack socket working loose on its plate.

* skunkwerx And I - soon to be a major motion picture.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chris.B said:
    Much of what skunkwerx and I* have typed could have been avoided by the posting of photographs and/or audio. (Sorry to bang on about this but pics eliminate numerous irrelevant possibilities at a stroke.)

OTHER THINGS THAT BUZZ
    Six month old strings could have broken wraps on the wound strings.
    Damaged bridge saddle slots. (More of a neeoing than a buzz.)
    High fret at the dusty end.
    Machinehead hex nut working undone.
    Poorly fitting studs and threaded inserts.
    The pickguard and its bracket.
    The truss rod and/or its channel sleeve.
    Jack socket working loose on its plate.

* skunkwerx And I - soon to be a major motion picture.
    Ooh can I have Nicolas Cage play me? For the bants... 

I had a random buzz on my Ec-1000 once, turns out it was the truss rod cover. Even when tight, because its held on by just one screw, the bottom end closest the nut was still slightly off the headstock. Tightening it helped a bit but some foam or something under it would alleviate. 

I would say change the strings first, then make sure everything is done up tight. 

I don’t think is sympathetic resonance with another string as you mention its happening on all notes, and open. 

I’m no expert though. But I imagine if you play the b open, mute all other strings and also again but holding the body and headstock in various places could eliminate any resonance liklihood.. 

I suppose it could still be something on the guitar not playing nice with any note on the b.. the frequency of it maybe? Unlikely though I’d have thought. 

Can you pin down anywhere the buzz seems to emanate from? Even if its headstock end, or bridge end would help.

It happening open AND fretted eliminates the nut. 

Must be the bridge or saddle. After you’ve changed strings try lightly pressing the sting behind the saddle to see if any difference is made. It’ll change in pitch mind. Maybe dampening it by muting with a finger too. 

Though deffo upload a little vid if you can to youtube if its still there after the string change. 
    Further investigation showed that the vibration could be stopped with firm pressure on the B string between the bridge and the tailpiece.

A new set of strings has cured the problem.  There's no major wear on the bridge, saddles or tailpiece and I could not see anything wrong with the string, therefore I don't have a definite diagnosis - probably wear on the string I expect. 

I take the point you both made about making a recording of the noise - noted for future reference.

The thing I take away from this thread is to change the strings before troubling decent people on the forum. 

Thanks Guys, it's really good of you both to take the time to help a newbie. 

Chris
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I bet a pound to a pinch of snuff it's the truss rod. Bearing in mind it's probably double acting (depending how old it is), they can sometimes honk when very close to the null position. 
    Difficult to say without knowing which variant is under discussion. 

Epi LP covers anything from a one hundred quid, screw-on neck LP100 to an MIJ Elite. Different specs. Different things that could cause an unwanted resonant noise.
    Hopefully the string was the culprit rather than a temporarily masking the problem through disturbance.  I don't think I'd be keep to do a DIY truss rod replacement. 

For the record it's an Epi LP Custom, approaching 10 years old I believe. 

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    No you don't need to replace the truss rod, just turn it one way or another to alter the tension.
    Chris.B said:
    Further investigation showed that the vibration could be stopped with firm pressure on the B string between the bridge and the tailpiece.

A new set of strings has cured the problem.  There's no major wear on the bridge, saddles or tailpiece and I could not see anything wrong with the string, therefore I don't have a definite diagnosis - probably wear on the string I expect. 

I take the point you both made about making a recording of the noise - noted for future reference.

The thing I take away from this thread is to change the strings before troubling decent people on the forum. 

Thanks Guys, it's really good of you both to take the time to help a newbie. 

Chris
    Nice one man! 

Tbh although a string change is always a good first port of call for any random issues, I’ve never been lucky enough for it to have been so easy for me haha! 

Glad its sorted though. Strings degrade even when just sat there unplayed.. hell, you do sometimes get a dud even from new, though its rare.. 

I’ve also had bits of fluff n shite get trapped inbetween string and bridge/nut thats made things sound off before! 
    Btw my remote diagnosis fee is £74.97 for a Sunday... excluding tax.. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom