Gretsches with centre blocks

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27880
Has anyone had or tried any of these? I'm looking lustily at the G6620T, which is super cool. I generally prefer non-tension bar Bigsbies, but this is essentially an ES-335 with Gretsch appointments - lower neck angle and TOM on posts straight into the top, which is why it needs the tension bar. So not quite the full big-box Gretsch thing, but as I'm more a fan of semis & thinlines than fully hollow guitars I'm thinking I'd actually love it. 

Anyone tried one, or any of the similar models? Looks like the G6636T (black and white falcons) and G6636TSL (silver falcon) are all pretty much the same guitar with Falcon-bling too.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I’ve recently been on a but of Gretsch lust, I’d just say try first, compared to a 335 it’ll still have quite different geometry and it will freel like you’re playing a peacock - after a bit of time playing an electromatic I’ve conclude they’re not for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27880
    My issue is I can't try as we have no dealers with posh ones here in AbDab. I already had an Electromatic G5122DC for a while and liked it, but found the body depth and tiny frets a little tricky. These specific models have different geometry - thinner body and neck angle very close to an ES-335, so I'm 99% sure I'd love one. But I can't try first.

Otherwise I keep staring at Danocasters on instagram...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    edited July 2020
    If you want a centre block, I’d just get a Panther. 

Awesome guitars. 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gretsch-g6137tcb-panther-center-block-electric-guitar-in-black

tension bar Bigamy’s have no place on a pro line Gretsch.  It’s just wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1341
    edited July 2020
    I had both a Warren Haynes Gibson 335 and a Gretsch Panther at one point.  Vastly preferred the Panther, but eventually decided I'm more into solid body guitars and moved both on.

If you can find one, the Panther is 100% worth looking into.  Kinda boggles the mind a little bit that Gretsch discontinued it.  I'm already up for trying one again.
    edited July 2020
    The Panther looks great. Basically a centre-block Pro-line version of the G5122DC I have before. The only issue is they're even harder to get into the UAE than the current stuff! 
    edited July 2020
    Any other thoughts from anyone?

I'm feeling itchy, and simultaneously looking at Gretsches, Rickenbackers and 50's style Strats...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9636
    I know its an old adage, but get out and play some. I had a long chat with @TheMarlin before I got a Gretsch recently and he gave me loads of super helpful pointers, but I came out of Peach with something totally different to what I expected.

On pure looks though, that Black Falcon is pure sex.
    chris78 said:
    I know its an old adage, but get out and play some. I had a long chat with @TheMarlin before I got a Gretsch recently and he gave me loads of super helpful pointers, but I came out of Peach with something totally different to what I expected.

On pure looks though, that Black Falcon is pure sex.
    I'm usually the first to say that in "what guitar" threads, but I live in Abu Dhabi and can't travel at the moment, so guitar shopping isn't an option. (I think we have one Yamaha shop and a Virgin Megastore selling Squier and low-end Yamaha stuff...) 

I've owned one electromatic which had small frets and 2.25" depth, which sounded great but was neither here nor there being not thin enough to feel like an ES-style, and not deep enough to feel like a classic big box type Gretsch. 

I do think the Panther looks ideal - proper Bigsby and bridge on a wooden base so the neck geometry is more proper "Grestsch", but it only comes in "Silver Falcon" style finish, and you can't buy one any more :( 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I had a hard-tail Silver Falcon with a centre-block. It was a genuinely wonderful guitar.
    Gretsch purists would tell you it wasn't a proper Gretsch - whether or not that's true, it was fabulous.
    Not the easiest to sell so bear that in mind if you buy new - you will take a hammering on resale.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    I had a hard-tail Silver Falcon with a centre-block. It was a genuinely wonderful guitar.
    Gretsch purists would tell you it wasn't a proper Gretsch - whether or not that's true, it was fabulous.
    Not the easiest to sell so bear that in mind if you buy new - you will take a hammering on resale.
    Yeah, I'd have been very happy to buy yours if I wasn't so far away. It looked basically perfect. 

I know what you mean on the "purist" thing - Gretsch folks tend to adore the resonance of a hollowbody, but honestly I'm a huge fan of semi-hollows, having been playing a CS-336 basically forever. Hence the appeal of the various CB Gretsches
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7901
    Without knowing whether you may like the neck, the G6620T looks great and you can mod the bigsby to get a smoother action. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Without knowing whether you may like the neck, the G6620T looks great and you can mod the bigsby to get a smoother action. 
    Yes, you can modify a tension bar Bigsby.   But when it’s on a £3500 guitar, should you have to?

Thats my point. It’s a very expensive guitar, and that model of Bigsby is usually a poor experience.   If they can put a B6 on a 6120, and a B3 on a Jet, why can’t they put a proper Bigsby on the other pro line models?!!

The Panther has a centre block and a proper Bigsby, why not these models?
    TheMarlin said:
    Yes, you can modify a tension bar Bigsby.   But when it’s on a £3500 guitar, should you have to?

Thats my point. It’s a very expensive guitar, and that model of Bigsby is usually a poor experience.   If they can put a B6 on a 6120, and a B3 on a Jet, why can’t they put a proper Bigsby on the other pro line models?!!

The Panther has a centre block and a proper Bigsby, why not these models?
    It's a geometry question. These models are clearly intended to ape the ES-335 much more closely, so the bridge posts are drilled straight into the top, mean the bridge it much lower and the neck set lower (and/or at a different angle from a Panther). I assume that means a B6 won't have enough break angle, so you need a B7 to make everything work properly. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7901
    ^^^ an archtop bridge does change the feel quite a bit so a B7 is stock with a 335 style setup although they really could make a Bigsby model with a slightly higher tension bar. 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1381
    In terms of any potential tuning issues with the B7 and it’s proximity to the bridge a set of domed thumbwheels from Crazyparts should help.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Gretsch Broadkaster - very much created in the 335 image.  Great build quality, easy player, looks great and isn't as big as a Falcon.  I've upgraded the spring to a softer one, and replaced the ABR bridge with a Tru Arc which has helped tuning no end (and thickened the tone) although just changing the thumbwheels to domed ones as @Seziertisch suggests is an easier and cheaper option; I would have done this if I hadn't already bought the Tru Arc.
    https://imgur.com/i9gH5PH
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chris45 said:
    Gretsch Broadkaster - very much created in the 335 image.  Great build quality, easy player, looks great and isn't as big as a Falcon.  I've upgraded the spring to a softer one, and replaced the ABR bridge with a Tru Arc which has helped tuning no end (and thickened the tone) although just changing the thumbwheels to domed ones as @Seziertisch suggests is an easier and cheaper option; I would have done this if I hadn't already bought the Tru Arc.
    https://imgur.com/i9gH5PH
    That looks to be identical to the 6620/6636 aside from Full'tron rather than Filtertron pickups, which I assume are a bit more PAF-ish.   Tbh I'm pretty sure I'd like one of these at one point, but I think it's too much for a new one to buy and have shipped thousands of miles without ever having played one.

So now I'm looking at 72-style Thinline Teles. Go figure...!