Your favourite guitar work from someone hired as guitar player for an album?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16362
     exocet said:
    Robbed Ford on Cool Cat Blues by Georgie Fame.

I think this track features the definitive Dumble Overdrive Special tone. Steve Gadds on it as well. 
    https://youtu.be/7ZuUb32dmuY
    Ford is on a lot of stuff ( some Kiss tracks I think!) although this is the one  that comes to mind for me:

I think possibly what it has in common with some of the other tracks I've liked on this Discussion is very talented people having to work under greater constraints than usual - although not so constrained that their individuality doesn't show still. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    edited July 2020
    Belinda Carlisle, Leave a Light On For Me, featuring lovely playing from George Harrison, doing his usual great ‘song within a song’ stuff on the solo.

In fact this video is so great it’s just as good with the sound off.

Enioy.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZYE8j2ZNs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2356
    The various Bowie guitarists have already been mentioned, so I’m going to nominate Danny Kortchmar on Don Henley’s album Building the Perfect Beast. It’s best known for the single The Boys of Summer (which I love) but his playing on the rest of the album always works to the benefit of the song.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    edited July 2020
    Keefy said:
    The various Bowie guitarists have already been mentioned, so I’m going to nominate Danny Kortchmar on Don Henley’s album Building the Perfect Beast. It’s best known for the single The Boys of Summer (which I love) but his playing on the rest of the album always works to the benefit of the song.
    Not to mention Mike Campbell's part in the album...........and the guitar parts on "The Boys of Summer"

That sounded a little preachy...............adding for evenness: That said, Danny Kortchmar is an amazing guitarist and has a body of work that is enviable.

Still like Mike Campbell for serving the music though.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    SRich said:
    Keefy said:
    Not to mention Mike Campbell's part in the album...........and the guitar parts on "The Boys of Summer"
    Well I never knew that!

*scurries off to scrutinise CD inlay*
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5006
    Richard Thompson did the solo on Sister Madly by Crowded House.

Tommy Bolin on Billy Cobham's Spectrum.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14736
    Adrian Belew on Nine Inch Nails’ The Downward Spiral and Further Down The Spiral.
    Michael Bloomfield on Highway 61 Revisited 
    John McLaughlin on Miles Davis’ A Tribute To Jack Johnson.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name" has a ton of name players as side-men.

The playing on "Cowboy Movie" is Jerry Garcia, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Could_Only_Remember_My_Name#Personnel

It's a bloody great album, anyway, and I'm not normally a big fan of most of those musicians.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2635
    edited July 2020
    Keefy said:
    SRich said:
    Keefy said:
    Well I never knew that!

*scurries off to scrutinise CD inlay*

Not only that, but Campbell wrote the song, or at least the music for the song.  Campbell offered it to Tom Petty first and only took it to Henley when Petty passed on it.  Rare error of judgement from Petty.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3342
    SRich said:
    Doesn't get any better than Larry Carlton on "The Royal Scam"..........................YMMV
    You beat me to it and let's also add Larry to The Nightfly
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73015
    Rocker said:

Phil Lynott, his song 'King's Call' features Mark Knopfler on guitar.
    That's an outstanding song.

Redlester said:
    Belinda Carlisle, Leave a Light On For Me, featuring lovely playing from George Harrison, doing his usual great ‘song within a song’ stuff on the solo.

In fact this video is so great it’s just as good with the sound off.
    Anything with Belinda Carlisle is almost as good with the sound off :).

Keefy said:

I’m going to nominate Danny Kortchmar on Don Henley’s album Building the Perfect Beast. It’s best known for the single The Boys of Summer (which I love) but his playing on the rest of the album always works to the benefit of the song.
    Given how much I like the Eagles and some of Henley's other solo work - The End Of The Innocence in particular, although Inside Job is also pretty good - I should like that album... but I've tried several times and I just don't like anything on it apart from Boys Of Summer and A Month Of Sundays (which was the B-side of the BOS single). Don't like as in actively dislike, really.

Does Todd Rundgren on Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell count? I think he was credited as producer, but he played all of the guitar on the album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Kebabkid said:
    SRich said:
    Doesn't get any better than Larry Carlton on "The Royal Scam"..........................YMMV
    You beat me to it and let's also add Larry to The Nightfly
    Another one here for the Larry Fan Club.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited July 2020
    Dann Huff ~ Whitesnake  www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRW7u1v_rmM
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:

I’m going to nominate Danny Kortchmar on Don Henley’s album Building the Perfect Beast. It’s best known for the single The Boys of Summer (which I love) but his playing on the rest of the album always works to the benefit of the song.
    Given how much I like the Eagles and some of Henley's other solo work - The End Of The Innocence in particular, although Inside Job is also pretty good - I should like that album... but I've tried several times and I just don't like anything on it apart from Boys Of Summer and A Month Of Sundays (which was the B-side of the BOS single). Don't like as in actively dislike, really.

Does Todd Rundgren on Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell count? I think he was credited as producer, but he played all of the guitar on the album.
    TBH Building the Perfect Beast hasn't aged that well.

And yes, Todd Rundgren on Bat Out Of Hell definitely counts!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3114
    Much as I hate to say it, a certain Mr Gilmore solo on All About Eve / Are You Lonely is lovely. Not sure he was technically hired though. Think he was in the next door studio and stuck his head in to see what was going on.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    blobb said:
    Much as I hate to say it, a certain Mr Gilmore solo on All About Eve / Are You Lonely is lovely. Not sure he was technically hired though. Think he was in the next door studio and stuck his head in to see what was going on.
    Bit more involved than that.   https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/archive/david-gilmour-all-about-eve-collaborations-reissued.html

Massive fan of AAE, they were my first proper gig when I was 16. And a big Floyd fan. So hearing Dave on an AAE album was such a great moment when that album was released.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Don't know if it counts technically, but John Sykes on 1987 produced some of my favourite ever recorded guitar work.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3356
    gusman2x said:
    Don't know if it counts technically, but John Sykes on 1987 produced some of my favourite ever recorded guitar work.
    Certainly treated as hired help by all accounts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    Tony McPhee on Billy Boy Arnold's Checkin It Out, a very under-rated album.