Rosewood on Mexis

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    you guys know about Sonokeling right.    Might be a good lesson in why Species can be misleading.   

Its exactly the same tree as EI Rosewood, but plantation grown in Indonesia.   You could easily confuse a lot of it with Pau Ferro 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    The other issue to take into account is logistics - Why spend time and money + peeing of Greta to ship Indian Rosewood to Mexico, when you can obtain Pau Ferro from a yard or two down the road and effectively it will do the same job
    Cause it looks better lol
    but 2 rosewoods are not the same anyway - Funnily enough I had this same topic come up today in the shop and the comment was 'it is darker' - I immediately showed a row of LP's to a customer and pointed out they are all the same but massively different regarding colour/texture 
    Can you tell whether a fretboard is rosewood or pau ferro from looking at it?
    I would say so yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    The other issue to take into account is logistics - Why spend time and money + peeing of Greta to ship Indian Rosewood to Mexico, when you can obtain Pau Ferro from a yard or two down the road and effectively it will do the same job
    but 2 rosewoods are not the same anyway - Funnily enough I had this same topic come up today in the shop and the comment was 'it is darker' - I immediately showed a row of LP's to a customer and pointed out they are all the same but massively different regarding colour/texture 
    If you know what you’re looking for, probably but not from things like colour or how dark it is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't much care for how fingerboards look.

Do they take on dyes well? Soon there could be a black market of tight grained cheaper woods dyed a deep, dark black-brown to sell to those who prefer it. 

If dark woods are better, we really need to let people know they need to get rid of their maple fretboards :) my favourite fretboard to look at is my prs-alike. I think it's purpleheart or wenge - very pretty, ultra smooth and hard. Just like a good rosewood, ebony or maple. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    No

there will be a range of colours and grain patterns you get in Pau Ferro, and a range of colours and grain you get from Indian Rsoewood.   There is a hell of a lot of cross over in the middle
    I agree with that - In 'extremes' at either end of the scale, then easier to see the difference - It is the middle ground, that is so common, that makes it hard to tell

My comment NO should may have been 'sometimes'
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 273
    The fretboard on my guitar, and all previous ones, has been rosewood (or something similar).

The thing is, for all these years I have hankered after a maple one - they just look good to me.

One day... :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    dazzajl said:
    I recently found out that a guitar I’d owned was
    Pau Ferro and not the Rosewood I’d believed it was. I hadn’t bothered to check and now I feel completely violated. The wood was very dark with a nice tight grain and the guitar sounded and felt wonderful, so how was I supposed to know it was so inferior??
    Exactly this. I buy guitars going by how they feel, resonate and sound. Secondary are the cosmetics. Albeit there are some guitar colours I wouldn’t buy because of their colouring though but that’s just a personal historic dislike ;)  Tobacco sunburst is one. Used to love that but hate it now. Don’t know why tbh  ;) Fickle animals aren’t we ;) 

I love my Pau Faro strat by the way all for the above reasons 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited July 2020
    name that wood

Bonus round:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    gusman2x said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    I would say so yes.
    Challenge above! Go!
    nobody playing :(

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    WezV said:
    nobody playing :(

I couldn’t tell on the guitar I owned, you think I can tell in a photo??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    A few clues perhaps.

There are 3 distinct Dalbergia (true rosewoods) species in the pictures.  
    One of those species appears twice.
    One photo contains a non-dalbergia (if you want to just try spotting the PF as an easier challenge, go for it)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    In the pao ferro ones I've seen, none of them look like any rosewood boards I've seen.

For the ones that are in between, is it that the rosewood ones are orange and light or the pf ones are dark brown?

If I found a pf board that looked to me like any of the rw boards I like then I'd be happy, it's literally only the colour I care about.
    WezV said:
    name that wood

If the one on the right is PF I'd be totally happy with it, though I've yet to see a Fender Player that looked like that.

I wouldn't really want the left one regardless what type of wood it is.
    edited July 2020
    thegummy said:
    In the pao ferro ones I've seen, none of them look like any rosewood boards I've seen.

For the ones that are in between, is it that the rosewood ones are orange and light or the pf ones are dark brown?

If I found a pf board that looked to me like any of the rw boards I like then I'd be happy, it's literally only the colour I care about.
    both,  care to pick the Pau Ferro out from the pics.

Edit- ah, you did.  i will answer later
    edited July 2020
    As a side one

this strat:

or this strat

• WezV said:
    As a side one

this strat:

or this strat

Neither, they don't have a 6 point trem! ;) 

I would take the darker boarded one aesthetically, but honestly neither are red so they're both not good strats at all. Everyone knows red =Best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I like streaking  =)

RW on Mex Strat

Ebony

WezV said:
    thegummy said:

both,  care to pick the Pau Ferro out from the pics.

Edit- ah, you did.  i will answer later
    If the one that looks like what I think rosewood looks like turns out to actually be pau ferro I will be very happy.

Means I can consider one of the PF Players and just need to travel around to find a good one.
    WezV said:
    As a side one

this strat:

or this strat

That's a pretty perfect example of what I think rosewood (black body) and pau ferro (sunburst) look like.

Again, really want to be wrong about the black one.