NPD: Alter Ego x4 (Now with Samples)

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited June 2014 in FX
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Nice looking peda; for sure, out of my price range though at the moment!

clips? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    Futher thoughts on this now I'm not distracted by playing it.

Sounds really great, I spent time just noodling through each sound on there and they're all pretty inspiring. There's no way on the pedal to change the amount of modulation, but TC have obviously spent time getting each one just right.

Everything sounds nice and organic, I was only playing clean and into my Yamaha THR10. I'll get the chance to try it in my main amps FX loop at the weekend so I can try it with some gain (and maybe some fuzz for Gilmour inspired fun :-) )

I'm see if I can record some clips...I'm pretty sure I'll use it somewhere in my entry to the next Fretboard (recording) challenge.

I'm undecided if the lack of a global tempo is going to be a pain or not. I've bought this for my ambient stuff and recording not for using with the bands so I doubt it'll be a big issue. 

I'm not that keen on the looper though, seems a bit limited, and I have a Ditto X2 on my board anyway so I'll stick with that (plus I like my looper after my reverb, a Big Sky, which is sometimes a key part of my loops).

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    Get the Toneprint Editor loaded up - you can edit all the modulation types and parameters in there :)
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream;277379" said:
    Get the Toneprint Editor loaded up - you can edit all the modulation types and parameters in there :)
    I really should get round to that. I've had a Flashback and then the single Alter Ego since that came out but still haven't done anything with the editor!

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    can you edit the presets? or just toneprints from the website?

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    I'm not sure you can edit the presets with the software... Think they are locked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    JohnPerry said:
    can you edit the presets? or just toneprints from the website?
    You can edit pretty much anything you like (you can even start one from scratch if you want), but you can only store them in the available Toneprint slots on the device. The normal Toneprint pedals have one slot, while the X4 pedals have four slots you can use to store them.
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I keep looking at stuff like this and concluding that I'll still want a Timeline (or another Timefactor) if I bought one. 

Very interested to hear clips though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Here's a quick (well 12 minutes) of the Alter Ego x4 in action. I recorded a loop with my Ditto looper then just went through the new sounds in order (I missed out the 2290 Mod and Rev Mod). The sequence is listed in the soundcloud info. At the end the loop is played clean. http://soundcloud.com/not_the_dj/alter-ego-demo/s-pwrnM
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited June 2014
    Sounds great, lots of variation in there and then you could tweak them in the editor - see how I'm talking myself put of one..? One question about the usability on the fly. If say you're on saved setting A but the knobs are for something completely different, if you wanted to tweak a setting, say decrease the feedback would the delay sound completely change to what's showing on all the knobs when you move the feedback knob or would it just be the feedback that changes?
    Just the knob you change (I think). I've packed up now but pretty sure.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    around the 7min mark is a real nice sound, the mix is set juuust right
    edited June 2014
    Did I first stab at rearranging my big board around it. The Hendrix Fuzz Face into the Echorec setting is glorious (and wonderfully Gilmourish) http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/Mobile Uploads/2014-06/50F2D939-4154-45BD-884C-F094EC85C30C_zpsngcohq6u.jpg
    joeyowen said:
    around the 7min mark is a real nice sound, the mix is set juuust right

That'd be the Copykat setting I reckon.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    edited June 2014
    Still pretty sure you can't edit the presets in the software @digitalscream ;

Otherwise, everyone would save them and share them and no one would need to buy anything other than the flashback.

I used the tone print software with the Flashback and I'm almost certain you could only build new tone prints from scratch. Albeit you could do some great things but it wasn't possible to edit any of the preset delays or downloaded artist tone prints.

I'm only harping on about this in case someone buys one under false pretenses. 
  • dano91dano91 Frets: 24
    Great demo and nice pedalboard you've got there. Got some really sweet sounds out of it - glad that you're happy with it!