Capo & Intonation

SimonCSimonC Frets: 1419
I’ve been getting into playing some Johnny Marr stuff lately and found his liberal capo use quite interesting.

Unfortunately I’m finding that the capo is sending my intonation way off. 
Conventional tuning is fine and intonation is spot on. Then put a capo on 2nd fret and intonation is way out  especially further up the neck.

Any ideas how this might be remedied?
Ive tried adjusting the capo tension up and down with no better result.

Capo is a Shubb C1, and Guitar is a Squier CV tele.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6231
    I be looking at the nut. If it’s not cut low enough, it can cause all sorts of tuning issues when you use a capo. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Does the Tele have a three-saddle bridge?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1419
    Does the Tele have a three-saddle bridge?
    Yes it’s three saddle brass type.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3591
    Make sure the capo is nice and close to the fret.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited July 2020
    SimonC said:
    Yes, it’s three saddle brass type.

The intonation with those is always a compromise UNLESS the saddles are the compensated type. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

dazzajl said:
    I be looking at the nut. If it’s not cut low enough, it can cause all sorts of tuning issues when you use a capo. 
    The nut seems ok to me. Looks to be cut plenty low enough.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    That's what always puts me of a Tele. I had a 3-brass saddle Tele and loved it except for the intonation issue. Changed it to 6 brass saddles which solved the issue. I think unless you want to tune each time you put a capo on, the only solution is to change the saddles
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    This! 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    As others have said, try and position the capo close to the fret. I use a couple of Kysers for my guitars and haven't had these problems - and as I understand it the Shubb has adjustable tension so would be better than the Kyser at this. Have you got any friends with a different brand or style capo you could try just to see if the problem exists using theirs?

It could be that your ears are just much better than mine at hearing intonation problems!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    edited July 2020
    Pabcrane said:
    As others have said, try and position the capo close to the fret. I use a couple of Kysers for my guitars and haven't had these problems - and as I understand it the Shubb has adjustable tension so would be better than the Kyser at this. Have you got any friends with a different brand or style capo you could try just to see if the problem exists using theirs?
    My experience is that the Kyser - if fitted properly, right along the back edge of the fret - doesn't mess around with the tuning and intonation anywhere near as much as the Shubb. (Or at all, usually.)

The Shubb is not sprung, so in order for it to grip the strings tightly it *has* to pull them down, using the strings themselves as the spring. I am not a fan...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks all, I’ll try to get hold of a Kyser to give it a try. The Shubb does seem to give problems on my acoustic as well so it’s not just the Tele.