NGD: Yamaha LLX26 does not usurp my AR5M :-)

What's Hot
So, I picked up one of the blowout L series guitars which arrived today.

I'm not really an acoustic expert but I've started playing acoustic a lot more over the last year or so. I had a Yamaha AR5M which has been my main acoustic and I thought that I'd be selling it to fund the LLX.

Oh dear, I was wrong, it's not going anywhere.

The LLX is great, has a totally different sound with much more refinement, bigger bass and sweeter treble but with a slightly held back mid range. I really love it.

It just doesn't do the very quick response and stronger mid range of my AR5M though and I think there's a place for both.

Probably comes as no surprise to more experienced acoustic players that rosewood vs. mahogany has this effect but it came as a surprise to this dufus.

I'm going to have to reign back the spending next month or sell something else 'cause both the Yams are staying!
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    This thread is useless without pics.

Please show us some pics
    please
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will get some up this evening :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited July 2020
    Not quite the same thing, but close - LL26 and AC3R.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited July 2020
    In my case the LL26 absolutely does usurp the AC3R in acoustic tone.  There's leagues of difference between them.  The LL has big, controlled bass, sweet treble, and enough midrange for balance.  The A is quieter, boxy, without the top and bottom extension.  A direct comparison is a bit embarrassing for the A, although in fairness it's a stage guitar that doesn't need to sound wonderful unplugged - the plugged-in sound is mostly modelled, after all.  It deserves a new set of strings which will help a bit.  In isolation it's still a good-sounding instrument but does suffer from a lack of bass - which is probably a bonus in a live setting.

I know the A5 is nearly twice the price of the A3, and Japanese made to boot, however I did try one in the shop as a comparison and it was still a league behind the L series.

I was really tempted by the LLX26 although I now have a brilliant acoustic for miking, and a brilliant stage acoustic for plugging in.  But for a do-it-all instrument surely the LLX is unsurpassed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited July 2020
    Here's my two!

@modellista yeah, I wouldn't say that may LL26 isn't an obviously better guitar than my A5M, but my A series has enough to offer in different ways for it to be worth me keeping both. I though I'd be selling the A series but it's a keeper :-)

The A5M is much more mid range focussed and does not have the deep lush bass and treble quality of the LL.
    It does feel like it has a tighter/faster response though, and if you want stronger midrange it has a nice sound in its own way that the LL doesn't provide.

Love 'em both!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom