Metal Strat Conversion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    MattFGBI said:
    Without a thorough inspection it's hard to say but the fact it's gone green does suggest the top coat has yellowed, possibly with UV exposure over time.

Looks like it started life in this range: 
    https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fender/1982/en_12.html

We're not in the office at the moment but I have the original English version of that catalogue.... when I can get it I'll try and scan the page and the specs for you. 

Yes I believe you are correct.

It had the gold knobs and jack socket when I first got it, but it had been butchered and had a Kahler Floyd so the original bridge was gone and the wiring had been messed up. I rewired it without the fancy switching they are supposed to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    gusman2x said:
    Absolute stunner! Maybe the best strat I've ever seen. ANd I'm typically not for matching headstocks on strats either. Gorgeous.

Conventional wisdom is that the "Strat" model is ugly because the body contours are wrong, but I've always liked it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    monquixote said:
    Conventional wisdom is that the "Strat" model is ugly because the body contours are wrong, but I've always liked it.

Also the headstock is completely wrong!  I remember they claimed at the time to have gone back to the "original tooling" but it must have been worn out, or something!

Anyway, looks great now with the new pickups.  I like black-on-white or white-on-black with the plastic parts.  I was always intrigued by the Billy Corgan model, some thought went into those pickups and I think they discontinued the guitar too soon.

Here's how it would have originally looked - I couldn't find any good pictures of a rosewood-board one.

1980 Fender The Strat Vintage Electric Guitar Stratocaster Lake Placid Blue 100 Original w Tags

1980 Fender The Strat Vintage Electric Guitar Stratocaster Lake Placid Blue 100 Original w Tags1980 Fender The Strat Vintage Electric Guitar Stratocaster Lake Placid Blue 100 Original w Tags

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Great Strat! The knackered paintjob and the old screw holes totally makes it!
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    monquixote said:

Also the headstock is completely wrong!  I remember they claimed at the time to have gone back to the "original tooling" but it must have been worn out, or something!

Yeah, I think they went back to some 60's tools to make the bodies, but they were all worn and out of whack!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    I don't think the colour change is that unusual for a blue guitar. My mate's got a 97 Squier ProTone Strat which started trans blue but is now a fairly dark green.