Buying Custom Shop Les Pauls Online and Unplayed

What's Hot
vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Hi all,

Thinking of getting a Custom Shop Les Paul online and unplayed due to Covid and local stores not having anything I fancy. Would anyone else feel comfortable doing this?

How is Gibson QC nowadays and are CS les pauls generally more consistent? Genuine question, not trolling! For example I'd buy a Suhr unplayed as quality is high and consistent.

Edit: also any years more consistent than others or are these just rumours online? also, I’m relatively new to Les Pauls so may have more questions. Thanks in advance!  ( I’m a strat man at heart branching out!)

Thanks,

Vince
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5115
    Just make sure the returns process is super easy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5539
    Use a reputable dealer like Peach - you could probably ask them to play them for you and handpick a great one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1119
    edited July 2020
    Don't take any shortcuts - do your research and take your time. Make sure you get exactly the top that you want. Pay the money. Use a retailer that has a good returns policy. Nothing better than a Custom Les Paul. QC debate is just keyboard warrior crap. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7231
    I'm keen to purchase with Ishibashi myself LP customwise but can you imagine the returns if it's no good???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14024
    The Gibson Shop guitars I've bought online have all been excellent and consistently good. The only thing I check is the neck sideways alignment, look at the online pics for even outer string spacing with the edge of the fretboard. This can vary slightly and some Custom Shop guitars can have quite off alignment. 

The only other issue I've encountered was a low cut 3rd string nut slot that caused open string rattle. This was on an R7 I tried in store out of a roomful of Gibsons.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4187
    But several quite long guitar cables.   Put one end in an envelope and post to your chosen guitar shops.  When it arrives,  plug the other end in your amp and get them to play a few LPs so you can choose the one you like best. 
    23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23941
    But several quite long guitar cables.   Put one end in an envelope and post to your chosen guitar shops.  When it arrives,  plug the other end in your amp and get them to play a few LPs so you can choose the one you like best. 
    Bravo!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12095
    I know this is a joke...but...with wireless system now, if you pair that up with the tech in cloud gaming (low latency)...it should be possible to have a transmitter one your guitar connect to an app, then the shop have the receiver into an amp and play that way. With video streaming back at you!  

it can work both ways too depending who has the guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2633
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9737
    Vince, my advice is to try some at the stores...

You are Birmingham based ? PMT and GG are very close... at least youll get an idea of whatbyou like and dont like.

Tyen, id recommend to take a day out and visit someone who stocks. Coda is the best imho, especially if you find you dont like the guitar once home. Doug is phemonimal there, especially when it goes ‘wrong’.

Also, most stores have excellent returns now.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1652
    There’s nothing wrong with buying online because of the returns facility. However, when making a sizeable purchase I can’t think that taking a day out and driving to your chosen shop is the right thing to do.

There are so many variables and you want to pick the LP you like the most. You might play 10 amazing guitars but one of them you will like more than the others, that should be your guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11572
    Rabs said:
    Theres a 162 page thread about that here   D 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138353/r8-peach-deal/p1

I bought one then, but I had the advantage of knowing that I could sell it second hand for very close to what I paid for it, so it wasn't a huge risk.

I still have it, although I bought a 335 when they were blowing those out in Feb 2018.  I'm playing the 335 a lot more.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I *think* there is an R8 thread on here somewhere in which approximately 300,000 people did exactly that with a very high rate of success.

Hope you get a cracker...  :)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32057
    I know I'll be a voice in the wilderness here but I quite like buying guitars online. 

When they turn up they're either a bit special or they're not, but whenever I walk into a shop with dozens on the wall the sheer overwhelming quantity of them makes none of them special to me.

This is a habit which is enforced by where I live, but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Both my Gibsons were spot on fwiw. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73309
    The Gibson Shop guitars I've bought online have all been excellent and consistently good. The only thing I check is the neck sideways alignment, look at the online pics for even outer string spacing with the edge of the fretboard. This can vary slightly and some Custom Shop guitars can have quite off alignment.
    You need to check the vertical angle too, there’s even more variation in that. Gibson just have a problem getting the neck joint right, among other less serious issues.

Look at the height of the bridge above the body, preferably in a sideways-on pic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1119
    This thread is making me want to buy another Custom LP!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4831
    edited July 2020
    My 2 cents, for what it's worth, is that I would never buy a guitar at this price point on line. There's a lot of variation in sound and feel and finish, and I'd want to try out a lot before picking one. 

Further, you are likely to get a better deal when you are there in person. So I'd definitely invest a day or two when choosing one. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    Thanks everyone, normally I would definitely go and try guitars out in person but we’ve just had a baby meaning I want to spend time and help out with the little guy and covid has us a bit paranoid. 

There are some really good suggestions here and I’ll take em away and think about them.

Does anyone have some sort of checklist of what to look out for? Neck alignment is one i would have missed - thanks @ICBM  and @RandallFlagg . Would have thought they’d have their equipment set up to get this right all the time and spot it qc wise...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11572
    ICBM said:
    You need to check the vertical angle too, there’s even more variation in that. Gibson just have a problem getting the neck joint right, among other less serious issues.

Look at the height of the bridge above the body, preferably in a sideways-on pic.

I had a 2010 R8 where this was a problem.  The bridge was too high off the body - to the point where it was only partially on the posts, and was tilting.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12095
    Agreed on neck angle, ask for side ways photo.

If the end piece is needed too high or if the bridge is too high the guitar just won't be "right".  Yes you can top wrap but that's not the point.