Copyright on youtube and selling tabs

dean111musicdean111music Frets: 280
Hello

I have recently purchased Richard Smiths finger style arrangement of The Entertainer. I did pay money for this and then though surely this is not allowed as its not his song?

I'm really curious about what is allowed and what is not. After researching its not exactly clear and youtube can take videos down. 

From researching money should be going to the artist. 

A few questions for everyone....

1. If i transcribed improvised solos, made up PDFs can i then sell them?

2. Can you get around selling tabs of original songs by offering the tabs for free or you can pay what you want for them? Like Martin Miller with his 5 lick vids 

3. If the lessons where labeled as "in the style of" or miss word the title "sweet father o'mine" would you then be a able to use the original notes, transcribed and then sell? Harder for people to find on youtube i guess!

It may seem like all i want to do is make money but I just wanted to see where the boundaries are and decide from there my approach. 

Look forward t hearing your responses

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4341
    Guitar teachers write tabs out for pupils when giving lessons I would say it’s a combination of fair use and payment for the time taken for you to write out your interpretation of the song .

if you are doing it via YouTube ,have a link to a Patreon page where people can sign up for a fee and receive a pdf tab
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 280
    Guitar teachers write tabs out for pupils when giving lessons I would say it’s a combination of fair use and payment for the time taken for you to write out your interpretation of the song .

if you are doing it via YouTube ,have a link to a Patreon page where people can sign up for a fee and receive a pdf tab
    Thank you.

seems crazy how many pros are actually selling tab that’s a cover that the artist should be getting money?

mainly Fingerstyle acoustic guitar players
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    Is it an original arrangement? “The Entertainer” is now public domain - may only have applicable copyright if it’s a transcription of someone else’s performance, basically. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I uploaded myself playing some covers onto YouTube. There were Copyright Claims made instantly which said (not the exact wording), it's up to the uploader to remove copyrighted content or receive no money should channel be monetized (1000+ subscribers and 4000 hours of views in previous year or something).