NGD: 50's Baja Telecaster

What's Hot
droflufdrofluf Frets: 3950
I blame my wife. I wasn't looking for another guitar and then she sent me a link for a Tele' in an auction room. I didn't get that but it did start an itch that needed scratching. Then I saw this in the classifieds:

After some hassle with UPS - which was partly my fault but they also gave me a lot of misinformation - it arrived today

Nice chunky neck and that classic Tele "twang"
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 474
    Looks like the bridge has been changed, the Baja Telecaster had three brass saddles which were flat on the bottom. I used to have a Baja Telecaster, it was well made and sounded good but it weighed more than an old Les Paul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3950
    @Henrytwang yes bridge has been changed, but I was aware before I bought it. Thanks for the heads up though. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5616
    edited July 2020
    Yip, definitely not the original saddles, the stock bridge plate is a three-saddle job. I think yours has been swapped to the American Standard bridge plate. Did the seller include the original?
    The only thing I changed on my Baja is swapping out the Fender saddles to Wilkinson compensated ones, but still just 3 of them.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931
    DiscoStu said:
    Yip, definitely not the original saddles, the stock bridge plate is a three-saddle job. I think yours has been swapped to the American Standard bridge plate. Did the seller include the original?
    The only thing I changed on my Baja is swapping out the Fender saddles to Wilkinson compensated ones, but still just 3 of them.
    That looks like a Gotoh to me, or possibly a Mex Fender. US Standard bridges have 3 screws and the Baja has 4 bridge screw holes.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2962
    Nice, been looking at these again as I love those soft V neck profiles on a Fender but don't like 7.25" radius as you usually get on a V shape for some reason. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    DiscoStu said:
    I did exactly the same.  Cheap, easy, mod but benefits the guitar greatly in my opinion.  Doesn't make me any more likely to hit the right notes but at least the notes that I do play are correctly intoned.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Fender Baja tele's are great instruments, punching well above their price point IMO.  HNGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elkayelkay Frets: 79
    Musicwolf said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I did exactly the same.  Cheap, easy, mod but benefits the guitar greatly in my opinion.  Doesn't make me any more likely to hit the right notes but at least the notes that I do play are correctly intoned.

Ditto ... but, as the great Eric Morecambe once said, all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've had to heavily resist buying this model because they just look so great.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9652
    TTBZ said:
    Nice, been looking at these again as I love those soft V neck profiles on a Fender but don't like 7.25" radius as you usually get on a V shape for some reason. 
    The baja is 9.5