Prince covering Jimi

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
Love Jimi. Love Prince. Love this song. Great cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAihHc5s5Fw
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Yeah, liked that.

Prince was amazing, so sad that he died. I always wanted him to release an incredible guitar album, I know he had it in him. Just guitar, bass drums and singing. I wonder if there's anything in that vault of his?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7247
    If the estate are of a mind they could probably do a whole album just of Jimi songs, let alone everyone else...

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 255
    Sounds like jimi, but you can tell it’s prince. Funking brilliant. Thanks for sharing not heard that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• RomainRomain Frets: 15
    axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

Prince was amazing, so sad that he died. I always wanted him to release an incredible guitar album, I know he had it in him. Just guitar, bass drums and singing. I wonder if there's anything in that vault of his?
    Have you listened to The Rainbow Children?

try it if not, very intimate album especially when compared with his 90s productions.
  • axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

The last 'band' he formed, 3rd Eye Girl, was essentially exactly that. I saw them tour in 2014, they were bloody brilliant.

Only got one full album out off them before he passed, but it was decent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectrumelectrum

Outrageously talented musicians, especially Ida Nielsen who is an absolute monster on the bass!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8356
    Absolutely incredible guitar player. Love him. Musical genius.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Aren't his estate notrious for pulling YT stuff? Yeah, he was the real deal alright. Monster.
    Sadly missed
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Ever since he passed it has been a free for all on YT. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for sharing.

One of the absolute best.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    soma1975 said:

I'm not sure I was ready for that amount of swagger (and effortless proficiency) on a Monday morning.

Man, Prince really was the whole package.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    soma1975 said:

I'm not sure I was ready for that amount of swagger (and effortless proficiency) on a Monday morning.

Man, Prince really was the whole package.
    Agreed that was incredible to fit that much awesomeness into 3 minutes. 

Just a thought - try to imagine what a Prince/Jimi collaboration would do to the space/time continuum. Mindblowing
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

Title track
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Greatape said:
    axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

Title track

The whole era around The Gold Album (93-96) produced a load of guitar heavy music (as well as some bat-shit crazy stuff -he wrote and filmed a rock opera/dance performance during this period). If you can find the original unreleased versions of a lot of tracks they are great raw rockers. The ones that ended up getting released (a few on the Gold and Chaos and Disorder albums) tended to suffer from over-production, but are pretty awesome nonetheless.
    During this time Prince would often perform his aftershows with his power trio - Michael Bland on drums, Sonny T on bass and Prince on guitar. Good rocking stuff.
    During his residency at the O2 in London he did a lot of rock stuff during the aftershows.
    If you don't know the story behind The Undertaker, Prince intended to give the CD away with a guitar magazine (which one slips my mind). Discs were pressed and ready to ship out when WB nixed the idea and ordered all the discs destroyed.
    Instead of crushing them, they were covered with a clear sealer (known among the collecting community as "shellac" but I'm pretty sure it wasn't). A bunch of these discs "escaped" from wherever they were being stored and made it onto the market. Some clever soul worked out how to remove the clear coating and make the discs playable again.
    It is/was one of the rarest/most coveted Prince bootlegs back in the day along with original pressings of the Black Album. I'm not sure if it still is.
    I've got a playable copy...

Prince filmed the recording and turned it into a trippy art film and released it on VHS and laserdisc.

He was definitely heading in a rock direction with the 3rd Eye Girl Band. Can't say I'm overly fond of the released stuff but all the live stuff I've seen is great.

One of my favourite live rockers, from way back in 93. The aftershows were awesome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Greatape said:
    axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

Title track

The whole era around The Gold Album (93-96) produced a load of guitar heavy music (as well as some bat-shit crazy stuff -he wrote and filmed a rock opera/dance performance during this period). If you can find the original unreleased versions of a lot of tracks they are great raw rockers. The ones that ended up getting released (a few on the Gold and Chaos and Disorder albums) tended to suffer from over-production, but are pretty awesome nonetheless.
    During this time Prince would often perform his aftershows with his power trio - Michael Bland on drums, Sonny T on bass and Prince on guitar. Good rocking stuff.
    During his residency at the O2 in London he did a lot of rock stuff during the aftershows.
    If you don't know the story behind The Undertaker, Prince intended to give the CD away with a guitar magazine (which one slips my mind). Discs were pressed and ready to ship out when WB nixed the idea and ordered all the discs destroyed.
    Instead of crushing them, they were covered with a clear sealer (known among the collecting community as "shellac" but I'm pretty sure it wasn't). A bunch of these discs "escaped" from wherever they were being stored and made it onto the market. Some clever soul worked out how to remove the clear coating and make the discs playable again.
    It is/was one of the rarest/most coveted Prince bootlegs back in the day along with original pressings of the Black Album. I'm not sure if it still is.

Prince filmed the recording and turned it into a trippy art film and released it on VHS and laserdisc.

He was definitely heading in a rock direction with the 3rd Eye Girl Band. Can't say I'm overly fond of the released stuff but all the live stuff I've seen is great.

One of my favourite live rockers, from way back in 93. The aftershows were awesome.

I think I still have the VHS. Also had (have?) One released around the same time with a full band, which has Levi doing a solo Benson style (the refrain was something like 'Put your house in order, put your shoes on straight'?)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9121
    edited August 2020
    Greatape said:
    axisus said:
    Yeah, liked that.

Title track

That version of Peach is utterly fucking brilliant.  Apparently it was after a 2 hour Wembley show, and then another 2 hour afterparty, at about 3 in the morning...  True genius.  RIP.

***edit: just read it was 5 in the morning.  Mental
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10588
    Did anyone find out where his Tele went after he threw it up in the air? 
    It slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10588
    JerkMoans said:
    It slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God.

And God said 'Its just a Hohner. Back to Earth you go'.

Kidding ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Found this online, for anyone who's in the mood...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer