whats the state of play for outdoor pub gigs ?

mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
as title 
are they allowed ? was going to see a band last night but the pub owner pulled the gig saying no outdoor gigs are allowed ? is this correct ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 6999
    It’s not true, but ultimately the pub owner needs to claw back the cost of the band and the acreage occupied (which you could otherwise use to seat paying customers) through increased sales.

If they reckon they’re going to fill the place - which is a much lower threshold now with social distancing - without a band, they’ll keep live music off the menu.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

One of my bands was hired to do an outdoor gig put on by Portsmouth City council so outdoor gigs are allowed as far as I know. 
    I have an idea to us to play in a factory and stream the performance to whatever pub wants to pay a small fee. We did a tester on FB live last week using high quality audio direct from the desk into the video .... People in various local pubs can then use their phones to type in requests while watching the  band on the big screens normally used for football. Might not be a goer but it's an idea.  In my area music is a big thing for pubs with the busiest pub hosting 2 bands a week every week. People won't keep going just to sit and drink pints, they can do that in Spoons 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • We are playing tomorrow again... outdoor of course. 

Not tried streaming but there is a new, local drive in cinema that has set up that broadcasts the audio to car radios.  Be good for a bigger gig event and help deal with weather.
  • We’ve just done 2 outdoor gigs this weekend...one multi-band charity event and a weekend camping event that wanted a band. No issues at either, though punters needed to be reminded re social distanced dancing!

Great to be back out playing, though suspect we might not get anything again for a while
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I can't work out how to share the link but the comedy promoter Funny Beesesness is on my Facebook and he's been selling out outdoor gigs with some reasonable sized names ( Paul Sinha played this weekend). Looks like relatively small audiences due to social distancing but it's a return nonetheless.
    I've got a local rugby club on Facebook and they've been putting on live bands outside each Saturday night. 
    I don't know how the drive in gigs at the NEC have been going, I know one was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. 
    By late September this isn't going to work anymore so if you are going to or going to play outdoor gigs this is your moment of opportunity to grasp. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited August 2020
    We’ve just done 2 outdoor gigs this weekend...one multi-band charity event and a weekend camping event that wanted a band. No issues at either, though punters needed to be reminded re social distanced dancing!

Great to be back out playing, though suspect we might not get anything again for a while
    Purely as a matter of interest did every band bring their own mics for the charity event? And how was changeovers handled?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited August 2020
    We’ve just done 2 outdoor gigs this weekend...one multi-band charity event and a weekend camping event that wanted a band. No issues at either, though punters needed to be reminded re social distanced dancing!

Purely as a matter of interest did every band bring their own mics for the charity event? And how was changeovers handled?
    @maltingsaudio Yes, everyone was asked to bring their own mics (we would have done even if not asked) and bands were responsible for their own kit at changeover (though there was a shared drum kit (except for breakables)). It seemed really well organised in that respect...they had been liaising with the Police about it though so I think they were making sure everything was done by the book
  • @markslade07 That’s good to know there’s been a lot of discussion about how stage crews should do their work with social distancing glad to know at least someone is behaving responsibly 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • @maltingsaudio Yeh, I can only imagine what a pita it must be for the stage/ sound guys, but these guys the other night were great so it can be done!
  • I played my 6th outdoor gig last night back last night. 5 at same venue who have genuinely never been busier or made more money. These aren't huge shows, but still better paying than rough arse pubs. About 7 scheduled for rest of month. I keep away from the proles, do my stuff and leave, which sadly takes away a lot of the fun, but its a start.