Unusual fingerboard figuring on 2006 R8

What's Hot

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 777
    tFB Trader
    *Disclosure - I'm not selling this (.. yet)*

The guitar has been offered to me as a PX - hard one to judge in terms of value ... thoughts?
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! FREE DELIVERY FOR TFB MEMBERS (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2020

The guitar has been offered to me as a PX - hard one to judge in terms of value ... thoughts?
    If you are a dealer, you know the going rate for this guitar. It's a typical model of it's era, nothing special. 

Edited to say, the whole point of dealing is to know more than your customers, don't ask them to tell you what  you think you have. Your customers  buy from you based on your expertise, not on the opinion of an internet forum. ( who, in a circular kind of way are the customers you are advising). 

Many apologies if I misunderstand the motivation behind your OP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    artiebear said:

If you are a dealer, you know the going rate for this guitar. It's a typical model of it's era, nothing special. 
    True to a degree - as I said I'm not selling the guitar, I posted it here to share something a little more unusual that had (potentially) come my way. Cheers @artiebear ;;

EDITED ..
    As I said - the motivation was just to share something a little unusual as a fellow guitar fanatic - I'm a member primarily as a guitar player not dealer if that makes sense. I am however always happy to cut members a deal on anything I stock! lol

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! FREE DELIVERY FOR TFB MEMBERS (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    edited July 2020
    Fine as long as you offer the potential customer more based on the fact that you fished on a forum for someone to state that it might not be a bog standard guitar and came back with random comments that it might be. Why post some one else's guitar on a public forum in the first place with a view to eliciting  comments and gaining knowledge to further your business,  before having the guts to do a deal based on your own experience ?
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Why not do it this way?...........you can "advertise" stock you haven't financially committed to and potentially secure a profit with less risk? :-)
    edited July 2020
    It's a bit like Options in the financial markets............but probably less likely to destroy our global economy? :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    That’s lovely, reminds me of the two LP’s Slash used  to tour with
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    I do not see it as being unusual as such. It's more that the demand has been for even coloured fretboards, and that anything else is somehow deemed to be "inferior". Personally, I am perfectly happy with rosewood fretboards that look like this.
    tFB Trader
    Mods - Can you close this thread please..

Apologies for posting images of a nice guitar for the purposes of sharing something unique that members may not have seen before. Clearly lockdown has made a few folk a little over suspicious! 

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2148

Apologies for posting images of a nice guitar for the purposes of sharing something unique that members may not have seen before. Clearly lockdown has made a few folk a little over suspicious! 

I'd put the artist formerly known as ANCHORBOY in capitals - I didn't know it was you previously

That's probably my favourite LP finish but I like the board to be uniform and either shade would be fine (tend to prefer dark)
    edited July 2020

Not suspicious. Not lockdown ( working hard, making a good living)  If you want to set up as a dealer do it the right way. Learn about your product, be certain of your facts ( don't fish for comments) do business based upon your knowledge and then set up channels to advertise your stock with a strong degree of certainty, based upon your experience gained over time, which the customer can rely upon in terms of purchase and guarantee. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    I think it was just posted for our enjoyment wasn't it.

I didn't detect any hidden agenda.

Definitely one of the nicer r8s I've seen though. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74474
    I genuinely don’t understand the obsession with Brazilian rosewood. The various subspecies of rosewood and other closely-related but differently-named woods have so much variation in colour, grain pattern - and hardness and weight - that it’s simply impossible to tell what species a particular piece is just by looking at it, in many cases. Either you like the look of the fingerboard or you don’t, and there’s plenty of “Braz” which would offend those who dislike paler or streaky boards, as well as plenty of other wood which will make a much “better” board if a uniform dark colour is your criteria for that.

The only time it should matter is on an export document, and even that’s a nonsense since it singles out one particular tree species for protection when it’s not the only one that’s threatened.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Not saying the OP's is Brazilian or not, but there does appear to be a large variation in appearance, even in Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/au/item/2803587-2003-gibson-les-paul-standard-r7-prototype-brazilian-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-back-sides-ohsc
    I understand from this https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/handy-gibson-guitars-brazilian-rosewood-guide that 7 3005 is a 2002 spec model and does *not* have a Brazilian fretboard, unless I'm reading it wrong?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74474
    Point proven...

Far more importantly, it’s a goldtop :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2020
    Full apologies Windmill .........I only intended to poke a bit of gentle fun..........no upset intended and I'm happy to support anyone who is opening up a new guitar shop in N.Ireland. (I will call into to buy something next time I'm passing.)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20586
    Not saying the OP's is Brazilian or not, but there does appear to be a large variation in appearance, even in Gibsons.

https://reverb.com/au/item/2803587-2003-gibson-les-paul-standard-r7-prototype-brazilian-rosewood-fingerboard-dark-back-sides-ohsc
    I understand from this https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/handy-gibson-guitars-brazilian-rosewood-guide that 7 3005 is a 2002 spec model and does *not* have a Brazilian fretboard, unless I'm reading it wrong?
    Bollocks, that'll teach me to believe what people say without researching fully  ;)   :)
    Well done for checking :+1: 
  • hhawkinshhawkins Frets: 29
    edited July 2020
    I prefer a very dark rosewood board (almost ebony looking) on a Les Paul. It’s a key feature that I look for. The board alone on that one would put me off. Having said that, it is unusual and some folk might really dig that. 
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited July 2020
    Dismissing this as Brazilian or not based on a few internet photos is crazy.

It looks great to me, definitely makes it more of an individual instrument and I am a massive vintage 58-59 fan boy and have been for years.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    I like it.  I've had a few Fender rosewood boards with quite pronounced striping or figuring, and unless my memory's letting me down I think the Gibson R4 goldtop I owned for a while had a board rather like this one.