Opinions on mid 90s Patrick Eggle Berlin Plus

What's Hot
What do Eggle afficionados think about them and what do they usually go for? I know, I could google but I think you guys are more reliable.
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14865
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    What feels right, plays right etc is a matter of taste - The best comment I can offer is that you'll get a lot of guitar for your money when you buy today - They are not necessarily under priced as supply/demand helps to determine such issues 

They have had somewhat of a checker-ed history, regarding ownership, which did not help at the time

Any of the Berlin models are worth looking at - The chassis is the same/similar on all models - The bigger difference is the 'cosmetic' extras - Colour coded bumpers/wing mirrors etc etc - They did not really offer a superior model based on build quality/attention to detail etc, but there would be variations on figured maple tops, inlays, pick-ups etc 

The above is an overview - Probably easier to speak about the finer detail regarding specific guitars, when you post 2/3 options of guitars that are currently listed for sale 

They have their fan clubs, but as an overview the market place is more low key

@revmatt can add a lot more info as required
  • Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14865
    tFB Trader
    changed p/ups but don't see any issue with that - hard to fault at that price especially with that case

check fret wear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    edited July 2020
    I bought a Berlin ProV last year for round that same kind of money. With such low build runs, and as mentioned above, with such a range of user-addons like edge binding, fancy fretboard inlays, pickup-trim, and heavily figured wood, you do get the feeling that each one of them is unique. They have their own coil splitting set-up too, which helps give some nice clean single coil sounds as well as the humbucker tones.

For me the shape and feel of the neck is what makes it - maybe like a Fender C ? - coupled with decent parts and good looking woods throughout. You do get a sense when you handle it that they are/were hand-finished (tho whether they were or not I have to confess I don't know. The setup on mine was utterly atrocious when I bought it btw - but that's another story..:) )

They are a lot of guitar for the money - imho.

edit - if I had that one, first thing I'd do is stick a set of decent quality aluminium pickup rings on it to match the tuners, bridge and tailpiece. A small change, but looks great against those darker flamed and quilted body colours
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom