Strat-tele hybrid

What's Hot
Has anyone tried the fender parallel universe strat-tele hybrid.
If so, whats your thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14834
    edited July 2020
    My nearest Fender dealership has had one on display since they came out. I have successfully resisted all of the proprietor’s efforts to get me to even touch the thing. 

For me, if the bridge position pickup doesn’t have the characteristic steely Telecaster overtones, there is no point. As it stands, the hybrid is just an amputated Stratocaster.

I am fortunate to already have some nice American Fender S and T guitars. Vive la difference. Vive la overlap.

My preferred hybrid is a Telecaster with a Strat-voiced neck position pickup and some clever selector switch wiring.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73180
    Abomination.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    I had a custom shop version that I wish I never sold as it was excellent. Strat sounds in a Tele body is win/win!
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 262
    I have a G&L ASAT Classic S Alnico - which is essentially a Nashville Telecaster. Not EXACTLY the same as the Parallel Universe guitar but it does cover a lot of ground. I’m a big fan. Plus 6 saddle brass bridge on the G&L means typically Tele sound but better intonation. 
  • UncleBiff said:
    I had a custom shop version that I wish I never sold as it was excellent. Strat sounds in a Tele body is win/win!
    So still very strat sounding then?
    Whats the difference with the custom shop version to the standard one?
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    I've seen a few of these knocking around over the years. Looks tempting...

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b434013830
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4409
    I'm not anti the hybrid idea at all but if the only difference is the shape of the body and the hybridising doesn't cross over into how the guitar functions or sounds it seems fairly pointless. I prefer Reverend's take on the strat tele hybrid:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 967
    edited July 2020
    I hava a G&L ASAT Z3 with Trem, that´s all the Strat Tele hybrid I could ever want.

Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • DoctorfunkDoctorfunk Frets: 67
    I had a Parallel Universe Tele/Strat Whiteguard. It sounded like a Tele but played like a Strat. The only reason I sold it was because I really don't get on with maple fingerboards but I played the heck out of it beforhand even though it was a struggle. If Fender had offered it with a rosewood board it will still be in the collection. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ICBM said:
    Abomination.
    I lol’d your comment, initially, but then I googled one, as I’d never seen one before. Came back to change it to a wiz. God, what we’re they thinking/smoking..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7440
    I wouldn't buy one, but it just looks like a Strat with a bit of wood added. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Lewy said:
    I'm not anti the hybrid idea at all but if the only difference is the shape of the body and the hybridising doesn't cross over into how the guitar functions or sounds it seems fairly pointless. I prefer Reverend's take on the strat tele hybrid:

This for the win! Looks superb
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23807

This one?

Fender Unveils Parallel Universe Guitar Series Featuring Strat

It appeals to me more than most of the other parallel universe models.  It's basically a Tele-shaped Strat, there aren't any Tele features as such - but of the two, I think a Tele hangs on a strap a bit more comfortably than a Strat does, so in principle I quite like the idea.

I think the '50s styling looks wrong though - it would be better in a different colour, with a black scratchplate and a big headstock like a '70s Tele Deluxe.

• Yeh thats it,
    quite like it tbh
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14834
    edited July 2020
    usedtobe said:
    ICBM said:
    Abomination.
    what we’re they thinking/smoking?
    I suspect that Fender has been browsing the customers’ finished projects gallery on the Warmoth website.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73180
    As Lewy said, I don't mind some of the more creative hybrids which actually give useful combinations of the sounds of both guitars - but the Fender one is just a Strat with the wrong body shape and a really ugly pickguard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27881
    andy_k said:
    That's definitely better, but also quite fugly.

Surely you'd want Tele sounds from a Strat shape, rather than Strat sounds from a less comfy guitar? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • martin1914martin1914 Frets: 13
    I have LSL Mongrel, which is a strat shape, tele bridge, strat middle and neck pickup, tele control panel with 5-way switch. One of the best guitars I have ever played. Bridge pickup is a 100% tele, the remaining positions sound like strat, positions 2 and 4 are perfect. Definitely a keeper.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    I have LSL Mongrel, which is a strat shape, tele bridge, strat middle and neck pickup, tele control panel with 5-way switch. One of the best guitars I have ever played. Bridge pickup is a 100% tele, the remaining positions sound like strat, positions 2 and 4 are perfect. Definitely a keeper.
    Oohhh that’s cool, can I see a pic ? I’ve been bang into this design ever since DAG/Chad Underwood debuted it as the Telstar which @andy_k posted a pic of above. In fact I built my own bitsa based on it !