NGD: It's a Phantom

grayngrayn Frets: 975
These days, playing wise, I tend to move between vintage R'n'R/Rockabilly and Heavy rock, with elements of metal, prog and space.
My current guitar collection of Tele, SG and Duesenberg semi, lean more toward the vintage stuff, although the SG and Duesey certainly can rock out, pushing heavy overdrive rather nicely.
But I wanted something a bit more "widdly", if that makes sense.
A guitar with a slightly more extreme feel, sound and charisma.
I'd been looking at a pre-owned Ibanez Prestige AZ series guitar and a Cort X700.
Both amazingly specced guitars but TBH, I just don't like the look of Ibanez's AZ guitars, kind of bland and uninspiring.
I want to like them but I can't and the X700 is hard to locate and I'd need to do a pretty long drive to try before I buy .
My nearest, decent guitar shop is Aire Valley Guitars, in Keighley.
I've bought a lot of stuff from them, over the years and am a good mate of Tony, the owner.
A few months ago, they started stocking a good range of Hagstrom guitars, Vikings, Swedes, Ultra Swedes etc.
Then, in came a Hagstrom Fantomen (translated: The Phantom), now this did have that edgy look/feel I was looking for.
I didn't try it initially but had a good scrutinize and went home, to find out more.
It had been designed with the assistance of the Swedish metal band, Ghost.
I watched a few vids of folk reviewing/playing the Phantomen and decided it was definitely a contender.
The funny thing was that most reviewers compared it's appearance to a Gibson Explorer, whereas to my eyes, it is far closer to Gibbo's RD Artist.

So a few days ago I went in to try the Fantomen and got a very good feeling, as soon as I picked it up.
It's a solid guitar but far from heavy, especially considering it's size/design.
Everything I'd been playing on my other guitars recently, just felt even better on this rather unusually shaped, asymmetric beauty.
And the Johan Lungren pickups didn't disappoint either, with the attack and definition I want, sounding really good clean and articulating the monster overdrive, just brilliantly.
Yes, I was impressed but had one fear, how would it balance on a strap?
I knew Explorers can have a problem with neck dive, I had no idea if the RD Artist did.
So we fitted it with a real thin, weedy strap that would not make up for any balance problems.
And thank the gods of rock, the Fantomen balanced perfectly, solid as a rock.
So today I went to get this Hagstrom and brought it home, to get it through my own gear.
I love the neck on this Fantomen, with it's flatish, 15 inch radius and lovely, easy on the hand, profile.
It came perfectly set up for fast playing, with a solid but very low action, that was great for expressive and aggressive playing. 
I'd say the Lungren pickups are probably medium output, that push overdive very sweetly if needed or with plenty of balls, if played that way.
Never even heard of Johan Lungren before but I have to say, he knows how to design some great pickups.
You have the option to coil tap these humbuckers and this adds some lovely jangle, on clean settings.
I bought this guitar for my heavier material and it is a joy to play it on this Fantomen.
And I have to say that strapped on, it looks really cool, to my eyes.
The Fantomen doesn't come with a bag or case and it's unusual shape and size means I'll probably have to get one from Hagstrom.
I tried it in my bass gigbag but it was just a little too broad at the base, for it.
Overall then, a very, very nice guitar with looks you'll probably love or hate.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    That looks really nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Never seen one of them before. Looks good. I even like the weird pickguard
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Looks lovely, super swish. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Nice one! 

Fwiw, they’re absolutely based on the RD - the Ghouls from Ghost B.C. both played RDs until getting these signatures from Hagstrom. Fun band too, worth going to see as & when concerts open up again
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    I saw a picture of someone with one of those a while back & thought it looked really cool. Congratulations mate, that's a proper stunner! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Nice. 

Tony @ Aire Guitar’s is on of the good guys,when I used to work in Keighley I used to pop in now and again and he was always every welcoming and good for a chat. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Looks awesome that! Nice one.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Nath_R89Nath_R89 Frets: 5
    A friend of mine has one in black really nice guitar & very cool congrats!!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited July 2020
    Nice. 

Tony @ Aire Guitar’s is on of the good guys,when I used to work in Keighley I used to pop in now and again and he was always every welcoming and good for a chat. 
    Nice Phantom,  that's stunning.

I remember Tony Tremolo from the old shop in Eccleshill. Will have to pay him a visit when I'm in Keighley. I had no idea he opened a business after Aire Guitars shut. I was shocked when I heard of Andy Wordsworth's death, didn't have any idea he had problems.
  • grayngrayn Frets: 975
    mbe said:
    Nice. 

I remember Tony Tremolo from the old shop in Eccleshill. Will have to pay him a visit when I'm in Keighley. I had no idea he opened a business after Aire Guitars shut. I was shocked when I heard of Andy Wordsworth's death, didn't have any idea he had problems.
    This Tony is Tony McColgan.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    grayn said:
    mbe said:
    Nice. 

This Tony is Tony McColgan.
    Sorry I must have him mixed up with Tony who worked at Aire Guitars in Bradford in the early 00s.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited July 2020
    Nice
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    Nice, i like a Hagstrom... And i like that! Enjoy.