Youtube teachers, Who's your favourite and why?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Hello,

I have an idea for a content for my youtube channel and I was really wanting help with how to present/edit videos and understanding about copyright etc.

Firstly if you where learning a tune online who are your best teachers? How is the content presented to you? 

I was watching Luke Bowman Channel and I quite like his approach but would love to know what most people like.

Secondly would you  donate money to channels like this. (see his description) or would you more like pay money to the channel if the tab was a donate what you feel like. You could have it free of course. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    for me as a beginner I started with Andy guitar and Justin but I now often just search for a particular song
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think I’ve forgotten which end of a guitar is which by now but I like anyonecanplayguitar who does approachable bits of music such as someone’s classic riffs or simpler instrumentals and tends to avoid the songs that have dozens of lessons on them anyway. His advice re gear and playing in bands is fairly straightforward as well.

It’s very difficult to know where you would pitch lessons, the closer to beginner you aim them the more audience there is but the more that area is saturated on YouTube. Maybe think about your own passions and how to get that across. And think about what you have to say as much as what you have to play. Anyone learning from a YouTube video ( wether it’s guitar or plumbing) will watch multiple times so waffle is not welcome. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I like guitarlessons365 and of course Justin 
  • Late night lessons is great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Robert Renman.......very clear and easy to follow
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Late night lessons is great
    Yeah I like that too, taught me some details to VH's I had missed 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Ok great cheers guys. Do you prefer tab on screen at the same time or would you prefer a print off PDF or just to be shown?
    Ok great cheers guys. Do you prefer tab on screen at the same time or would you prefer a print off PDF or just to be shown?
    No tab ... that's the worse thing about YT teachers ... teaching people songs with tab and those learning don't know what song they are playing or even what key they are playing in :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Danny1969 said:
    No tab ... that's the worse thing about YT teachers ... teaching people songs with tab and those learning don't know what song they are playing or even what key they are playing in :)

Ok, you prefer someone talking through and explaining more about the theory behind the song and offer tab as a download?
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited July 2020
    For me, tab as a download would be great as I tend to follow the lesson along then if it looks like a song I want to work on I then try and tab it myself from the lesson video. It helps me learn but I can also get it wrong or take quite a while to get it all transferred to tab.

The format that the usual suspects (Justin, Marty, Guitarlessons365 and Andy) follow works well. Play some of the song then go through it section by section, but the level of detail and time spent on each section depends on the song.

Also, theory is good. But I can often get lost or confused but I would definitely like to know that the song is in e minor or uses mixolydian or whatever.
    edited July 2020
    Danny1969 said:
    No tab ... that's the worse thing about YT teachers ... teaching people songs with tab and those learning don't know what song they are playing or even what key they are playing in

Ok, you prefer someone talking through and explaining more about the theory behind the song and offer tab as a download?
    Well basically just saying this song is in the key of E maj for example and the riff is E, F#, G#, A or whatever rather than saying open, 2nd fret 4th fret etc. 
    That way people remember where the notes are and start to remember what notes were in what key while learning a riff or song. 
    The videos I watch never mention tab, only notes and intervals. I think you learn faster in that format ... IMHO 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    marty shwarz and justin are great but really have to give a massive shout out to jason read who teaches all of the tunes that all the other guitar tutors just do not play
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Carl at guitar365.com mostly, some Justin and Marty :+1: 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    the worst ones are those that don't play the whole of whatever they're gonna teach you right at the beginning, that's a cardinal sin for me

they just start yapping away and playing the seperate notes, I first wanna know how it sounds what you're gonna teach me then I'll decide if I wanna learn your version, otherwise it's instant turn off
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited July 2020

His lessons are great for a beginner because he not only breaks down each part but he has a full play through with the chords or notes to be played and their relevant strumming shown in real time alongside the play through.

I like marty and justin etc but I feel for me his full play through in each lesson is waht puts him above the rest.

• enjoenjo Frets: 278
    When I want to learn a song I'll just search and flick through a few to see who's done the best/most complete job. Marty is good. I tend to like Paul Davids for the more conversational/interesting ideas. I'm not great at formal lesson structures so just picking cool stuff up here and there works for me. 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Informative and hilarious. If only all online tutorials were like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited July 2020
    I like Chris Zoupa if I want to learn a difficult solo. He breaks them down into easily digestible sections with tab on screen at various speeds, which make it much easier to follow along and work on problem areas. Other than that I don't watch many lessons, probably explains why my playing has been stagnant for many years
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Prefer when they either have notation and/or tab. Rather than “14th fret 1st string + 12th fret 2nd string” type nonsense. Usually just play from old TG & GT magazines & bought a corse from https://truefire.com/browse which is excellent & has all the information I like (Notation/TAB/ Downloadable PDF).

It seems to be more common with newer videos on YouTube to have to contribute in some way to their Patreon to get access to Notation + TABs)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    tony99 said:
    marty shwarz and justin are great but really have to give a massive shout out to jason read who teaches all of the tunes that all the other guitar tutors just do not play
    +1 for Jason Read, who’s just great as a teacher, tackles all sorts of eclectic stuff with aplomb in an approachable way, and is a lovely fellow to boot.

Also, esp. for his Marc Ribot breakdowns, the maestro Eric Haugen.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer