What classical guitar should I look for?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GTCGTC Frets: 266
    GTC said:

Project Music tomorrow  to try out some Cordobas and La Patries. 
    Don't forget the Furch  ;)
    Closer inspection of their website suggests it's not in stock. Only available for order. If they have one, I'll be playing it! 

The GNC2-SW (spruce / walnut) is shown as being in stock. That's the model that I had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So it is. 
  • So, back from Project Music.

They didn't have the Furch in the shop, no matter what the website said. 
    The La Patries were well made and nice to play. I prefer plain guitars and liked how they look. Very heavy for an acoustic, not very loud and didn't sound that great. Dull, really.
    The Cordoba C10 Crossover was nice to play, but a little one dimensional in tone and not quite balanced across the strings. 
    The C7 didn't sound that great nor play that well.
    The C10 was much better. Nice balanced tone, good variation in volume between digging in and playing softly. Right hand position changes really sweetened or sharpened the tone. 
    I decided to play the C12 to see what you get for a bit more dosh. Bad move. It came home with me. 

NGD post to follow, but thanks all for your input. Now I've got some pieces to learn/relearn. :-) 
    Congratulations - the C12 looks a lovely guitar with excellent specs including lattice bracing and a raised fingerboard. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it in the NGD.

I'd never heard of lattice bracing before it was mentioned to me on this forum a short while ago. After doing some research and hearing the difference it could make on You Tube videos I've now got a hankering to try a lattice-braced classical. Unfortunately, Cordoba don't do a lefty version of the C12.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12009
    GTC said:
    Congratulations - the C12 looks a lovely guitar with excellent specs including lattice bracing and a raised fingerboard. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it in the NGD.

I'd never heard of lattice bracing before it was mentioned to me on this forum a short while ago. After doing some research and hearing the difference it could make on You Tube videos I've now got a hankering to try a lattice-braced classical. Unfortunately, Cordoba don't do a lefty version of the C12.
    Stephen Hill makes them in Granada, he'd do a lefty, but of course more expensive

I saw a lefty "Squier" version of the Yulong Guo here, no idea how good it is, my Yulong Guo sounds very good
    https://calidoguitars.com/store/Calido-CG-3222-CAX-Left-Handed-Solid-Cedar-Top-Lattice-Braced-Arched-Indian-Rosewood-Back-p92329291
    ToneControl said:Stephen Hill makes them in Granada, he'd do a lefty, but of course more expensive

I saw a lefty "Squier" version of the Yulong Guo here, no idea how good it is, my Yulong Guo sounds very good
    https://calidoguitars.com/store/Calido-CG-3222-CAX-Left-Handed-Solid-Cedar-Top-Lattice-Braced-Arched-Indian-Rosewood-Back-p92329291
    Thanks - I saw this one and have been discussing it with Daniel at Calido who has been very helpful. I've also been exchanging messages with Rick Falkiner about the William Falkiner Australasia model - based on the same Yulong Guo design and also made in China. There'll be a 3-4 month wait for the next left-handed version but I'm leaning towards that one.
    GTC said:
    ToneControl said:Stephen Hill makes them in Granada, he'd do a lefty, but of course more expensive

Thanks - I saw this one and have been discussing it with Daniel at Calido who has been very helpful. I've also been exchanging messages with Rick Falkiner about the William Falkiner Australasia model - based on the same Yulong Guo design and also made in China. There'll be a 3-4 month wait for the next left-handed version but I'm leaning towards that one.
    if you have a month, enrol in Stephen Hills guitar-making class, spend a month in Granada on the coast in spring or autumn, and make your own lefty.

His ones are the "1A" for £6k, his apprentice's models are the 2A. You would effectively get a 2A since he'd stop you messing it up, and a lovely time in Herradura. Discounted course this year €3000
    https://www.europeaninstituteofguitarmaking.com/guitar-making-course-price/

if you have a month, enrol in Stephen Hills guitar-making class, spend a month in Granada on the coast in spring or autumn, and make your own lefty.

His ones are the "1A" for £6k, his apprentice's models are the 2A. You would effectively get a 2A since he'd stop you messing it up, and a lovely time in Herradura. Discounted course this year €3000
    Thanks - a very nice idea but, alas, not practical for me. I've reserved a left-handed William Falkiner - I've got plenty else to amuse me whilst waiting.
    GTC said:

Thanks - a very nice idea but, alas, not practical for me. I've reserved a left-handed William Falkiner - I've got plenty else to amuse me whilst waiting.
    I like the idea of going there one day
    Following more exchanges with Daniel at Calido, it is basically an identical guitar to the William Falkiner Australsia - made in China to the same basic Yulong Guo design, but having the added benefit of "raised fretboard" (i.e. dropped upper body). LIke the William Falkiner, it has a solid cedar top rather than a "double top" 

It was made by a recognised Chinese luthier, Mr. Liu, who was trained by Yulong Guo.

So, I've ordered it and should be here shortly -  Hurricane Laura, USPS and UK Customs permitting. 

Thanks for the tip - although I'd already seen it, it made me look afresh. I've cancelled my William Falkiner reservation which was only a casual reservation (no deposit required) from a batch that he already had on order from China.
    GTC said:
    Following more exchanges with Daniel at Calido, it is basically an identical guitar to the William Falkiner Australsia - made in China to the same basic Yulong Guo design, but having the added benefit of "raised fretboard" (i.e. dropped upper body). LIke the William Falkiner, it has a solid cedar top rather than a "double top" 

It was made by a recognised Chinese luthier, Mr. Liu, who was trained by Yulong Guo.

So, I've ordered it and should be here shortly -  Hurricane Laura, USPS and UK Customs permitting. 

Thanks for the tip - although I'd already seen it, it made me look afresh. I've cancelled my William Falkiner reservation which was only a casual reservation (no deposit required) from a batch that he already had on order from China.
    my Yulong Guo has a raised fretboard. It is very useful

Some people dislike the sound of a nomex double top, so an all-wood lattice is probably a safer first lattice-braced purchase. 
  • Here's Stephen Hill's bracing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    my Yulong Guo has a raised fretboard. It is very useful

Some people dislike the sound of a nomex double top, so an all-wood lattice is probably a safer first lattice-braced purchase. 
    The one I ordered from Texas has been sitting in UK Customs for a week  :/
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 767
    Hi Big. Lots of great advice already and you'll be spoilt for choice. For £750 you're not talking Luthier made at all really. Classical come in starter (low to £150'ish), student (up to £1K'ish), luthier (several K). So you should be able to get a decent student classical. Surprised no one has mentioned the Alhambra range of guitars within which you should be able to find exactly what you want. Spanish company. Also Yamaha do make fine student classicals and a trip to Yamaha London to try them out might be fun. Personal recommendation would be to try and find a Ramirez 125 Anos. Beautiful instrument and you might like the tone. Whatever you go for, try before you buy if you can. Good Luck. 
  • DavidR said:
    Hi Big. Lots of great advice already and you'll be spoilt for choice. For £750 you're not talking Luthier made at all really. Classical come in starter (low to £150'ish), student (up to £1K'ish), luthier (several K). So you should be able to get a decent student classical. Surprised no one has mentioned the Alhambra range of guitars within which you should be able to find exactly what you want. Spanish company. Also Yamaha do make fine student classicals and a trip to Yamaha London to try them out might be fun. Personal recommendation would be to try and find a Ramirez 125 Anos. Beautiful instrument and you might like the tone. Whatever you go for, try before you buy if you can. Good Luck. 
    @DavidR Welcome to the FretBoard. Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I posted on 5th August (above) about my trip to Exeter the day before, and the guitars I tried. Including the Cordoba C12 which I liked so much that I bought it and brought it home.

Currently getting stuck in going through some lovely pieces and just enjoying the time I spend playing it. I'm not actually "studying" the classical guitar right now (I used to be a serious player when I was in my early teens) - just playing things for fun and without any objectives in mind. I just pick up the guitar, pick a piece and lose myself in the moment. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DavidR said:
    @DavidR Welcome to the FretBoard. Thanks for the good wishes and advice. I posted on 5th August (above) about my trip to Exeter the day before, and the guitars I tried. Including the Cordoba C12 which I liked so much that I bought it and brought it home.

Currently getting stuck in going through some lovely pieces and just enjoying the time I spend playing it. I'm not actually "studying" the classical guitar right now (I used to be a serious player when I was in my early teens) - just playing things for fun and without any objectives in mind. I just pick up the guitar, pick a piece and lose myself in the moment. 

Couldn't agree more
    Playing guitar is like meditation for me
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 767
    Congrats on Cordoba C12. Just had a quick flick through some pics of spruce top C12 on Thomann website and that's certainly a good looking instrument. Especially above averagely attractive red/white/black rosette with matching purfling. Very nice. Have fun.