Quoting issue

What's Hot
SO when using my phone (Android using Chrome) and my pc (Windoze 10 with Chrome), quoting can be a massive ballache. 

Process: 

1.  Click Quote on the post you wish to quote
2.  click in the box to reply
3.  the cursor goes into the grey quoted text
4.  It stays in there for ever and never comes out meaning you reply like a n00b. 
5. Cry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Tap the Enter/new line button a few times, then go back to the top of the text box, then click Quote. Go to the bottom of the text box (ie one of the new lines)...job jobbed.
    <space for hire>
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Tap the Enter/new line button a few times, then go back to the top of the text box, then click Quote. Go to the bottom of the text box (ie one of the new lines)...job jobbed.

Lol! The main problem occurs of you delete back into the quotation box... May not have explained that very well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    Lol! The main problem occurs of you delete back into the quotation box... May not have explained that very well
    Ah, yeah.

Don't do that.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, known issue?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Happens to me lot. On a good day I'll type what I want with space above then add the quote. The back delete thing is a particular PIA because you think you're doing alright and then whammo stuck in quotes forever.
    If I also quote then decide against it I can delete the content but not the quote box. Not a big issue just looks a bit random. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jetfire said:
    Ah, known issue?

Yes
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    If you do stuff it up, just click the "code" button at the right of the toolbar - </> - and type some shit after the </blockquote> bit.

if you want to be super clever type <p>Some shit</p> or <br>Some shit then switch out of the code view and replace "Some shit" with what you wanted to put there.
    Haha I did look at the code but my html ain't what it used to be
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I've been using <br> with good effect. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Snags said:
    If you do stuff it up, just click the "code" button at the right of the toolbar - </> - and type some shit after the </blockquote> bit.

if you want to be super clever type <p>Some shit</p> or <br>Some shit then switch out of the code view and replace "Some shit" with what you wanted to put there.
    Unfortunately the code button isn't there on mobile, which is where the problem occurs. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14425
    A second quoting problem occurs when modmins decide that quoted controversial text copy should be deleted. This approach destroys non-controversial responses at the same time. (Sledgehammer, nut. Baby, bath water.) There must be a better way but it probably takes more time than anyone is willing to expend on it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    ... it probably takes more time than anyone is willing to expend on it.
    If it’s not an on topic thread then it not going to get a lot of attention.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    ... it probably takes more time than anyone is willing to expend on it.
    If it’s not an on topic thread then it not going to get a lot of attention.
    Not sure I follow that, sorry?
    A second quoting problem occurs when modmins decide that quoted controversial text copy should be deleted. This approach destroys non-controversial responses at the same time. (Sledgehammer, nut. Baby, bath water.) There must be a better way but it probably takes more time than anyone is willing to expend on it.
    What are you talking about?

There has never been an example where a post was deleted and on-topic discussion was removed. When we remove a post, we examine every place it was quoted and make a judgement call as to whether it's worth including for the good of the discussion at hand, or whether it was just carrying on the argument that led to the comment that caused the problem in the first place.

We actually spend a hell of a lot of time on this, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're saying.
    <space for hire>