Unusual fingerboard figuring on 2006 R8

What's Hot
WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 777
in Guitar tFB Trader
Check this one out .. Plain top .. but the fingerboard figuring is quite unusual.

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! FREE DELIVERY FOR TFB MEMBERS (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    Nice, I like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    Could it potentially be Brazilian?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    I’d reject that. On a reissue like that some uniformity of grain - and it needs to be dark - looks much better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    A quick flick through the beauty of the burst book confirms that many LP's made between 1958-1960 had paler redder boards, and many had really dark ones.  Most are consistent in colour, but quite a few do show prominent grain or colour change across the board.

The two tone look of this is not something that you see often on the old ones , but it doesn't mean it's a lesser piece of wood.  I like it

I suspect it is braz on this, you simply don't get perfectly grained dark braz in factory quantities like you could in the 50's.  I'm happy to see this is reasonably straight grained, so wouldn't balk at the colour 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    I like the fingerboard...

But the top finish bores me to tears.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    edited July 2020
    I had a 2008 R8 which had a similar fingerboard, although not quite as pronounced as this one.

Internet people seemed to think it was Madagascar rosewood.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I like the fingerboard and the top on that actually. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I like the truss rod position, a respectable distance from the nut.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20586
    I love everything about that guitar... apart from that I don't own it  :'(
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    WezV said:
    I suspect it is braz on this, you simply don't get perfectly grained dark braz in factory quantities like you could in the 50's.  I'm happy to see this is reasonably straight grained, so wouldn't balk at the colour 
    My thoughts too.

in other news it appears my phantom lol’er is about again
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    Not braz. Nothing like braz.
    terada said:
    WezV said:
    My thoughts too.

in other news it appears my phantom lol’er is about again
    No need to be afeared of phantoms since the Mods. removed their cloaks of invisibility.

Brize said:
    What makes you say that.   

I could find many examples of braz with that colour variation... But I would never say for sure from internet pics either way
    WezV said:
    Brize said:
    What makes you say that.   

I could find many examples of braz with that colour variation... But I would never say for sure from internet pics either way
    I've handled many examples of braz and I've handled many Gibson CS guitars from that era with not dissimilar figuring. It's not braz.
    Brize said:
    WezV said:
    Brize said:
    What makes you say that.   

I've handled many examples of braz and I've handled many Gibson CS guitars from that era with not dissimilar figuring. It's not braz.
    Are you saying what you think it is?

Madagascan is a definite possibility.

I go by the wood grain I see, not knowledge of whatever wood Gibson was using on all models at the time
    WezV said:

I go by the wood grain I see, not knowledge of whatever wood Gibson was using on all models at the time
    Well, good news for the seller that you've certified it as braz - it should fetch a pretty penny now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not saying the OP's is Brazilian or not, but there does appear to be a large variation in appearance, even in Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/au/item/2803587-2003-gibson-les-paul-standard-r7-prototype-brazilian-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-back-sides-ohsc
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2020
    Looks a lot like madi r/w to me. They did use it a fair amount for CS guitars in the 00's.

Regarding Brazilian rosewood, it can be anything from dark chocolate brown, through reddish with black , to orange/red with darker patterns. I have examples of 4 of variations on various guitars before we get to other South American r/woods. ( Edited to add, with wonderful emerald green streaks on very old wood in bright light)

As for the guitar in question , I really like it. If it is Madi, it is usually slightly harder than Indian, more oily, but still on occasion quite porous. Pretty much the same as Braz performance wise, if you're into that sort of thing. At the end of the day, it's a sliver of wood on a load of maple and a bigger bit of mahogany. 
    Brize said:
    WezV said:

Well, good news for the seller that you've certified it as braz - it should fetch a pretty penny now.

I'm really not trying to be a dick here fella.

If you know more about what Gibson was using in 2008 then I will bow to that knowledge.

I wouldn't rule out braz from the wood I see.  I am certainly not saying it is braz.

I also don't really care about the whole BRW thing because most of what I have seen over the last 20 years has been stumpwood that's priced at a premium.  That's true about a lot of the examples I have seen on Gibson's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    edited July 2020
    TBH this interests me more than most of the other fretboards. Less consistent but much more character.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom