Comments split from Classified thread

What's Hot
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1968/9 gibson les paul goldtop(top refinish)6k or poss trades.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    You need pictures or I’ll pull this ad.
    Not sure if that is a joke as I can't wait to see some pics as well - sounds like a very cool guitar.   

If it's not a joke then it's a strange comment to make as there isn't a rule saying pics "must" be included and he is offering to email them in the same way many other sellers do.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited August 2020
    John_P said:
    Not sure if that is a joke as I can't wait to see some pics as well - sounds like a very cool guitar.   

If it's not a joke then it's a strange comment to make as there isn't a rule saying pics "must" be included and he is offering to email them in the same way many other sellers do.
    Quite simply, without pics we have no way of knowing if the OP is selling a fake or anything else that we do not allow. That’s why we need pictures. The rules quoted have been superseded by the requirement to ensure no fakes are listed. 

Why would a moderator joke about a classified?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:

Quite simply, without pics we have no way of knowing if the OP is selling a fake or anything else that we do not allow. That’s why we need pictures. The rules quoted have been superseded by the requirement to ensure no fakes are listed. 

Was there something in the ad that made you suspect it was a fake or had a logo that didn’t belong on the guitar?      Totally agree that replicas with a logo shouldn’t be allowed and pics help with that but If you’re asking for pics to prove something isn’t a fake that  could apply to anything that anyone could be selling and unless I’m misunderstanding the point then pics are now a requirement for all sales rather than recommended.  
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited August 2020
    John_P said:
    John_P said:

Was there something in the ad that made you suspect it was a fake or had a logo that didn’t belong on the guitar?      Totally agree that replicas with a logo shouldn’t be allowed and pics help with that but If you’re asking for pics to prove something isn’t a fake that  could apply to anything that anyone could be selling and unless I’m misunderstanding the point then pics are now a requirement for all sales rather than recommended.  
    The rules link that Hattigol posted is out of date. 

The rules link at the top of the Guitars £ section clearly says:

3.You should post some good quality pictures.  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to

Which means exactly what it says. 

I have also split this discussion out from the classifieds as it's grossly unfair on the person trying to sell their Guitar. 
    There was nothing in the ad that made me suspect, other than there were no pictures, which is a) against rule 3 and b) means we can't determine what the item actually is. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    ... or, equally importantly, its condition.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • John_P said:
    John_P said:

3.You should post some good quality pictures.  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to

I have also split this discussion out from the classifieds as it's grossly unfair on the person trying to sell their Guitar. 
    There was nothing in the ad that made me suspect, other than there were no pictures, which is a) against rule 3 and b) means we can't determine what the item actually is. 
    Here's the problem though, the word 'should' is not synonymous with the word 'must'. Saying 'you should post pictures' has literally a different meaning to 'you must post pictures'. 

When at least one of the other rules says "you must..." then it seems very harsh to me to interpret a separate rule that says "you should..." in the same manner. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    A picture is worth a thousand words.  Why would you not post a picture.....unless there's something to hide ?
    John_P said:
    John_P said:

Here's the problem though, the word 'should' is not synonymous with the word 'must'. Saying 'you should post pictures' has literally a different meaning to 'you must post pictures'. 

When at least one of the other rules says "you must..." then it seems very harsh to me to interpret a separate rule that says "you should..." in the same manner. 

Indeed.   When I queried this in the past at a time I was struggling to post photo's from my phone, the mods made it clear that at the time, should meant it was recommended and good practise rather than a strict requirement, like for example a price in the ad. 

However it has been explained to me that the situation has changed and photos are now a requirement. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    edited August 2020
    It does rattle me when people dont post pics. Its just laziness, and its piss easy to post as well.

Furhtermore, it helps you to sell the item ! Win win.

It should be compulsory, and im happy to chase em up for you in the classifieds.
  • It also annoys me when people don't post pics, but if its going to be compulsory then the rules have to be modified accordingly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom