Almost happy NGD

What's Hot
wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Well after posting a wanted add over here (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/184980/wtb-mij-jackson-charvel-ibanez-near-derbyshire-sorted) and having been looking at various classifieds sites on and off for a good while, something popped up on an auction site that looked ideal. Unfortunately it was a distance away so overruled me wanting to use my current in-house slush fund and risk the courier services. The guitar in question is a '98 Jackson DK2 Dinky.

All looked good initially, it looked very well packed, plenty of cardboard, polystyrene, bubble wrapped round a gig bag, then bubble wrapped inside round the guitar itself. Everything was getting very exciting unpacking until the final stages as you'll see...

https://i.imgur.com/MsdMTOy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rlYqgnf.jpg

I'm not sure what's caused it, there didn't appear to be any damage to the packaging at all and was well protected as far as I can tell inside so can only think it's just had a shock during it's travel that's caused it to move inside the packing enough and take a hit. I've messaged the seller to let them know, I'm not sure what the best course of action is from here. Other than the damage, everything else is good, so a real shame it's met this fate after all these years.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9636
    I don't think your pictures have worked mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    edited July 2020
    Ha, you're telling me, I still can't get them to show properly! Sorted :cry: 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17003
    the links work.

Its always a weak point on head stocks like this.  I would re-glue, insert some  reinforcing splines in the front and refinish

but its the sellers problem to sort, not yours
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    Pictures look like they're showing fine now, and that is tragic! Are you going to see if it can be repaired?
    Tim
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7901
    edited July 2020
    Jeez! I would assume it fell on the headstock side of the cardboard and the weight was directly transferred. Would have been better to remove the neck and make a fatter, shorter box IMO
    Jeez! I would assume it fell on the headstock side of the cardboard and the weight was directly transferred. Would have been better to remove the neck and make a fatter, shorter box IMO
    Yeah that's the only thing that I can think, it's that it's been put down heavily on the wrong end :(
    edited July 2020
    Post removed, inferred something that wasn't there
    edited July 2020
    Was looking for something that wasn't there, can you tell I'm slightly upset? :(
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I always pack a substantial lathe of wood that is longer than the guitar so it takes the heavy whack if possible rather than the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rossi said:
    I always pack a substantial lathe of wood that is longer than the guitar so it takes the heavy whack if possible rather than the guitar.
    What a good idea. I honestly do think the seller made a really good effort to protect this, if I'd done an unboxing video it would have been boring and about 15 minutes long! At no point until getting right down to the guitar did I have any pause for concern.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    they can be repaired, often better, just like Gibson neck breaks..  but indeed, not your problem to solve I guess; unless you can strike a deal..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    Ah that's a shame. It doesn't seem like an obvious weak point at first glance like around the nut.
    Well after a conversation with the very courteous and apologetic seller I'll be sending it back to him once I've packaged it all back up. We've agreed for me to detach the neck, which he wishes he'd done in hindsight and I'll be super wrapping everything up to make sure it gets back safely.

I think it really has just been one of those unfortunate events and find myself lucky to have such an understanding seller. He also suggested getting the headstock glued and whilst it might be fine with a bit of touch up after, I'd sooner replace the neck completely but we're both happy for it to be returned and refunded.

So close but I guess it just wasn't to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom