old epi scratchplate screw no longer biting - fix?

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
one of the scratchplate screws on my epi caballero fell out at the weekend and is not adequately biting into the mahogany top.

gut instinct would be to shave off a bit of matchstick to pad out the hole but i don't know if that's especially unwise with an acoustic top. any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    I probably would, with a spot of glue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    Yes - wood glue, short piece of matchstick (don’t worry if it pokes out on the inside) and put the screw back in with the glue wet, with your finger on the inside so the matchstick doesn’t just get pushed through into the body.

Just for once you do want a matchstick not a toothpick/cocktail stick - they’re softer and will remove any risk of splitting the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    thanks for the advice guys, i will source some proper wood glue (at long last) and sort this out.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    I bought some Titebond (Original) on ebay a couple of weeks ago; I think that's what I'll be using for these fixes from now-on.