Using a neck pickup in the middle position (strat) ?...

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
Okay, this is to check I'm not being totally thick... Is there any downside to using the same (neck) pickup for both the neck and middle position on a strat?

They would be from the same manufacturer so I'm thinking that as they are both wound the same (clockwise) and with the same polarity, it should work out fine (albeit without the rwrp hum cancelling benefit, which I don't particularly care about)?

Right?? ;)
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23941
    That's what guitar manufacturers themselves have done for many years.

I don't claim to be an expert on Fender pickup specs but I suspect in the early years they just picked up three pickups from a parts bin and wired them in wherever - there were no "bridge", "middle" or "neck" models.

Even when aftermarket pickups from the likes of DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan appeared, they didn't have three different pickups in a set - there was usually a "neck/middle" model (perhaps with an RW/RP option), and a slightly hotter "bridge" model.

You'll be fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 260
    The poles may be slightly further apart for the neck, 50mm for middle and 52 for the neck, if you have a cover it may not fit.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Cheers, make sense! And yes I did read somewhere that fender just used the same three pickups originally. I was more worried about the out of phase thing
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73309

I was more worried about the out of phase thing
    Strat pickups have never been out of phase, despite the incorrect popular name given to the two-pickup sounds - at least not intentionally, since there is no common standard between manufacturers. If you use two pickups from the same maker you shouldn’t have any problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I was more worried about the out of phase thing
    Strat pickups have never been out of phase, despite the incorrect popular name given to the two-pickup sounds - at least not intentionally, since there is no common standard between manufacturers. If you use two pickups from the same maker you shouldn’t have any problems.

Thank you!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    The Fender Classic 60's pickups I had were all the same, sounded fine.
    edited July 2020
    By way of an update... As expected, neck pickup in the middle is absolutely fine. BUT.... do not expect manufacturers (in this case Tonerider) to have a consistent approach to what magnet direction they use for any given pickup position across their range or over time... .

Sure enough the bridge pickup I am keeping in the guitar (another, older, Tonerider) is reverse polarity to the new neck pickup I installed in the middle (but wound in the same direction, as expected). Holy out-of-phase thinness in position 2, Batman! No bother though, will either order a new Tonerider bridge pickup to complete the set (as it will have the correct polarity) or flip the hot/ground on the exisiting bridge pickup.

Cautionnary tale, though.

Oh and by the by, the Tonerider Pure Vintage neck pickup sounds awesome. Classic strat heaven.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 763
    I just read your other thread;

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/186346/now-that-is-customer-service#latest

It sounds like you have a more than satisfactory outcome!

I hope it all sounds great once you get your new pickups wired up! 
    I just read your other thread;

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/186346/now-that-is-customer-service#latest

It sounds like you have a more than satisfactory outcome!

I hope it all sounds great once you get your new pickups wired up! 
    It already does :). Very happy with the tonerider pure vintage, bit mellower than the classic blues. I very very rarely use position 2 anyway, but will be good to have everything working as it should and without having to extend any wires to reverse the phase...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14859
    a consistent approach to what magnet direction they use for any given pickup position across their range or over time... .
    In their defence, Tonerider may just be faithfully reproducing a change that Fender themselves made on Stratocaster pickups. 

Reversing the magnetic polarity of some Alnico formulas is easily achievable. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    a consistent approach to what magnet direction they use for any given pickup position across their range or over time... .
    In their defence, Tonerider may just be faithfully reproducing a change that Fender themselves made on Stratocaster pickups. 

Reversing the magnetic polarity of some Alnico formulas is easily achievable. 

Explanation straight from Tonerider (as mentioned in my other thread):

"You are correct that we have changed the polarity since 2012 to make HSS HSH and other unusual installs much easier and without phase issues.  Our apologies for the confusion.