Low to Mid Budget Multi FX Unit recommendations.

What's Hot
Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
I know this is going to be a contentious issue and I also understand that Multi-FX units aren't going to give you godly tone in general but I'm looking for a multi-FX unit on a low to mid level budget.

I just play at home and rather than having a few pedals and getting caught up in the wires etc I'd like decent sounding multi-FX.

Now the TC Electronic Nova system springs to mind but at £300 it's kind of hitting my budget limit.  I might sell my Vox Lil NT head and cab to recoup some funds but I'm generally looking around £200 tops if possible!

Would also like it to put a backing track through it if I can and maybe a patch editor?

I've used a POD HD 500 but I couldn't really get on with it, maybe it just clashed with my amp but I just found it a little overwhelming too with all it's layouts and features.

Maybe I'm asking too much?

Opinions appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    consider the Zoom G3 which are going for £80-90 used on this forum. Superb sounds and exceptionally easy to use plus a built in drum machine. Plug in a USB cable and use Zoom's Edit and Share software and you can mess via your PC to your heart's content.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Zoom G3.

Only multi I've liked, but I prefer stompies, so sold it

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    edited June 2014
    Second hand Nova systems are coming in between £150 to £195 on Ebay and forums. I think they're fiddly crap but never mind...

If all you want is effects then the Zoom G3 at £110 and the Digitech RP360 at £120 are the kings in that price bracket. Very flexible and easy to use and the Nexus editor on the RP360 is rather good. You can't go wrong with either unit. If you're into computer editing, I'd go 360, if you want something to sit on a pedalboard then go with the G3. 

As ever I shall plug the old Boss GT3. Lovely old heavy stompie fun for bugger all cash!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Second hand Nova systems are coming in between £150 to £195 on Ebay and forums. I think they're fiddly crap but never mind...

If all you want is effects then the Zoom G3 at £110 and the Digitech RP360 at £120 are the kings in that price bracket. Very flexible and easy to use and the Nexus editor on the RP360 is rather good. You can't go wrong with either unit. If you're into computer editing, I'd go 360, if you want something to sit on a pedalboard then go with the G3. 

As ever I shall plug the old Boss GT3. Lovely old heavy stompie fun for bugger all cash!
    Thanks for the recommendations!  Torn between the G3 and RP360, it seems the G3 demo's sound better on YouTube?  Is it a better sounding unit in the flesh too?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    I've gigged with the Vox Tonelab ST and been very pleased with it, so it might be worth a look .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    G3 

I had a Nova System and it sounded good, but it's a piece of shit to program.
  • Zoom g5 if budget allows? I think it's the same as the g3 but more.

Second hand, you can get the g7.1ut. That's slightly older generation tech though so I don't know how it sounds...
    Arktik83 said:

Thanks for the recommendations!  Torn between the G3 and RP360, it seems the G3 demo's sound better on YouTube?  Is it a better sounding unit in the flesh too?
    I'd say the Zoom G3 just tips the balance. Also factor in the reliability. It's been out for a while now and plenty have been sold. I can't remember seeing any reports of poor reliability thus far. 

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 643

I have a Digitech RP500 which I'd heartily recommend. Very easy to tweak, even live. Having said that, the Zoom G3 or G3X sound great from what I've heard, although if you need/ want pitch-shift effects, the Digitech does this a lot better. I have the MS70-CDR which has a lot of the same modulation models as the G3 and it sounds great.

• photekphotek Frets: 1507
    edited June 2014
    Its got to be a TC Nova System Neil. Brilliant sounding pedal. As @monquixote says it is a pain to program but if you aren't using it live then that isn't a problem in my opinion. Delays are superb, overdrive, distortion and compression are great.

The G3 is ok but I found the quality of the Nova System effects much better.
    The lack of flexibility in the Nova system killed it for me and TC effects are a bit 'love them or hate them'. In terms of programming it's horrible. If the OP couldn't get to grips with the HD500, then I doubt the Nova will be a winner. 

RP500 is pretty good. I'm selling mine. 

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Took the plunge and bought a G5!  Should turn up tomorrow.  Thanks for all the input guys!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I have used a GT3 the TC Nova and a Zoom 9.2tt

GT3 - hideous sound, if you have a good amp dont put this near it
    TC - bit fiddly, my friends used to switch off at random
    Zoom 9.2tt - I really like this unit but you have to put some time in configuring all the levels so you dont get any surprises between patches.

I got my 9.2tt for £90 I think. I use it all the time for home recording. I would get another in a heartbeat
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    GT3 - hideous sound, if you have a good amp dont put this near it

That surprises me. The reverbs, mods and delays are excellent and the amps sim can be really good if you're careful with the EQ. The only effects I wasn't particularly enamoured with were the drives when used with a real amp. When you use the built in drives with the built in amp sims even then they are decent enough.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    No one mentioned M9 yet? or even a secondhand M13.  Stretching price but I loved mine.

It is a better layout than the hd series IMO, but if you didn't like the sounds then it won't be for you either.

My best advice, by secondhand, and flip if you don't like it, at least then you aren't loosing money
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    Get a used Nova System, they go for around £200, and as joeyowen says, if you buy second hand you won't lose money if you decide it isn't for you
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    I really liked the Nova system - just the odd style of switching that made me move on but I like the sound enough to upgrade to the Gsystem. I thought the programming was really simple but it's all relative I guess

If I wanted something now I'd go for:

Nova sys but with a midi pedal to sort the switching out.
    Line 6  pod xtlive - turn off the amp sims and use for fx and they sound fine with plenty of fx options.
    Yamaha DG stomp - I still have one, very very easy to use and sounds great - not many of them still around but I wish they would reisssue them with 4 patches per bank and a noise gate. 

• Zoom G7's can be had pretty cheaply, sub £100... Never used one, but sort of tempted. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Get a used boss gt-8. Run it 4CM. Its good enough for Nuno.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I'd get a used Boss GT-XX of some sort . The guitarist is Puressence uses one with just a better distortion & an extra delay & he sounds OK.