Today’s Ebay king of comedy

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    Philly_Q said:

@crunchman Which is absolutely fine, nobody's saying you have to buy a relic.  I just don't understand why some people get so worked up about other people buying them.

I'm not saying "all relics good, all shiny things bad".  Lots of relics look awful - lots of Masterbuilts look particularly awful, and they cost £6k or more.  But I like guitars that look and feel a bit broken in, that have had a bit of the shine taken off them.  I like being able to pick up a guitar without agonising over accidentally giving it its first ding. 

I like what Patrick Eggle and Nik Huber do - no dents or dings or missing paint, but aged hardware and a semi-gloss/satin finish.  It just seems more "friendly" to me than a pristine glossy squeaky-clean guitar which seems almost too perfect to touch.

I don't mind that kind of thing.  I have two Gibsons with the VOS finish. It's the fake wear that does my head in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348
    i have a very nice 20 year old relicced Peugeot 206 , is it worth anything?
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    i have a very nice 20 year old relicced Peugeot 206 , is it worth anything?
    Does it drive like butter?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119

"Buy an old one".  Is that really honest?  You're taking advantage of someone else's "genuine wear" and passing it off as your own.  Perhaps you should have a little disclaimer sticker on it saying "not my own genuine wear".

My 1978 Precision was bought secondhand, and was very "worn in". I needed a decent bass pronto, and couldn't afford anything new. I wasn't passing it off as if I had been a hellraiser - it was just a second hand guitar, and very beatup.

I then rehearsed, toured and recorded with it, adding to its history and lustre - so it now has even more wear.

The main difference between genuine and prescribed reliccing would probably be the neck (ie my Precision's neck has dings, scrapes, and fretwear - whilst new relicced guuitars probably have perfect necks - is that right, as I have never played one).

Ahhhh, I am soon taking it for only its second set up in the 30 years I have had it - Rock 'n Roll !!!

My precision is genuine relic'd.

I reckon it adds £000's to the value!
  • What's a little bit bizarre is that a relic'd guitar will cost more, but a 'shop damaged' guitar will cost less.

How about a new category of 'shop relic'd'?

Personally I don't like any of the relic'd guitars I've seen. They just look like junk masquerading as an old guitar.

Old guitars with a history to them are a different thing entirely, but still look crap. Like vintage cars, maybe you'd buy one for fun but you probably wouldn't drive it to work every day or take the family out in it versus your modern safer model.