My homemade pedal board!

What's Hot
basslooserbasslooser Frets: 17

I wanted to share some of my new love...

Recently I was thinking about purchasing Salvage Custom or Helweg board, but those are so ridiculously expensive to ship to Europe that I just decided to make my own board similar to those beauties.

And this is what I built!

How do you like it?

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    It looks superb, nicely done sir! Although if there was any chance of another pic or 2, showing the board in use, that would be cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • basslooserbasslooser Frets: 17

Thanks Mate!

here are other pics, I havent load it yet and finished the top, but that should be done soon!imageimage

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Cheers for the extra pics - it does look like a pro bit of kit, and would love to see a pic showing the whole thing once you've got it loaded and the top finished.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    It looks great. Would be great to see some more pics and also some guide as to how you did it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    Looks ace, but we need to see more if it!
  • Looks nice, but the vignette effect with the tweedy look hurt my eyes a bit!

I want to see the whole thing, it looks fantastic! Could you give a quick step by step on building? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I'll echo the comments so far - looks great, but if you felt like sharing some more pictures, I'd love to see them :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Great case it makes my Gorm look a bit sick more photos would be great
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    That looks very pro-like - nice one. I, too, would love to see more pics and the inside
    Excuse the message - @dindude - sent you a couple of pms. Messages full?

Thanks for all support and good words. They really mean a lot for me. I gave all my heart to this baby :)

I will post some more photos tonight I think...

I did sacrifice my back for making it and now I have some serious back problems and have to lay in bed, but will ask my wife when she will be back home.

The process was quite long. As from the start I wanted it to be PRO board.

It turned out so great that I am thinking of doing business. So if anyone would be interested in ordering customized board for himself let me know.

So I can walk you through some step by step process parts...

1) Design.

I designed this board using 3D graphic tools (not anything fancy, but at that time I wanted the case to be done by someone else, so I needed to some graphics).

Design is crutial. You have to measure everything and predict what may cause any issues or problems (I had some minor tweaks I had to make). You have to factor in all measurements, spaces for movements of pedalboard, spaces for material, etc.

With all measurements ready you are good to go

2) Parts supply.

Another very long process. Picking parts and finding them arround you is not very easy (I was not prepared for that). Most of the parts I ordered online (hardware & electric), but because nobody had everything in one place I had to order it from couple suppliers (stuff like tweed, tolex seperately, than locks, inlets, Velcro stuff like that),

3) Putting it together

This requires workshop or garage at least. I don't have pro workshop so I was doing it in In-Laws garage. I had to set up table, buy / borrow some tools (routing is crutial here) and practice on scrap first. So be prepared for sacrifices and hard work first.

You have to learn how to cut with tools, how to router the curves & holes, soldering, some upholsetery tricks (like how to lay down materials, join them, do corners), how to cover the things that cannot be messed (gluing is messy & laquering too),

4) prepare for cost - Materials are pretty expensive (you don't think so when you start to build it but it turns out pretty much with all wood, glues, hardware, textiles, deliveries, not including your time)

When I started the project I thought it would take me one weekend. But it turned out couple weekends and nights (with all practice, looking for parts, design).

I had 2 issues that I haven't predict, but it was managable to work out without any destruction.

PREPARATION & PLANNING is Key!

Will be posting some more info soon!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Ok, here are some more pics of loaded beauty

It is stereo board (2 ins & 2 outs), I havent decided yet if I want hard top or Velcro and if I will go with Lava Cables soldered or just regular Klotz + Neutrick / Switchcraft / Alphenol plugs.

Case is 73 x 46 cm (as I remember) and pedal space is 66 x 37 cm [approx 26" x 15"].

Comments are welcomed

imageimage

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    It looks superb! Puts my Gorm board to shame! Out of interest how much would you charge for building one similar size?
    I think it would be around 450-500 EUR depending on materials / tweed / jacks / etc (Including my time :)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Good work fella but very pricey! My Gorm is brill in Daphne blue and owes me £25 great for home use. I do appreciate the time and effort and price of materials. The. Salvage Custom stuff looks great but again a real luxury item. Not sure what the market is for this in the UK at that price point but congrats it's looks fantastic
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    Looks very good, a real work of art. I think there is a small market for this, for the guitarist who has everything maybe, but a market none the less.

I fully understand. But sometimes if you look at the boards with such pedals like JHS + Strymons + all boutiques, the board may be price of 2 pedals and handles 10 of them :)

Music is art & gear is inspiring too :)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    That looks utterly amazing !
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    great job! well done buddy, really well done
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    This is exactly how I'd want a board - slanted, with I/O sockets, power socket and switch. Tidy!
    Oh yea! I wanted it to be sooo tidy and clean! I love clean board setup