13»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16308
    So don't buy unseen/unplayed..........simples
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 332
    edited July 2020
    Cols said:
    Talk to the sellers as a first resort; explain how the guitars were unplayable/non-functioning and ask how they’d like to resolve things.

It does make things a bit sticky that you’ve already gone ahead and had them fixed by a tech at considerable cost, as it means the seller’s only options are to either a) reimburse you for the tech work or b) shrug their shoulders and say “sorry, caveat emptor and all that”.  The overall value of the guitars is another factor; if it was a pair of expensive high-end guitars £250 might be reasonable, but if it was a couple of budget beaters the repair cost might be excessive compared to the overall value of the guitars.

The Classifieds are fairly self-policing and run on trust and honesty; the Feedback section helps to identify those who are a joy and a pleasure to deal with, and the few who are bad eggs.  Talk to the sellers and try to come to an amicable arrangement before anything else.
    Thank you, good idea. I do plan to talk to them once I have more info from the tech as to exactly what needed doing to fix them. I don’t mind paying for set-ups to my specific preferences where necessary, but I thought that these guitars would require straightforward adjustments that I could do myself rather than extensive fretwork and repairs to the electronics, because both ads said the guitar played great/had been seen by a tech. 

Both guitars were safely over £1000, closer to £1500, and while I see what you’re saying about how the cost could be disproportionate if they were budget instruments, I think there’s also something to be said for how much work one might reasonably expect to have to carry out on guitars in this price range. 

I’ll update when I have a clearer picture from the tech.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12130
    I've had the same experience about 50% of the time on ebay, where I have usually been able to recoup the cost of fret levelling, which it usually is, 

I guess that, same as second hand cars, some sellers think that the next owner won't notice anything is wrong?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12130
    I once bought a 80s guitar on ebay that was as described. What was not described was the problem. The frets were uncrowned and too low for remedial crowning. In other words, a refret would be ideally needed. However it plays fine and I dont notice intonation issues.

The worst thing was that the thing reeked. I'm not fussy about a bit of tobacco smell, but this came wrapped in brown bubble wrap. It was once clear bubble wrap that had become caked in tobacco residue. It took a whole year of periodic cleaning to fumigate it. 

You just cant foresee every problem...
    I bought a guitar from eBay & collected it from the seller's flat; it was obvious as soon as I got there that he enjoyed a few recreational spliffs... the guitar smelt of weed for weeks after I got it home. Not enough to permeate my room, but enough that I got a big noseful every time I played it :lol: 
    I had a classical crossover Ramirez that stunk of cigarettes for a year, the case was easier to fix, you can heat up fabric.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    I got burned by a Fender Strat Deluxe that looked ok but the body had on close inspection been touched up in numerous places by black paint on the edges (three tone sunburst), which is hard to see in pictures...eventually resolved.  It's the first time it's happened in getting on for 20 years on eBay.  Never had a problem on the forum though.