What do you make of this?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
edited July 2020 in Guitar
Some of you may have seen my recent NGD post with the Phoenix 1000.

Fear not, the guitars good! 

But in that post I said I was curious how this guitar is a 2020 year of make (serial numbers a 2019 so early run) and among the first in the Uk yet already on an epic deal with Andertons having only 3 in stock in the vintage white. 

It was also labelled limited edition which I mentioned being confused about because there is no limited edition of the new Phoenix’.. 

It had its own separate listing too. 
So there were 2 ‘Pages’ for the vintage white Phoenix’s (one full price and available to order), and the other page was for the epic deal ‘limited edition’, 3 in stock. 
Then the Cherry red and black metal versions had their own page. 

Bought one and it arrived a week and a half ago.

Anyway fast fwd to today and Andertons put up an Epic deal video which the Phoenix features in (as sold out) so pretty pointless.. but they have one in the video. 

Thought I’d watch it. 

At 16:12 into the video the cap’n reveals all.. 

Turns out Ltd made a very small batch of these Vintage White Phoenix’ whereby they were not happy with the colour. 
(Yeah it is yellower than an off white/vintage white), but I never paid it much mind tbh. 

Anyway Andertons etc bought them, obviously cheaper, and thats how they came to be.  

Guitars fine, I like it, nothing wrong with it.. Its staying. 

But. 
I can’t help feeling a lil annoyed about the marketing. 

The 3 they had were effectively rejects. B stock maybe? As classed by the manufacturer.  No actual physical flaws though just too yellow in colour. 

No mention of this in the Ad regarding the colour difference and hence reason for the price. 
And with a limited edition banner on it lol.. 

I can see what they were going for but is that a little underhand? But I can also see the flip side in that the colours just a shade off and other than that its not exactly a huge deal. 

Kennys have them as B stock and mention the colour: 

It made me wonder.. I thought Epic deal were just hey, we bought bulk or end of line products etc.. now I think hmmm.. 

I dont know why it annoyed me, because I wouldnt exchange the one I’ve got for one in whatever the right shade is supposed to be, if it was offered me lol. 

Whats your thoughts on that?

I’d really like to see a ‘normal’ one in the flesh to see the how big the difference is tbh, because From what I can see I’m surprised that Ltd would have even bothered with mentioning it as its not wildly off. 

I’m sure they could have either not said anything and no one would notice, or just say hey, colours vary slightly! 

There aint many pictures of these in the wild yet. But I got curious to try and get a comparison between the shades. 
Theres not much in it and tbh some look exactly the same as mine so who knows...

Heres mine: 

The esp promo vid: 

Sweetwater stock: 

Random google image: same shade no?

Interesting!

Edit: 
Looked at the Guitar as pictured on Esp’s website and held it up next to my own.. Legit wouldnt have noticed had nothing came to light lol.. dunno why they even mentioned it! 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited July 2020
    LTD could have gone all out for the aged look by giving the “excessively” cream coloured batch of guitars an aged white pickguard and, maybe, a tiny bit of finish checking. 

Alternatively, given the gold plated hardware, black pickup surrounds and waving flag fingerboard inlays, LTD should have followed Gibson Custom conventions with a b/w/b/w/b pickguard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I love that colour. Great score. Black jeans and t shirt and that guitar would look amazing on stage. Great score.

Would I be slightly miffed that I was sold a guitar that the manufacturer deemed not right for them?
    No, I be stoked that I have an ultra rare limited run colour, and then dream about it being released as my sig model in NAMM 2030...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    I think I'd be mildly annoyed in that situation, but after a day or two that would turn into pretty much what @guitarmangler has said above.

I think the real takeaway from all of this is that you shouldn't buy any more guitars ever, as you're clearly the unluckiest man on the planet. In future when you're after something what you should do is give me the money: I'll buy it for you, play it for a couple of weeks to check it's all okay and then let you have it :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I think I'd be mildly annoyed in that situation, but after a day or two that would turn into pretty much what @guitarmangler has said above.

I think the real takeaway from all of this is that you shouldn't buy any more guitars ever, as you're clearly the unluckiest man on the planet. In future when you're after something what you should do is give me the money: I'll buy it for you, play it for a couple of weeks to check it's all okay and then let you have it :)
    Haha true this! 

Ah its all good though this time round, guitars absolutely great and deffo not going anywhere :) 

• martmart Frets: 5213
    That’s a stunning guitar, and a nicer colour than the supposedly “correct” shade. I’d just kick back and enjoy.
    Yeah, one could get annoyed at the slightly sharp marketing tactics, but why waste time and energy on that - life’s too short, just [shut up and] play yer guitar. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7447
    agree, I think it's a nicer shade, odd practice from Andertons but you came up trumps so enjoy!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    Let it go man. 
    Stop worrying  about stuff. 
    You like the guitar Right, just play it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 478
    Nice guitar! Love the yellowish color.
    Haha yeah its all good! My weapon of choice. 

Still undecided on the scratch plate but I think I’m gonna go black white black! 

The duncan custom in the bridge is nice as well.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    I reckon it's cool - wouldn't bother me at all
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 382
    I snapped one of these up too. Went for the Fishman equipped one from Coda. Love it, sustains for days. The neck feels crazy long for some reason but not a problem. Wish they did an evertune variant though. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 502
    You're a lucky person, that looks flipping great and a lot of fun.

I don't know that I'd consider it B stock in this circumstance. Just a superceded colour
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    If you've finally got a guitar that's not faulty, you got it at a good price, and you like the colour - even better than what it's "supposed" to be - then...

Let it go :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

donbot said:
    I snapped one of these up too. Went for the Fishman equipped one from Coda. Love it, sustains for days. The neck feels crazy long for some reason but not a problem. Wish they did an evertune variant though. 
    Very nice dude! 

I actually wanted the Black Metal variant initially.. 
    But I have a matte black Ltd already so was a bit sameish. 

Out of the two regular Phoenix I prefer yours in its see thru black cherry. (Can you see the neck through?).. Thats what I was keeping my eye out for! 

But I see the Vintage white come up at the price it did so went for it. I do like it, alot.. I think its because all my guitars are kind of bland though haha..

I feel like I need something blingy.. quilted maple in purple or something and abalone everywhere. Haha. 

Yeah, this is about as bling as I get. Not a fan of gold hardware but I can live with on this, it kinda works. 
    Here’s a pic of the neck through...
    https://i.imgur.com/Z3dWCoU.jpg
    I should also mention I ditched the original nut and dropped an earvana on with a set of 11-56 and tuned to C
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I'd be happy to own the guitar with that colour and the history of the colour etc, but I do think that the marketing was rather naughty. Having said that, I usually do my homework on stuff and check out an item as fully as possible including prices elsewhere etc. I'd probably have  called them and enquired about the Ltd status if I couldn't find info online.
    donbot said:
    Yeah, this is about as bling as I get. Not a fan of gold hardware but I can live with on this, it kinda works. 
    Here’s a pic of the neck through...
    https://i.imgur.com/Z3dWCoU.jpg
    That looks great man. Love the look of a neck through under see through finish.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    I don't really understand why they'd even be labelled as B stock, unless the colour was uneven or that particular finish was prone to cracking or something.

Calling it a limited edition was a bit out of order, but if the price was right and you're happy with it.... seems all good to me.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    donbot said:
    That is gorgeous, I like that a lot :)

My Kelly hung more to the left on a strap than my Les Paul style guitars, back when I was gigging; maybe that's why it's making the neck feel long?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)